Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2007, 9:25 PM   #21

Sorry, Black Knight. Haven't had much free time lately. Too much going on.

I was hoping to find some time this weekend to check out the chargers at Thomas. I also wanted to buy some battery cases rather then my little ziploc bags I keep putting them in. And, some filters. A graduated ND that I got money for at Christmas and have yet to buy.

I'll let you know what I decide on the charger.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 4:09 PM   #22

Okay, finally went through the battery charger maze again and just purchased the MHC401FSDC World charger. It was between that one and the 240, but everyone here had the 401. So, I went with it. Also ordered some battery cases and a simple battery tester.

We'll see how this works. The ones I charged in the old charger seem to be working fine. Probably took 300 photos since then on them.

Old May 28, 2007, 9:27 PM   #23

Still waiting on my order. It shipped on the 21st. hope to have it by friday...

Battery Depleted action again after maybe 200 pics, flashless with no LCD review. This is getting irritating.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:17 AM   #24

DO NOT USE MOBYPOWER RCRV3's ON K100D!!!!!

The camera seems to work ok for a few shots and the does all koinds of weird crap!

-The mirror can get stuck halfway up its swing
-The lens is stopped down REGARDLESS of selected aperture, and this seems random (like the little arm is misfiring)
-After a while, ANY BUTTON ON THE CAMERA releases the sutter!!!

I took the batteries out and wil try some old NIMHs when I get home. I hope I didn't fry my k100d.

It's reports like these that I've seen and trusted the Mobypower units. Unfortunately they are NOT to be trusted!!

AF is not actually faster! The motor spins ridiculously fast, but the camera can't keep up with it. It'll overshoot the focus, stop for a split seconds, and then focus will slightly reverse leading to SLOWER focusing than before!

--
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/5...5a0a3085_o.gif
Old May 30, 2007, 8:35 PM   #25

Slapped in some NIMH's and the camera works great.

I'm kind of disappointed that the rcrv3s sucked so bad. Supposedly they worked VERY well in the *ist series.

I will do more tests
Old May 30, 2007, 8:51 PM   #26

Gazander,

If by rcrv3's you mean rechargeable crv3's, the manual says not to use them as the camera will malfunction. According to my Magic Lantern manual it states, "Due to their voltage characteristics, oxyride and rechargeable CR-V3 batteries are not recommended, because they can cause the camera to malfunction."

They recommend two CR-V3, four lithium AA batteries or four AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries.

Patty
Old May 31, 2007, 9:23 AM   #27

The problem is that the majority of RCRv3s output a constant 3.6V, which is way too high

The more expensive RCRv3s are internally regulated and output a steady 3V, and are confirmed to work great on the *ist series.

Here is something strange. I let the RCRv3s sit around a bit outside the camera. Feeling dangerous, I slapped them back in..... now they work fine?!

Shot maybe 200 pics in rapid succession and not a single problem.

Here's the kicker!

At 50mm, with SR on, I was taking repeatable, steady, sharp pics at 1/4 of a second!!!!!! With NIMHs SR only really helped up to 1/15 or 1/30th!

More testing is definitely needed. It seems that only one thing is certain. NIMH really stinks as a battery technology, and the k10d's li-ion is a good idea!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:31 PM   #28

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
DO NOT USE MOBYPOWER RCRV3's ON K100D!!!!!

The camera seems to work ok for a few shots and the does all koinds of weird crap!

-The mirror can get stuck halfway up its swing
-The lens is stopped down REGARDLESS of selected aperture, and this seems random (like the little arm is misfiring)
-After a while, ANY BUTTON ON THE CAMERA releases the sutter!!!

I took the batteries out and wil try some old NIMHs when I get home. I hope I didn't fry my k100d.

It's reports like these that I've seen and trusted the Mobypower units. Unfortunately they are NOT to be trusted!!

AF is not actually faster! The motor spins ridiculously fast, but the camera can't keep up with it. It'll overshoot the focus, stop for a split seconds, and then focus will slightly reverse leading to SLOWER focusing than before!

--
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/5...5a0a3085_o.gif
My Energizer Lit batt had that too. Did you check the output voltage of your rcrv3? Was it around 3.2 V. I have a brand called Juice and they have been in my DL for the last 4 months. No problem.
I had once the same thing happening to my K100D and I freaked out of course.
Pentax Taiwanese site has this thing documented really well. Basically you should not use it immediately out of the charger.
Keep us posted

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:20 AM   #29

Got my battery charger (401), tester and cases Friday. Charged two sets of batteries so far. I love it. Although, I'm not sure which set was in my camera last night and whether it was the shots I was taking that wore the batteries down. (Well, the indicator on top is showing half gone.)

I was taking some shots in the car at night at 4" to 8" of the car lights for a class. They were fresh batteries (rayovac hybrids) either the ones I had just charged in the new charger or from the old one. But, I do know both sets I had registered as being mostly charged on the cheapo tester I bought. (Probably 80% into the green area even fresh out of the new charger.)

Took maybe 70 shots, 40 of them long timed shots. I know the battery indicator on top is not 100% accurate. But, on my camera I've had since August, it usually doesn't start showing low until the batteries are starting to go.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:24 PM   #30

Daniel,

EXACTLY RIGHT!

I was freaked and though the cam was ruined, but works a1 now, WITH the lithiums. At last charge, I left them sitting around for about an hor before popping them in...... and absolutely no problem. On my 600th shot so far and no signs of weakening. AF and SR are better than ever.

I will continue to test.

AS for the Maha charger, it has brought 3 Chinese batteries (dollar a piece!) back from the dead! The dead being never accepting a charge since new.

Now they all work fine, though they're nowhere near that acrual rated capacity... 6-700mah vs the advertised 1K

Will keep you guys posted.

The C9000 is good. Probably the only way to get better would be to charge more batteries at once.

The Lacross BC-900 is probably just as good, in fact, given the features I've seen. About half price but I didn't want to take the chance of being stuck with an inferior charger again.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I had once the same thing happening to my K100D and I freaked out of course.
Pentax Taiwanese site has this thing documented really well. Basically you should not use it immediately out of the charger.
Keep us posted

Daniel