Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2007, 11:06 PM   #21

Just personal obsevation.... a Canon 40Dor at least updated 30Dshould have been out long ago.... and actually what got me much to move from Canon to Pentax, getting real frustrated by that.

And you could be right.... the N D200 price drop just normal events of thing but again happened pretty much very soon after K10D introduction, and immediate high demand... for those that studdy a bit.

SONY is just name, likely many are a bit sorry they bought into the A1000.... less lens choice than even Pentax (new) and review wise a lesser camera..... JUST it auto matic brand its SONY it must be good BS.... let alone they just bought someone out, and did little more.

Though SONY R&D might actually get into it and they will become better.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:08 PM   #22

So Trojansoc you have had it a few days now.... what are your first impressions of the K10D?
Old May 21, 2007, 12:08 AM   #23

1) Steep learning curve--the camera is so powerful and can do so much that it's going to take a while to learn to maximize all of its features....definitely not a "take it out of the box and shoot" model. I may be peppering you guys with questions as I go deeper into the camera's capabilities.

2) I love the feel of the camera. I purchased it with the battery grip. While it's a comfortable hold without the grip, the additional size allows my fairly large hands wo wrap around it. Great for stability.

3) Quick and responsive on a series of tighly spaced shots while tracking a butterfly. I can't help but think that the image stabilization was a major factor in no blurred shots in the whole sequence.

4) It's going to take a while to get used the menu and control systems. There are functions that are placed in counter-intuitive positions and groupings, but nothing that would promise to be a major pain.

The one problem I ran into this weekend was when I tried to attach a K-mount 2.0 teleconverter to give me a little more reach since I only had the 18-55 kit lens. Thanks to the forums I was able to find the right places in the manual (not well organized) to get into the Custom menu settings to change to the [Permitted] setting. I knew this put me into manual focus mode, and I found it to be very friendly and easy to use.

All in all, a great weekend of shooting. I clicked off the shutter a few hundred times and learned something, good or bad, with nearly all. I just can't wait till I get the rest of my lenses and can start expanding what I can do with it.

I love the camera. Everything I ran into this weekend is under the category of operator error and to be expected.

Attached is one of the butterfly sequence.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 1:47 AM   #24

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
The one problem I ran into this weekend was when I tried to attach a K-mount 2.0 teleconverter to give me a little more reach since I only had the 18-55 kit lens. Thanks to the forums I was able to find the right places in the manual (not well organized) to get into the Custom menu settings to change to the [Permitted] setting. I knew this put me into manual focus mode, and I found it to be very friendly and easy to use.
I find that interesting in that while I have some "A"lenses still AE but MF are fully functional.... the one time I put a manual optic on it (a old TC) no matter what mode you attempted to put it in it would only allow AV or full manual.

(Even if you were in Auto, P, or TV/SV modes, in other word it knows the only way it could work with that optic.)

And with the A lenses (whick don't report FL) if you were in SR when powered up would default to the manual FL setting.... if same lens ... then last FL setting would appear you only have to OK. Also why all my A and M lenses are /likely will be primes... as the FL is not reported, A and M zooms and proper SR compensation if you want to use it are problematic.... but primes just a 1 time setting at mount. With out SR no issue.

Still many months later the K 10D still sort of surprises me now and then with something I hadn't though of it actually can do.

Surprised you also mention the menu complication... as virtually everything but very specific ones can be quickly and directly set via the function wheels, and 4 way controler.... once you get it set for the way you most want to use it I think you will find yourself visiting menus very infrequently.

As to the learning curve just play, play, play.... when no important shot and just see what happens.

Old May 22, 2007, 4:23 AM   #25

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
.The Sony Alpha wasvoted dSLR of the year and now *poof*.

Check this:

Global Digital SLR Camera Shipments by Vendor 2006 and 2005
Shipments Share(%) Shipments Share(%)
1. Canon 2,460,339 (46.7) 1,882,162 (49.5)
2. Nikon 1,740,169 (33.0) 1,280,172 (33.7)
3. Sony 326,240 (6.2) 0 0.0
4. Olympus 311,116 (5.9) 217,135 (5.7)
5. Pentax 285,932 (5.4) 175,112 (4.6)
(Source: IDC)
SONY? By whom?... no reviewer I ever respected.....Popular Phonographyr?

Now forget the shear numbers..... and look at percent gains/losses. (scaled to 100%) A 1% gain at the bottem is SIGNIFICANT... 25% and the two cameras most respomsible for that (THE k'S) WERE only out for 1/2 to 1/6 of that year vs FLAT and 3% drop at the top (and 10x sales so LOTS of units). Those being C & N (even Olympus was flat) and don't think those marketing people don't think so too, and haven't taken notice)

It would be interesting to know what the K/M sales last year were before SONY buy out but I'd bet pretty flat there too if not loss.

And I am happy to say I am part of thet 3% loss for Canon.... who I ditched because they still haven't gotten out a 40Dor even update for the aged 30Dand I was tired of waiting, not about to buy another mediocre Rebel...not to mention even more toylike shrunken... when something as gorgeous, weatherproof and versatile as the K10D was out there.