Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2007, 2:32 PM   #1

Hi All,

Motivated by recent posts by Tom and Harriet, and since I was taking Mom to a gardening center to shop for Mother's Day. I also brought an old gf of mine to help her shop so I could shoot some of the flowers. This is a good place for me to do this because I don't have to bend or kneel down to get an angle on the flowers -- my knees are still a little shaky from the problems that I had with them last year.

K10, D FA 100/2.8 Macro. This isn't my forte, so any suggestions anyone might offer, especially concerning composition, would be greatly appreciated. . .

For some reason, the exif is being stripped from the images -- All were shot between f14-f18 at between 1/80 - 1/125 sec, ISO 320. Looking at my shots from the day as a whole, I realize that I have to start being more aware of my backgrounds for these types of shots. . .

Scott

Edit: Okay, Duhhhh! after getting some complaints about file size in a previous post, I started using PSP XI's file optimizer option to check file sizes for saving resized stuff that I wanted to post, and didn't have the save exif box checked. . . I DID have the box checked for standard jpeg saves, and assumed that would be the default. . .
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 3:56 PM   #2

These look great to me Scott, you really got great DOF on that second shot with the flower in focus from tip to tip. The only critique I could offer would be on the last one and that is more personal preference. I find having OOF elements (does the term "bokeh" only refer to OOF background or can it be foreground too?) in front of the subject somewhat distracting and try to avoid them when I can, but again, that is just my preference.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 10:26 PM   #3

I agree with Tim about the OOF foreground on the last one (is fine for birds, but distracting for flowers to me). I love the third one, definitely my favorite, fourth is also well done. I think I would prefer the second one with less DOF - I find the background distracting. Composition is the hardest thing for me - I'm really hit-or-miss when it comes to this. I can't decide what I think about the first one - there's a number of elements I really like about it, and some I don't (think the OOF background isn't enough OOF for my tastes, but any less DOF would probably put part of your subject flower out of focus, and the fact it's all in focus is one of the things I like about this picture). This is the type of picture that always frustrates me, so I'd be interested in what others think about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4

Lovely shots. Good DoF and icredibly sharp.

No advice need, but maybe a few pointers could be shared!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 9:59 AM   #5

Hi Darren, Tim, and Harriet,

Finally got my phone and DSL straightened out -- showed me (again) how much I take such services for granted -- until they don't work. . . :shock:

Thanks for the comments and critiques. Very good as encouragement, and making things apparent that I obviously missed.

The foreground OOF is something that I probably didn't even see in the VF, just visible stopped down, but I'll be more careful looking at the subject before trying to frame it in the camera in the future.

I also need to be more careful in choosing the angle that I shoot from, eliminating distracting background elements. I make a point of noticing this when shooting people, but I think that the significant challenge of just trying to get the focus right pretty much took all the attention that I could muster. I'm too used to taking whatever presents itself as what I shoot. In the case of flowers, I can, at least to some extent, set the shot up, as opposed to birds, where I usualy have no choice, and always have the excuse of "I just made the most of what was there".

It looks like I just need to pay more attention, period -- it's always good to try something new in your photography, then get good feeback from those more experienced, or just from a different perspective. That's just one of the reasons I like this forum. . .

Thanks again,

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 5:24 PM   #6

Scott - if you ever get this flower photography sorted out, let me know how you did it. I've been doing it for a while off and on, and am often frustrated more than I am pleased with whatI shoot. It's turned out to be much harder than I would have imagined (I knew birds were hard to begin with, but how hard can it be to take a picture of a stationary flower, right? Wrong!). I really do think you've got some very nice ones here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:16 PM   #7

snostorm wrote
Quote:

On this one I would warm up the white balance a bit. Get a nice slight yellower cast to make it really look like the bright sunlight it is.

The above seems kind of oversharpened, and any details in the petals has been obliterated. Maybe underexposing would help? I don't know enogh to really tell...

What a great choice of subject. The tentacle thingies (heh) really stand out
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote