Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2007, 1:43 AM   #11

There is the diference.... rechargeable hold 1/2 volts virtually their entire linf until the last few moments.

Standard batteies do indeed start at 1.5 volts, but decrease continuosly from the moment they are used..... to zero if allowed too.

Again rechargeables go from a long life of full 1.2v to zero in the space of a minute or two.

And why they work.... standard batteries are 1.5 v for a very short period of time only before they too are down to 1.2 v or less.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 7:45 AM   #12

Hi Nhmom

Rather than Buy a mulitester. Do you know anyone thats an electrician, they would have a tester.
Do you have any friends that use rechargeable batterys that have a Charger! if you do try their charger.
If it were me I would just get a new Charger Such as the one Scott Suggests. Thomas Distributing has MAHA products at a good price. They also sell the Sanyo Enerloops at a good price.
I personnally own the Maha CH 801D and the C401. Like Scott said, I have complete confidence that when I take my batterys out they are fully charged.

I know it seems like a waste to buy another charger, but Its the only sure way to know. And a good charger will help you get the most out of your Batterys

Just my thoughts

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:24 AM   #13

FWIW I just got some Sony 2700mAh batteries and the Sony CycleEnergy charger and they seem to last almost forever in my DS.

My DS book warns against using the RCR-V3 batteries, so I avoid them since I have no idea if they are working properly unless something goes wrong with the camera. That is too high a price to pay to use batteries that will give me a small increase in performance.

I remember Ricehigh (Gone from the list) used them and all he ever did was complain about his Pentax cameras and how they worked, which may or may not have been caused by the RCR-V3 batteries.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:57 AM   #14

Thanks for all the info. I do have an old Moster charger for my 1850 mAh batteries. Is it okay to try that? These are 2100 mAh batteries.

I'll also test my other batteries today that are supposedly charged and see if they show a red light.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 3:22 PM   #15

nhmom

Just For test purposes i would go ahead and use your old Charger. Worst that will happen Its that it under charges the batterys. At least you Will have a better idea if its the charger or the batterys.

Phil
Old May 21, 2007, 8:20 PM   #16

Did a test tonight with the old charger. After being in the charger for 40 minutes, they were showing as charged. I put the same batteries into the new charger and after another 40 minutes in that one, it still showed them charging. Was afraid to leave them in much longer than that as they were getting pretty hot.

I may look into getting one of the Maha chargers. Just couldn't decide before which one. Maybe I'll see what the results are here from Gazander on the C9000. Although, if I remember correctly, that's the super-duper one.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:30 AM   #17

I bought it because they say it's the end-all charger for NIMH.

Basically you never have to worry about partial charges or incomplete/incorrect charging again.

We shall see in a week's time.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 2:00 PM   #18

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Did a test tonight with the old charger. After being in the charger for 40 minutes, they were showing as charged. I put the same batteries into the new charger and after another 40 minutes in that one, it still showed them charging. Was afraid to leave them in much longer than that as they were getting pretty hot.

I may look into getting one of the Maha chargers. Just couldn't decide before which one. Maybe I'll see what the results are here from Gazander on the C9000. Although, if I remember correctly, that's the super-duper one.
nhmom

Any of the above mentioned Maha chargers are good. the C401 and the Ch801d are great chargers. Each slot is controlled seperatly. As I said i have both. I loved the 401 but, the 801D can charge 8 at a time. And that made sence to me as i have 5 sets of batterys to cycle thru.
I can highly reccommend Either unit.

Phil
Old May 22, 2007, 3:31 PM   #19

just get some hybrids. 1200 shots from my last set. flash use 40-50 times.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:57 PM   #20

nhmom

How did you make out and what did you decide to purchase??