Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Just popped in an SDHC Class 6, 4GB card in my k100d and it is AWFUL!!

Startup time went from 3/4 second to 4 seconds!

This will mean a lot of missed opportunities.

DO NOT BUY SDHC cards. Instead, get fast, regular SD cards from reputable manufacturers!
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2

All of the 4 meg cards are SDHC aren't they? I have one, a Transcend 150x 4 gig and it has not given me any troubles like that. Start up time seems to be exactly the same, although the top LCD only shows up to 999 shots when the card holds around 1600. The only difference I have noticed is that it seems to physically be slightly thicker and the card hangs up for a fraction of a second when inserting or removing it. Have you upgraded your firmware? It was either 1.1 or 1.2 firmware that brought support for the SDHC cards.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3

I have a collection of SD cards 1G, 2G and 4G. A few at 133x and the rest at 150x. All work the same with no startup delays. You might reformat the card in the camera and see if that makes a difference. I also use the cards in my Canon SD500 with out formatting them, everything interoperates just fine.

I have also been sticking to name brand cards - Transend, Patroit and Corsair.

Hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4

I have yet tgo go over 2GB, but with K10D start up is so fast is has NEVER been an issue, of turn it on aim and it wasn't ready to go.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 7:16 AM   #5

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
I have yet tgo go over 2GB, but with K10D start up is so fast is has NEVER been an issue, of turn it on aim and it wasn't ready to go.
...and what does this have to do with SDHC cardsor the K100D???
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 7:20 AM   #6

I must say I was dubious of the higher capaity cards. I used the DL2 and ordered the 2Gb cards. No joy with them. Sent them back and swapped them, thinking it may have been a bad batch, but the second set didn't work either, so I stuck to 1Gb cards.

When I got the K10D, I tried the SGHC cards in teh 4Gb flavour, as they were only £17 and I have been delighted. They work well, no lag and they work in the DL2 with no problems.

You may have got a bad cards, as start-up time shouldn't be any different from using standard 1Gb cards.

Try formatting it, and if it still doesn't work, exchange it for another one.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 8:22 AM   #7

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
...and what does this have to do with SDHC cardsor the K100D???
Uhhh maybe becaiuse 4GB is where that hardware/firmaware division level comes into play?..... Even raw not sure I'd want to pu tjhat much on one card honestly... they are not that time consuming to swap.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:25 AM   #8

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
but the second set didn't work either, so I stuck to 1Gb cards.
I have to admit I have seen little dif between 1 and 2 GB cards.... and 2 GB is just fine about as much as I care to entrust to one little piece of silicon....

Again what 10 sec to swap.... and if smart see you have a few shots left and do at a CONVIENIENT time before absolutely necessary so what loss?.

And 1 and 2GB cards are pretty dirt cheap.... 4GB+ are still pretty pricey
Old May 19, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9

I'm not sure what happened. I reformatted the card and it's now a lot faster, maybe 1.5-2 seconds instead of 4-5

SD and SDHC have several key differences. Most notably, sdhc uses the FAT32 file system while SD uses FAT16. If i'm not mistaken, SD tops out at 4GB. SDHC can go much, much higher. SDHC class 6 means 6MBps transfer rate, which is equivalent to 150x on SD.

I will do some further testing.

I have some NIMH batteries loaded and I think they aren't being charged properly. I wonder if the camera will operate more quickly on a fresh set. I will try to take as many pics as possible and leave them on the card to see if speed degrades as the number of files increases.

No discernible difference in RAW write speed or anything as compared to my old 1GB 133x SD card.

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 3:49 PM   #10

When shooting jpg on the K10D, I got around 750 shots on 1 4Gb SDHC card. And to be honest it never faltered.

Now I generally shoot RAW+Jpg, which means the camera starts out by saying 186 shots, but this varies depending on what I am shooting.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote