Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1

Hi All,

I saved a life yesterday -- found this guy wandering around the parking lot a little way from the bird beach. . . luckily I didn't mistake him for a rock and run him over. When I saw what I'd just avoided, I stopped the car, grabbed him carefully, and slid him down the incline to the stream in which the beach is located. I was so worried about getting bitten that I didn't think to take pics of him taking off. By the time I returned with the cam, he was gone. . . I'm a little paranoid about snappers. . .

I was a little worried about this guy because his shell was so dried and weathered looking, but I guess he's okay. . . he wasn't that big, his shell was about 7" long.

I took these shots a few days ago -- one of the biggest snappers I'd ever seen -- he was strolling down a different part of the bird beach stream -- probably came from one of the nearby lakes, but he had to travel overland a bit to get there. This guy is obviously quite a bit older than the parking lot one -- I understand that they can live for 30 years and get to be about 18" long on the shell, and this one was at least that big, and probably that old!

I used the onboard flash to zoom in on the head

Definitely an old-timer -- I obviously didn't get too close to this one!

These guys aren't quite as photogenic as Harriet's Painted Turtles, but they are interesting.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 7:59 AM   #2

I love the pattern on the first turtle's head - certainly different than our painted turtles. It's amazing how different the various types are - they seem like so unlikely creatures. I've found that they are actually harder to take goodpictures of than squirrels - there's either reflections from the water, the shells are dull when dry, and they are somewhat reflective so I get blown-out bits against the darker parts. With squirrels (at least the ones in the botanical gardens) all you need is a quick focus and a reasonably fast shutter speed (and it helps to keep an eye on where you are walking - I almost stepped on one once).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:54 AM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I saved a life yesterday -- found this guy wandering around the parking lot a little way from the bird beach. . . luckily I didn't mistake him for a rock and run him over. When I saw what I'd just avoided, I stopped the car, grabbed him carefully, and slid him down the incline to the stream in which the beach is located. I was so worried about getting bitten that I didn't think to take pics of him taking off. By the time I returned with the cam, he was gone. . . I'm a little paranoid about snappers. . .

I was a little worried about this guy because his shell was so dried and weathered looking, but I guess he's okay. . . he wasn't that big, his shell was about 7" long.
Good job on doing the right thing. I like photos of turtles they have that I don't care attitude in their photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Here is one on her way to lay eggs crossing the lawn.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 5:58 PM   #5

Harriet -- these guys weren't too challenging to shoot -- just snaps really, to remember what I saw -- on the water in the sun, with all the reflections, that's a different story. . . I find squirrels a lot harder -- they're so quick. . . I'm continually frustrated by them.

Roger -- I agree -- oblivious is the word I'd use -- they're probably thinking that we're way too frantic . . .

Tom -- that's an Alligator Snapper, and looks to be a big one! The expression on her face is unreal, and I really like the algae and water plants on her shell. Now that you mention it, the big one that I shot is probably a female looking to find a spot to lay her eggs also -- and I had assumed a male . . .

Scott

Old May 17, 2007, 8:32 PM   #6

Love those turtle shots. Think the first one that was saved, was a map turtle. Very good of you to save that turtle. I wish more people would follow your example.

Nice shots of the common snappers.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:09 PM   #7

Some interesting turtles there. Tom's is certainly a monster and I don't believe we have similar turtles to Scott's first one here in FL.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8

Nice shots, Scott!! Makes me wish I could have gotten my grandpa's recipe for his turtle mulligan....mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:10 PM   #9

Tom - that's some turtle! Very interesting shot.

Scott - come out to our botanical gardens. Lots of people feed the squirrels, so they are very tame, and my comment about watching where you step actually happened. I had been taking pictures of flowers in a tree and was looking up as I started to walk off. All of a sudden I heard a squirrel telling me off for almost stepping on him - he was hanging around my feet, expecting a hand-out, I think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 6:22 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I had been taking pictures of flowers in a tree and was looking up as I started to walk off. All of a sudden I heard a squirrel telling me off for almost stepping on him - he was hanging around my feet, expecting a hand-out, I think.
Harriet -- That creates a very amusing picture in my mind. I've been scolded by squirrels before, and I can imagine this little guy chittering away, with you backing off and apologizing. . .:-)

Scott