Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 11:05 PM   #11

LOL! A co-worker of mine took a look at the first pictures I took with the DS and said, "Now THAT'S a camera!" I know what you mean, though having a smal DOF can be a double-edged sword. Have a great time exploring your new camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:11 PM   #12

LOL....thanks mtngal....I'm looking forward to the journey. I still love my Fuji s6000fd, but I can see so much possibility, albeit with a steep learning curve, with the K10.

I just wish I had my zoom.....:-)
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:36 PM   #13

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I was amazed with the difference in DOF between even the kit lens and my Fuji.
Fuji what?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 5:52 AM   #14

Hayward, I have a Fuji S6000fd. Great camera. I just wanted the flexibility of a DSLR and the ability to cotinue expanding the types of photography I'm doing.

Old May 19, 2007, 6:02 AM   #15

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Hayward, I have a Fuji S6000fd. Great camera. I just wanted the flexibility of a DSLR and the ability to cotinue expanding the types of photography I'm doing.
Yeah, before my used orig Canon 300D Rebel before DITCHING IT FOR CANON NOT GIVING A SH** LIKE THERE IS EVEN A RUMOR STILL OF A C 40D OR 30D UPDATE... got the K10D, I had a Fuji 602 and then 7000.... great high end functionally SLR like while stil P&S cameras.

And I feel rewarded by Pentax for that descion..... two firmware updates first from beta testers they listened to and added many great new feaqtures in 1.10 besides a couple of unique situation fixes.... then a month or so later another update and then the Remote assistant..... (My favorite in 1.10 is the ability now to have EV/EC on one wheel and AV (or TV) on the other wheel in P mode (originally just on wheel AV and the other TV)... VERY powerful, FAST and dynamic combo's to have at your finger tips not on the original 10D (but was a month or two later) and likely suggested by Beta testers as an easy to do) So if your cam is not 1.11 when you get it... upgrade the firmware, very easy to do.

All things NEVER done by Canon..... ony upgrade to the 300D was the HACK that made it software wise as much as possible a 10D (mirror lock up, 3200 ISO, etc...... something Canon made sure could never be done again with the XT or XTi..... and doubt either of those have every been upgraded either.

Pentax I think was shocked with what happened with the current K's and they are to the best of their ability been given a great kick off just now just running for the endzone....

Now when a nex gen 10D or a 1D comes out that will likely change.... but that they are SO SUPPORTING what they have to run with right now is very unique and MUCH user appreciated.... and getting them new cuustomers by word of mouth in the process.... wher eagain still the huge one Canon and Nikon are likely loosing them... especially necommers.

And the increasing cost of even used M42 screw mount glass, on EBay would certainly support that.

PENTAX IS BACK. (And about tied with Canon, but much older than Nikon in the US, that didn't really get going until the 70's)

The 10D is matching BOTH C & N mid level cameras (some ways bettering) for much le$$... the only thing they are missing is a 1 level camera.... and I'd bet that comes before even a 10D hardware upgrade consindering how well they have done with just firm/software on that level., and just continuing along those lines. QAnd concentrating on getting out the bigger and better.

And actually at one time considered Fuji a SLR, but unfortunately they went with Nikon lenses... even 3rd party big $$$$

And the other telling thing is how DORMANT C & N have been since both K's introduction..... unless you want to count the ready for release CRIPPLED N D40 and while Pentaxt is still a minor market share I think they really have C & N ears pricked up and rethinking things, especially on the low and mid SLR levels.

And just hoping the 1 level camera isn't just around the corner.
Old May 19, 2007, 2:11 PM   #16

Trojansoc,

Great news about your excitement on getting the K10D. I was the way with the ist DS my first dSLR. I have been following the results and findings of posters here in this forum and I see no better place to learn about this model than here.

Hayward,

I seriously doubt that the other makes are losing out much to Pentax. I believe Pentax is just another option (a good one) for those looking to bridge over to the dSLR market and it is much more affordable than the other makes. The features of the Pentax offerings K100D and K10D are unmatched for the price and backward compatibility of 40 years of lenses makes it also a viable bridge over to the dSLR market.

There are many out there that have quite the collection of lenses from their film days and are now seeing that it is not a wasted investment venturing into the digital world. Albeit the older lenses are increasing in value due to these last two great offerings in dSLR's. The SR feature in the body makes the need for the tripod almost obsolete (I said almost). Also, great for those who have slightly shaky hands due to health reasons, it allows them to get back and enjoy photography again.

The other makes will continue with their marketing plan and not paying much mind to Pentax or Sony for that matter.

Pentax just makes a great camera for the price for those who are looking to expand their hobby or profession as seen by Benjikan (the lenses he uses though are pricey and lucky for him he is sponsored by Pentax).

I am still on the fence over the K10D myself since I already have the ist DS and K100D.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 7:40 PM   #17

Whenever you get a new toy, you just HAVE to play with it. Someone obviously didn't tell this lady that I didn't get my zoom lens in when she showed up for her photo session this morning. She was about 75 yards away, and all I had was the 18-55 kit lens shooting up the power line cut behind our house, just before the sun was fully up.
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2007, 7:42 PM   #18

The good news is that I got an e-mail late Friday informing me that the backordered lens had been shipped and will be here nest week. And, if you couldn't tell what that animal was, here's a crop

Of course she won't make it that easy once I get my zoom, lol
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2007, 11:33 PM   #19

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I seriously doubt that the other makes are losing out much to Pentax.
I'd agree but they both have been amazing DORMANT since the Digital K introductions..... Nikon actually dropping the D200 price at K10D introduction.....

I think Pentax definately has their attention.... we have to deal with tiis.... just how?
Old May 20, 2007, 9:39 AM   #20

I want to state that the Pentax K10D is a great camera, no argument there at all.

The D200 has been out longer than the K10D. The price drop is inevitable of any camera. The K10D has dropped already and can be had for $849 (check that: Adorama sells it now for $804.95). The drop in priceof the K10D was much quicker than the D200.

In fact, even the Canon offerings 5D and 30Dhave had price drops but I seriously doubt it is due to Pentax. Believe what you want. The horse race is with C and N. Sony, Panasonic, Olympus are good offerings also but are not going to change due to Pentax. Sony (formerly Konica-Minolta)already had image stabilization in the 7D and 5D before Pentax.The Sony Alpha wasvoted dSLR of the year and now *poof*.

Check this:

Global Digital SLR Camera Shipments by Vendor 2006 and 2005
Shipments Share(%) Shipments Share(%)
1. Canon 2,460,339 (46.7) 1,882,162 (49.5)
2. Nikon 1,740,169 (33.0) 1,280,172 (33.7)
3. Sony 326,240 (6.2) 0 0.0
4. Olympus 311,116 (5.9) 217,135 (5.7)
5. Pentax 285,932 (5.4) 175,112 (4.6)
(Source: IDC)

I doubt that much ground can be gained by Pentax to have the top two do anything much different from these figures.

The K10D is a great camera but most people won't realize it since it is hardly in the mainstream of the market. Sony though flagging behind and Olympus are more visible than Pentax in the overall scheme of things. When one goes out and about shopping in electronic/office supply/department stores this camera is not easy to find.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote