Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 5:25 PM   #11

If you are happy with the camera I would say invest in a lens or two. You could always split the difference and buy a lens and a K100d. I saw that Beach camera had the K100d with the kit lens for $440 after rebate, shipped free, the other day. That is so cheap I have considered just buying a second 100 so my wife can use hers. :-)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 6:11 PM   #12

Hi bslayton,

I think that Kjell and Tim have already given the choices and reasons that I'd be considering, given your situation. I think that you'd end up with great value either way.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 4:18 AM   #13

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
If you are happy with the camera I would say invest in a lens or two. You could always split the difference and buy a lens and a K100d.
To me that is a TOTAL waste.... and ditching Canon (orig Rebel 300D) I wasn't just going to go to another medocre 6MP, and (and anyone even yet seen hint of a C 40D and 30D ever AGING) waited the couple of months for the DELIVERED ON TIME K10D.... if I was going to make the move it was (not just MP) but most for the some unique and very diverse capabilities, the weatherproofing, etc.

If the thought is DL to K100D NO JUST DON'T DO IT, all you are really gaining in that case is the SR and maybe a few tech improvements... no real diverse functrionality.

Moving up to the many more capabilities of the 10D that is realistic, or no just keep the DL... and let it become throw away... like all the film bodies are now.... most sell because of the lenses on them...... (not meaninfully salable body alone) or just kept as a spare/danger body.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:34 PM   #14

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
If you are happy with the camera I would say invest in a lens or two. You could always split the difference and buy a lens and a K100d. I saw that Beach camera had the K100d with the kit lens for $440 after rebate, shipped free, the other day. That is so cheap I have considered just buying a second 100 so my wife can use hers. :-)

Tim
Not from Beach! Ionce ordereda K100D kit from Beach when they were hard to find (not a problem now) - I even called them to verify stock, and they asured me they had plenty. After a week with no shipping notice I called only to be told it was on backorder with no firm delivery date. I cancelled the order and got it from someone else in days, but Beach had charged my credit card and promised a refund which dodn't come,so I had to have the card company cancel the payment to Beach (after which they refunded the paynment to the card company). :flame:

The only New York mail order firms I trust to have what they say they have are B&H and 17th St Photo - their sites list backordered items and if you still wantto orderone they either don't accept it or if they do they don't charge your card until shipped.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 1:08 PM   #15

penolta wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Tim
Not from Beach! Ionce ordereda K100D kit from Beach when they were hard to find (not a problem now) - I even called them to verify stock, and they asured me they had plenty. After a week with no shipping notice I called only to be told it was on backorder with no firm delivery date. I cancelled the order and got it from someone else in days, but Beach had charged my credit card and promised a refund which dodn't come,so I had to have the card company cancel the payment to Beach (after which they refunded the paynment to the card company). :flame:

The only New York mail order firms I trust to have what they say they have are B&H and 17th St Photo - their sites list backordered items and if you still wantto orderone they either don't accept it or if they do they don't charge your card until shipped.
Hi Penola
I will be the First to admit I only Use B&H and Amazon fror ordering.
However, not to long ago I had the same Experiance that you had with Beach. I Ordered a lense from B&H and was told it was on B/O and that I would be notified when It arrived. I receieved notification that It was In Stock, So i Ordered it Immediatly. My Order was Confirmed and I waited. All Of a Sudden My Order Shows as Backordered, so I called the Store and a Very rude Supervisor Spoke To Me. Basically he Told me too Bad and i would have to wait Till a New Shipment came in. At least they had not Charged my card. So I did like you and got it else where.

The moral Of my story Is any Store can have a bad day. Including B&H
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 6:08 PM   #16

Black Knight:

Dealing with mail-order firms can be so aggravating that whenone has a bad experience on the first contact with one, there probably is somejustification to expect that it will happen again, and itmay bewise to avoid returning. Over the past 6 years I have placed 24 orders with B&H and have not yet had that problem, but with their large sales volume, I suppose it has to happeneventually - but at least they didn't lie to you in person. There is of course no excuse for rudeness, but it unfortunately has beenall too common with these firms,even though they probablyhave gottensome rude callers themselves. Beter luck in the future.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:46 PM   #17

penolta wrote:=
Quote:
Not from Beach! Ionce ordereda K100D kit from Beach when they were hard to find (not a problem now) - I even called them to verify stock, and they asured me they had plenty. After a week with no shipping notice I called only to be told it was on backorder
Welll ya know the old your mileage may vary..... actually ordered my replacement K10D for the on stolen from there.

And due to an error on their web site of saying it was w/kitit lens not just body... that was shipped (and woukld have been a REAL good price for that)

They admitted the error (after my giving them the page links still existing, but since corected), and just said you may return or we will credit you $50..... still making the whole thing normal price.....I toojk the latter..... a good move on their part to satrisfy a situation IMHO.... and I had bought from them before very satisfactorally.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:04 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice all. I think I have a case of the "I wants" and need to step back and take a longer look.

bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 4:55 PM   #19

I also have a DL and commonly think about upgrading. I think the only real choice is to the k10d. I don't think that the k100d would be that much of an improvement. So I wait until the k10d price comes down to where the k100d is at now. Pentax recently added the k10d with a $50 rebate.

I say wait till you can get the k10d. For now invest in some good glass.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:44 PM   #20

Got my K10D from B&H. Not the cheapest price around but I have not had a bad experience shopping with them for the last four years now... The K10D will put you out in front of the Tech wave for a year or two and will still be a great camera for 5 or 6 years from now...By then it will have slipped to the beginner level. If you wait something else will come along but in the mean time you could be having a blast using the K10D.

PS get good lenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote