Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 12:05 PM   #11

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Wow, Roger, you really are quite an entrepreneur! With the hotel & the wildlife hunts, you really have created a captive audience. You also have an interesting angles on creating prospective business that is for sure! I really like the idea of the slideshow on the monitors & TV's ...that's pretty good!But also making yourself available for the local community events is something that I need to consider.

What I started doing is ... my wife & a friend were doing craft fairs in the area. My wife makes scrubs & salts & lotions & potions while her friend makes jewelry & candles. So they found that they were having "open spots" in their stand where something just needed to be but they didn't have anything to sell that was appropriate. So my wife took some shots of mine to fill in those spots & it helped draw customers in. One lady would comment on the picture while her friend would start looking over the merchandise. Granted I had limited success...but once I had a lady buy about 6 or so prints of a trip to Ireland that we had taken.

Now, this is leading to my new adventure. This week I hung about 20 or so pieces at a local massage therapy spa that my wife has been doing business with. The owner has an artist or photographer come in & decorate her waiting room with their work for a month at a time. She doesn't charge a commission but really tries to help sell the works & in return she likes to pick a piece for herself ...dependent of how the month goes. Also, she is willing to host a show on a Sunday afternoon where the artist can invite whoever & have some wine & snacks & whatnots. It helps drum up business for her & helps to promote the artist. So far so good, I have already sold 1 piece & like 10 greeting cards. Fortuneately, I having my "show" this Sunday which coincides with a local art show that is going on like a 1/2 mile from the spa so hopefully this will help bring some folks in too.

It sounds like a good opportunity so far sinceI do a lot of landscapes with flowers & such. Someone comes in for a massage all stressed out, gets a massage, feels like living again, walks out to pay & there's a nice 8x12 shot of some beautiful wildflowers, tulips, or waterlillies or across the room is some 12 x18 closeup shots of some colorful blown glass. I'm hoping that the clientel will be a little more receptive than at a craft fair where they would be walking around with their mother-in-law & 3 small kids wondering if it's time to leave yet.

I have also thought about talking to my doctor & dentist about hanging some pieces up in their waiting rooms...talk about captive audiences!! Hang the shots & attach a business card with a price on it for the piece. Couldn't hurt ...might help!

Oh yes, I would like to take the opportunity to advertise the art show for those that may be in the St. Louis / Southern Illinois area that be interested. Here's a link to their website

http://www.artonthesquare.com/

I believe they are advertising it to the 5th or 6th largest art fair in the nation! Not bad for a city of 40,000 or so!

Thanks again, Roger!

Ron
My photo frame has sold me numerous photos. I right now am working on a catalog to set down next to the slide show computer. Very easy to do I built it in Excell a 2inch photo and the photo number. Yesterday a lady wanted to buy a bluebird photo she saw on the photo frame so I showed her the catalog and she ended up buying 3 different ones. You might think about this for the shows and or etc.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:19 PM   #12

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, 1 other thing...I don't know how it is in other states but here in Illinois, the Department of Natural Resources has a monthly magazine that they put out to promote their parks & events. Then once a year, they have a photography contest with different divisions. So for folks like me that like being outside & taking wildlife & landscape shots, this might be an avenue to pursue. Furthermore, you may try contacting hobby magazines to see if they use freelance photographers as well.

Just an idea! Thanks again, Roger! Good idea for a thread!

Ron
Sounds like a great opportunity IMHO go for it. Something that has helped me is every once in a while when I get a keeper at the state park I drop off a copy with a business card at the park headquarters for the rangers. Not to long after I started this I started getting calls telling me when new things were happening. Now many times the calls allow me to go to the park rather than some where else cuz I know something is going on. Saves on time.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 19, 2007, 11:24 PM   #13

I was just wondering if anyone was selling photo's on Smugmug or Printroom ?

Or if there any other sites like those where you can set the purchase price for you photos?

Thanks

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:43 PM   #14

Fred2726 wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone was selling photo's on Smugmug or Printroom ?

Or if there any other sites like those where you can set the purchase price for you photos?

Thanks

Fred
Hi Fred, Here is some information I found on photo sales sites. A fellow named Max posted the information

Some pros & cons
http://www.prophotobasics.com/showthread.php?t=107424

Some different sites. One fellow uses all of them.
shutterstock.com
istockphoto.com
dreamstime.com
fotolia.com
bigstockphoto.com
123rf.com
galastock.com
canstockphoto.com
featurepics.com

This is a quote from him. "I had biggest sales with istockphoto, although shutterstock and dreamstime are not too far behind"
Old May 20, 2007, 12:12 AM   #15

Roger, thanks for the info.

I guess what directionwould be best for me is a place to view photos taken of people in a password protected gallery, where they could view them (pictures of their families) and then order them at a slightly inflated price.

Just a way to make a little on the back end of things. Help pay for that LBA. Rather than hitting them up front for a session fee of sorts.

Seems like Printroom will do it. Also let me set prices for around $100.

Smugmug will as well for around $150. Think there site looks much better...

Just wondering if I was missing some alternative.

Thanks again,

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:21 PM   #16

Fred,

For what it's worth I use smugmug to run my sales and I'm very happy with them. The biggest plus with them, IMO, is their outstanding customer service. Seriously - the best of any company (not just photo related) I've ever worked with. They have a forum - www.dgrin.com - with different boards like this - but a board dedicated to pro sales, another to customizing your page, etc. Really is top notch. Now, in addition to the $150 price, they take 15% of your PROFITS. So, if a 4x6 is .19 and you charge $3 - for a profit of $2.81 they take 15% of that so you end up with 2.11.

Seems high, but they're providing unlimited storage, multiple sizes, custom watermarking feature plus your cash register, printing and delivery. I can't say they're better than the competition because I've never used anyone else - I've been happy enough with smugmug. The only things I wish they provided were package pricing and discount coupons. Right now if I want to give a customer a discount I have to put their photos in a special gallery and change the pricing for that gallery.

But I would have never been able to get my site running & looking the way I wanted it without their immense help and for the few glitches along the way they've been super responsive - and in my book customer service is huge.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 5:36 PM   #17

I just started using SmugMug, still on my free trial. Haven't sold anything yet, but expect some orders to start coming in after I do some newborn photos this week. What I liked about SmugMug is that they do all the work, all I have to do is upload photos. Lets me spend more time on taking pictures rather than trying to figure out how to run an online business.

For what it is worth, if you use the code: "flickr" without the quotes to register, it knocks 50% off the first year. $75 seemed worth it to me.

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:54 PM   #18

bump
interesting
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:06 PM   #19

robar wrote:
Quote:
bump
interesting
Thanks Robar, I just posted some additional information on another thing we do. Digiscope Hunting for Wildlife. This has worked pretty good for us. It gives you the opportunity to work with people that know nothing about cameras.

Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 24, 2007, 6:38 PM   #20

Just to bump this along...

How do you go about promoting your website if you do have one? And how do you prevent people from downloading and esentially stealing your pictures?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote