Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 7:42 AM   #1

Okay, I have a chance to trade my K100D body for an *istDS and SMC-F 50mm f/1.7. Need advice, right now I can't afford to add any glass to my slim collection, so I thought this might be the way to do it, by trading for a less valuable body. Honestly, I don't see much difference from my shots with the K100 and the shots from my old *istD. 6MP is more than enough for what I do, so I don't plan on upgrading to the K10 anytime soon. I really like the TTL metering that the DS does for manual lenses, but what do you guys/gals think? Should I do it?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 8:08 AM   #2

nick,
i think this is up to you. i know that once i do upgrade i'll be keeping the DS for exactly the reason you quoted. i wish i had available a non-TTL body to experiment with. one question tho. will you miss the SR of the k100 ??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:30 AM   #3

I honestly didn't see a marked difference in the IQ from my istD to the K100. I haven't really seen the difference in having SR or not. I am sacrificing SR anda 2.5" LCDforTTL, a PentaPrism VF, and an SMC-F 50mm f1.7.

What would you do?
Old May 18, 2007, 9:46 AM   #4

My only concern would be SR. I have a DS and would love to have SR. The rest is an upgrade in my opinion. TTL, pentaprism... I don't know if there is an improvement in jpg coversion in the K100, I only shoot RAW.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:54 AM   #5

I, too, shoot mostly RAW, unless of course I plan on taking an excessive number of pictures for fun (like at the zoo) then I opt for the storage space and shoot JPG.

But, Kjell, that's how I was looking at it too... I see it as more of an upgrade than downgrade as well. I thought I really needed the SR, but now that I have it, it doesn't really seem to do all thatmuch.

I think thefast lenswill make up for SR anyday, but would like some more opinions before dropping the ball.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:00 AM   #6

Do not forget the differences in speed and autofocus between the two.

But Pentaprism and free F50mm lens is a good deal.

Everyone who owns a DS really likes it

In my case, SR is a must-have, but a pentaprism would be so, so nice.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:02 AM   #7

Good call, never used the DS, but I have used the D and DL and noticed a significant difference in AFingspeedbetween the D and DL (using the same lens), but not so much between the D and K100D... how does the DS compare? Anyone own both that can test it?
Old May 18, 2007, 10:05 AM   #8

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I, too, shoot mostly RAW, unless of course I plan on taking an excessive number of pictures for fun (like at the zoo)
if there's anywhere i take pix for fun, it's definately NOT the zoo. shame on you... LOL

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:18 AM   #9

When Ihad both the DS and K100, I didn't notice any difference between them under most conditions. I finally figured out what the reviewers were talking about when they claimed better jpg conversion - they were comparing the K100's "bright" mode to the DS "vivid" mode - and it's noticeably better. However, the first thing I did with the K100 was to put it on "natural" and shot a bunch of comparison shots - no difference at all (though I did discover that I prefer the color and look of the kit lens overmy DA 50-200).

I didn't find an advantage either way with the viewfinder - once I got used to manual focusing without a split screen, I found I could focus equally well with either camera. I did like the larger/brighter figures in the K100 viewfinder, but thought it was a minor thing.

SR is such an individual thing. I find it helps me a lot with longer lenses - when I had both the DS and the K100, I used to keep the kit lens on the DS and (mostly) the A*300 on the K100. I know that I wouldn't have been able to get much with the DS and a 300mm lens - I had trouble at 200! So for what I like to do, SR is important. If I were using 18 through 135 or 150 range of lenses, it would mean significantly less.

The only thing I rather regret is that I sold the DS when I bought the K10. I wish now thatI had sold the K100 and kept the DS - the DS is quite a bit lighter weight (and somewhat smaller) and that's an advantage when you are carrying two cameras. Now I tend to keep the long lens on the K10 and use it to capture something where I think I'll crop (can't get close enough),and a wider angle lens on the K100 because I'm more likely to use them full-frame. I'm thinking of getting something wider than the kit lens for the K100, but want to get something to replace my DA 50-200 first.

Are you crazy for wanting to make that deal? Not at all - if you won't miss the SR, then the F 50mm 1.7 would be a very nice lens to have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10

The DS is a great camera and will do anything you could do with the K100 other than SR, and that can be worked around. The DS was the best camera I have had so far in the Pentax DSLR camp and it is TTL flash compatable.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote