Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 9:57 AM   #1

I have an *ist DL currenlty. I have the kit lens and 2 old primes, a 1.4 50mm and a 2 50 mm , both manual.

Should I try to find a good lens next 400-600 us.. or get a K10D?

I am thinking I might be able to sell the Ist for 250-300 or so.

Deep down , I don't think I have outgrown the *ist dl. I am fascinated by the idea of image stabilization on the K10D and the water resistance/dust resistance.

THoughts?

bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2

I sold my DL body-only for 300 recently. Don't regret it for a second. Yes, DL was slightly lighter but k100d is so many lightyears ahead there's no comparison. I can actually shoot jpeg now and get good results. With the Dl, I was happy with the JPEGs only 20% of the time.

I find the AF on k100d is much faster than the DL, but very similar in good illumination.

SR is NIIICE. Gives you a fighting chance at single digit shitter speeds (Have had good pics at 1/6 of a second!) whereas the DL would mave a usable picture exactly 0% of the time in those conditions.

If you want the k10d, grab it. In my case, for the price of the K10d, I was able to get a K100d, a FA50mm/1.4 and a DA40mm Limited.

If you can bear to do so, unload both MF primes. AF on the 50 is sooooooo nice to have. In my case, some nutjob bought my m42 50/1.4 for...... $160 USD. Yes it was in pristine condition but that is ridiculous money.

That being said, if you shoot RAW, the *ist DL is still an amazing performer. NO IQ difference between the two whatsoever,

I will probably upgrade to k10d level camera in about a year, but for now I am very happy.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice Gandazar.

It would be so nice to go and try some of this equipment. My local dealer has mostly Nikon only. I can dream about a K10 and one of those 4500 pentax zooms Yeah right!

How do you like the 40mm limited you got? Do you find yourself using it mostly or the 50mm?

Old May 18, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4

Where in Arkansas are you? If you feel like making the drive out to OKC, we can meet up take some pictures and I'll let you try out some equipment.

I'd go for alens, but it all depends on what you take photos of.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks Ishino, I am in Little Rock. I might have to take you up on that

What lenses do you have?
Old May 18, 2007, 12:31 PM   #6

Just sent you a message with the list. Only bad thing about Little Rock is it would cost you around $100 in gas for a round trip.

It's sad that gas prices are so high now that theyhave limited my photograhy trips. For the summer it looks like I'll be staying pretty close to home base.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:33 PM   #7

That's actually a tough question. The DL is a nice camera (I used to have the DS and loved it), and getting a good lens goes a long way toward the quality of your photos - in many ways longer than the camera body. On the other hand, the K10 offers lots of features not on the DL - the biggest being SR. The weather resistence is nice if you wander around in the snow (I do) and live next to a desert. On the other hand, I get as much dust on the sensor as I did with the other Pentax cameras - once I figured out how to change lenses quickly I don't get all that much. Unless you've noticed a significant amount of camera shake with your shots, or you plan on getting a long telephoto, I might be more tempted by getting a top quality lens - but that could be because I have a K10, and am waiting rather impatiently for the DA*50-135 2.8 lens that's coming out...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 4:12 PM   #8

I was in a very Similar place A Few months ago. I have a DS and love it. I have a good varity of Glass So that was not an Issue.
I Found that I really Needed SR With My 300MM. So while i still loved My DS. I needed to get the SR. So Do I get the K100D Or K10D. While my Head said K10, my wallet said k100D. I new that i was missing out on the newer better features on the K10, but since i was happy With My DS and all I Needed was SR, I bought the K100D.
What i am saying Here is. Do you need the SR/ weather sealing and 10MP . I f you Feel you Need them then get the K10. But If you Dont really have a need i would Invest in some new Glass. Like mtgal I am waiting for the DA 50-135 2.8

Hope this helps

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:03 PM   #9

I see it this way:

A DSLR body is like a computer. Once you take it out of the box someting newer, better, with more features is already on it's way to your dealer. You'll have to buy a new one every two or three years for as long as you live, to keep up with the somewhat recent.

The investment is in the lenses. I have a nice range made between 1985 and 2005, all work perfectly on my DS. Yes, I'm very tempted to save up for a K10D, but have decided to wait a year to see if there won't be a K10D2 or K1D on the shelves by then. As long as Pentax don't abandon the K-mount no money spent on lenses will be wasted money. If you go for quality lenses, that is.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:19 PM   #10

However if the intent is to sell, the DL.... another generation from now it will be worth less (as well as just more age and wear)

Right now they seem to be selling pretty well used. But as used K100D's start to come on the market, as they will when next genration 10's or 1's come out, that likely will change a lot.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote