Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:15 PM   #11

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I found the solution to the slowness with SDHC cards....

In Windows, format the card as Fat16 instead of Fat32. 4gig is ok for this file system, now the camera is lightning fast!

Format in-camera reverts to fat32 so try not to do that
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:50 PM   #12

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I found the solution to the slowness with SDHC cards....

In Windows, format the card as Fat16 instead of Fat32. 4gig is ok for this file system, now the camera is lightning fast!

Format in-camera reverts to fat32 so try not to do that
Thanks for the update but I never had any problem on the start up speed with my SanDisk brand SDHC 4GB SD card. I don't know what class it falls under but it is rated to write/read at 9MB/10MB sec.

I also have the K100D with the updated firmware and I always reformat with the camera.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:12 AM   #13

it's entirely possible that the issue is doe to the card itself. It was the cheapest class6 i could find.

It's not just startup time, there's a 1-2 second lag between button presses or mode switches too (thankfully not with the shutter!). It's like when your PC freezes and you keep typing. Nothing happens for a second, and then all the text appears. To change ISO i can press the keys (fn, > up, down, whetever and ok) and a couplke of seconds later the camera will do what i typed.

Anyway, so far this little fix is working great!
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:41 AM   #14

I have found that you pretty much get what you pay for with memory cards, so I only use brand name card and then their high speed versions.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:24 PM   #15

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I have found that you pretty much get what you pay for with memory cards, so I only use brand name card and then their high speed versions.
But the internal operating speed of the camera doesn't need high speed cards, so how does that make a difference except when using an external high speed card reader to transfer the files.

Personally, i think that in buying high speed cards you're just throwing money away.

My first SD Card was a 'bog standard' slow speed taking 3 secs to store a RAW image.

Upgrading to a x66 card made absolutely no difference - still 3 secs.

I do agree that it's probably best to stick with a reputable manufacture; my current card is a 4G Kingston SDHC Class 4 with a
2G Kingston Pro & 1G x66 Integral SD Card as backup.

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 5:57 AM   #16

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
Just popped in an SDHC Class 6, 4GB card in my k100d and it is AWFUL!!

Startup time went from 3/4 second to 4 seconds!

This will mean a lot of missed opportunities.

DO NOT BUY SDHC cards. Instead, get fast, regular SD cards from reputable manufacturers!
Shouldn't you edit your post/title now since it's posts like this that spread incorrect information.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote