Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1

just bought a printer from fry's one day sale for $15usd it's a canonip1700. it will go on the shelf tho, as i'm using an ip1600, $20usd that i've been using for 6-7 months. these are not what i use for a photo printer. thing is that the new cartridges sell for $55usd.... talk about sucking you in?? it's a shame that most people know nothing about refilling..

with my ip6000d , i get 8 1/2 refills for $35 and if i did not refill, it would cost over $650usd for canon replacements
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2

Canon isn't the only one that does that, refils for my Epson Photo printer cost $70 for all six, while a new printer on sale is $40. I can get the ink from China (not Epson) for about $20 and it works just fine, although it will fade very quickly if used to print photos.

Inkjet printers are expensive to use!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3

I've ended up replacing printers a couple of times, instead of buying new ink. Most recently I've been having trouble with the paper-feed on an HP printer, so have started thinking of buying another new one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:42 AM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've ended up replacing printers a couple of times, instead of buying new ink. Most recently I've been having trouble with the paper-feed on an HP printer, so have started thinking of buying another new one.
That is why inkjets are sold so CHEAP.... they KNOW they will make it up on the supplies.

But you cost it out though might seem much more expensive laser.... you are talking 1000' of pagesb rather than dozens (especially photo)

And I have done that too though DELL hasn't in a while (since they have updated the color laser printer line) but got refurbed printers with new image drum (and unlike inkjet factional supplies) Full toner carts for less than the toner replacement.... and they shipping prepaid recycle the old printer. too
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 3:39 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
with my ip6000d , i get 8 1/2 refills for $35 and if i did not refill, it would cost over $650usd for canon replacements
Hi Roy,

I use the same printer (IP6000D) and refill carts with MSI bulk ink. Looks like we think alike here -- before getting my previous printer (an i860 whose head transport finally fried after a couple of thousand photos printed, and it used the same inks except for the PMagenta and Pcyan), I had bought into the buying cartridges thing, and printed as little as possible because of the cost. Now I print all the images that I choose to PP and watermark at 2 5x7s per page and put them into binders. I use a very cheap IBM 28 lb inkjet matte photo paper that I bought tons of when the local grocery store chain discontinued and clearanced them out at $3.00 per pkg of 200 sheets. This allows me to print at a couple of cents per page total, and I can give away these "proof" sheets without even thinking about it from a cost standpoint.

Anything bigger than 8.5x11, or any that I want to hang or give as presents get printed by one of the local camera shops -- helps to keep them in business so I can have a easy source for little gadgets and whatnots that I sometimes find a need for, and can buy there used. . . makes up for all the major business that they lose from me since I usually buy lenses and the other expensive stuff (except camera bodies) online.

I'll be sorry when the IP6000D dies, as it eventually will -- the new Pixmas have chipped ink carts, and tho they can be refilled, after the first use, they won't tell me when they've run out of ink. . . -- hopefully that won't be for some time. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 3:51 AM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
I'll be sorry when the IP6000D dies, as it eventually will -- the new Pixmas have chipped ink carts, and tho they can be refilled, after the first use, they won't tell me when they've run out of ink. . . -- hopefully that won't be for some time. . .

Scott
That's nice inconvenience, because many chipped carts will never acknowledge they are reifilled again, once they have said they are empty.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 8:44 PM   #7

There was an article in one of the computer magazines I get that Kodak is looking to break (back?) into the printer market. They are abandoning the "Gillette" strategy, charging more for the printer, but selling larger cartridges of ink for $10. It sounds like a solid idea in my book but it may be too late. The way color laser prices have gone I think that is the direction the whole market is headed.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote