Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2007, 6:18 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My daughter (12) takes lessons at a local stable. Usually she rides in an indoor arena where a flash is required (but not allowed). On Monday however, she had her lesson outside. I therefore put the DL and the Pentax 50-200 to work.

I thought the dust on the trail created a nice effect

Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 6:20 PM   #2

Nice photos of a terrific subject and her horse.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 6:38 PM   #3

I agree, the trail dust is a nice effect and helps contribute to a very nice shot. My only suggestion on the first one would be to zoom out just a little bit and/or compose lower so that the horses feet are not cut off. I won't show these to my thirteen year old daughter, she would be too jealous.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 6:50 PM   #4

Funny you said that Tim...my stepdaughter (also 12) was walking past as I looking at the post & she says "Wow, What a beautiful horse! Can I take riding lessons this summer??"

Those are nice shots but I would have to agree ...should have been zoomed out just a bit & it really would have strengthened the composition a lot! Otherwise, the dust really helped.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 8:16 PM   #5

Me too, the second one is great.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 9:37 PM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I agree, the trail dust is a nice effect and helps contribute to a very nice shot. My only suggestion on the first one would be to zoom out just a little bit and/or compose lower so that the horses feet are not cut off. I won't show these to my thirteen year old daughter, she would be too jealous.

Tim
Tim (& Ron): Thanks for the suggestion re. the composition. Honestly, I did not notice the feet being cut off until the both of you mentioned it!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sorry, can't help either of you with your own daughters wanting to ride! Mine has been riding since she was 8 and is horse crazy!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Old May 17, 2007, 12:53 AM   #7

Nice pictures - the second one is very nice. However, has your daughter lost a stirrup? Andthat isn'tnormallythe saddle a cowgirl rides in (saddlebred? or walking horse?might be dressage saddle, but can't see enough of it to tell and perhaps saddle styles have changed since I quit riding). Interesting things former horse-crazy girls notice, isn't it? First come riding lessons, then comes the horse. Encourage your daughters to take up photography - it's cheaper.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 3:50 AM   #8

I really like #2, but I also agree with the others. It's one of my most common errors, I forget to make the composition in the viewfinder and spontaneously put the main subject in the centre instead.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 6:39 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Nice pictures - the second one is very nice. However, has your daughter lost a stirrup? Andthat isn'tnormallythe saddle a cowgirl rides in (saddlebred? or walking horse?might be dressage saddle, but can't see enough of it to tell and perhaps saddle styles have changed since I quit riding). Interesting things former horse-crazy girls notice, isn't it? First come riding lessons, then comes the horse. Encourage your daughters to take up photography - it's cheaper.
Harriet, My daughter rides "English" on Saddlebred Horses. Re. losing her stirrup, that is part of an exercise to build up leg muscle. Very difficult apparently since one has to keep one's posture with only using only one stirrup while trotting. My daughter is interested in photography by the way, but only when she can use Dad's camera with the big lenses:-)

Jay
Old May 17, 2007, 9:13 AM   #10

Thought it looked like a Saddlebred type of saddle. I've never tried riding with one stirrup - it would be interesting and your balance would be different. We used to just ride without stirrups at all, something I would think would be much easier. Thanks for the information. Thought the martingale was an interesting arrangement - different from what hunter/jumpers use, too. Thanks for posting the pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote