Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2007, 6:06 PM   #1

First pictures (intended foruse elsewhere) with the K10D. Hadn't used this lens for closeups yet - only indoors with the Sigma 500 Super flash, where it performed flawlessly on the K100D. I have other lenses intended by their makers for use closeup, but although Sigma (properly) doesn't callthis one"macro" it does focus close up and I wanted to see how it does in "real world" photography. The 2.8 (mistyped in the subtitle as 2.3) aperture (72mm) makes it a versatile lens, but also makes it kind of heavy --although it is not especially large -- and with the heft of the K10D it makes a heavy package.

The pictures were taken in a light tent, hand held in green mode (just to see how it would do by itself without intervention) w/SR on, daylight bulb illumination, 2MP size before cropping. Minimal Q&D editing (more could be done, but good enough for my purposes) editing/compositing in Adobe's old Photo Deluxe (relatively minimal capabilities, but it's quick and itdoes layers). Not toobad for the relativelyminimal time invested.

The little antique silver teapot is 7" high. The maker's name stamp measures 1/2" long. The parts in thetwo larger insets look unsharp because they are worn from 200 years of polishing.

This is different from whatpeople usually post here. I've done a lot of bird photography, but that was for myprofession -- this is for my hobby.

Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 9:08 PM   #2

Nice shot and I like how you did the insets. Now you have to explain more. What is your profession if it involves photographing birds and what exactly is your hobby that involves antique silver (I assume collecting, but is it all antiques, only tea sets, only silver?) Inquiring minds want to know.

I am glad to hear that you like the Sigma 24-135. I have one and my wife likes it on those rare occasions when she is allowed to use here camera. I find that while it can produce good shots for me the AF seems to misjudge more often with this lens than any other AF lens I have.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3

Thaks, Tim. I am a biologist, retired from University teaching. As far as the photography, I taught courses in Ornithology for 37years (among other things), and used slides I tookof birds extensively in my teaching and testing.I used Sigma 400 and 500 f4.5 Apo's and the Maxxum AF 500 f8 mirror (my favorite workhorse lens for BIF - light, fast focusing and very sharp) with ISO 400 Ektachromes at 1/1000 and 21/2000 sec for most of my bird photography (after Minolta came out with its autofocus), which was not geared to prize winning photos, but to shots that would illustrate behavior, anatomical features, habitats, etc., as well as identification. I used other lenses and films for zoo photography.

I also have interests in the history of science and scientific instruments - you can see a (rather lengthy) Powerpoint slide show of mineon the origin and development of the light microscope at http://www.msscweb.org; most of the photos are mine or else are edited by me for uniformity. As for my interest in silver, many of the early American scientific instrument makers were also silversmiths, and I have accumulated some examples of their work, which has led mr to participate as a moderator in another group of discussion forums - this one in antique silver, where this composite was destined for illustration of certain design features.

Retirement is like that - keeps you busy doing things you never had tiime for when you worked for a living.

As for the Sigma 24-135, I have found that I getmore consistentfocus with the SR on and thefocusing mode on continuous rather than single, as the DOF is rather shallow at wider apertures and the combined weight of the lens and K10 causes the hands to shift position slightly after the focus is locked in single focus mode. I didn'tnotice that problem as much with the lighter K100 body, but normally the lens is only used when I need the wider apertures.

There you have it. Does this satisfy your curiousity?It is a long answer - but when you ask a Professor a question, you get a lecture!

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the explanation - I couldn't figure it out from your original post, either. I don't know which impresses me more - the fact you are a retired prof. or your antique silver interest. Antique silver is fascinating, the workmanship can be so beautiful compared with today's utilitarian sets. But then, I was talking to someone the other day about how AutoCAD drawings just don't portray the true beauty like an ink on linen drawing does.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 5:01 PM   #5

penolta wrote:
Quote:
There you have it. Does this satisfy your curiousity?It is a long answer - but when you ask a Professor a question, you get a lecture!
Thanks, and yes it does. It sounds like a cool career. My retirement dream involves taking classes on any subject that interests me for the rest of my life which pretty much amounts to "keeping busy doing the things I don't have time for now."

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote