Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

After months of irritating, intermittent "Batteries Depleted" messages, I have just pulled the trigger on some battery-related toys... Also sick and tired of the variable AF speeds over the course of the battery life.... ie very fast for the first 10-15 shots, and steady degradation as batteries are drained. And for the record, I've only gotten 4-500 shots on NIMHs twice in a year. Other times, i'm lucky to break 200. And this is with no flash at all.

Got a Maha C9000 charger because they say it brings cells back from the dead, and ALWAYS gives a full charge. Bye bye, stupid, crappy Sanyo charger.

Got 2x regulated RCR-V3 battery and charger combo, by Mobypower. These are said to be safe for out Pentax DSLRs. Bought 2 of em because I want to be able to charge both packs at the same time. If this works out, I'll probably grab additional RCR-v3 cells. They're slightly lighter and are said to really perform. The AF motor likes them, supposedly.

We shall see. I will report back when I receive them....

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 1:16 PM   #2

I for one am very interested in your reportback!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Got 2x regulated RCR-V3 battery and charger combo, by Mobypower. These are said to be safe for out Pentax DSLRs.
The K100D manual specifically warns against theuse of rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Not mentioned in the *istD manual, but they weren't available when that was printed. Unless certified by Pentax, I don't think I would want to take the chance.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:28 PM   #4

That's for unregulated rcr-v3. Basically the ouput 3.7v, which is too high.

The regulated models output 3.4v

We'll see what happens.
Old May 19, 2007, 3:12 PM   #5

I am also interested in your findings with this.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6

I purchased a couple of Emerging Power rechargable CRV3 batteries that were on clearance at Radio Shack. I also purchased an Impact CRV3 recharger from B&H. These are regulated 3.0V batteries. So far my K100D is working fine with the RCRV3s. However, this is only the second go around with the batteries.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7

I've recently replaced my two-year-old Energizer 2500 NiMHs with RayOVac Hybrids in my DS and flash units. I didn't like the idea of having to purchase two chargers or having to charge the batteries one at a time, I had recently gotten a Maha C401 to replace my old slow charger, and I like using the same batteries in the camera and flashes -- and the flashes won't take CRV3s.

The Hybrids are like the Sanyo Enerloops in that they don't lose much of their charge while just sitting in the unit unused -- much better than NiMH, where you have to try to remember when you last charged them to guage how much they've lost while sitting -- especially for use in the flash units. The Hybrids are cheaper than the Enerloops by about 33%, @ $8.xx a set of 4 as opposed to the $12.xx for a set of Enerloops. I haven't counted exposures with them, but they've yet to disappoint, and I've gotten more than 400 shots per charge, which is more than I usually need for a day's shooting.

If I use them at all, I just pop them into the charger at the end of the day to top them off -- typically takes about 10 minutes to get them fully recharged, with the charger set on "slow". They do get pretty hot while charging tho. I carry a set of nonrechargeable Lithiums as a backup for both. They're light and potent, and I haven't had to use them yet.

I've been using the Hybrids for about two weeks now, and I'm happy with their performance so far . . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 12:22 AM   #8

I'm also using the RayOVac hybrids. They'd been fine until this last time I went tocharge them. I think I have three sets of 4 for my K100 and flash unit. I do get hundreds of photos out of a set of them. I just got approx. 600 photos out of this last charge.

This time when I went to charge them, I put the same four in the charger unit in the wall outlet in the hotel. When we got up the next morning the light was still red on the charger. I unplugged it and let the whole unit cool down for a few hours. Plugged it back in for an hour or so. Still red light.

When I got home from my trip, I plugged it in my wall outlet at home for about two hours. Still showing a red light. Haven't put the batteries in the camera to see if they are charged or not. And, am afraid to leave it all plugged in until the light turns green as in the past.

I don't have any others that are drained to try to charge to see what happens to them. And, don't have a battery tester to see "how" charged these are that the light won't turn green on.

Any ideas?

Sorry. I should have started a new thread for this. But, it's already written now.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 1:49 AM   #9

Well if the full voltage is 1.2 and most devices consider them discharged by 1.0V, bust out a miltitester and hook em up.

Old May 20, 2007, 2:41 AM   #10

Hi nhmom,

It's hard to say -- as Gazander said, you can test the batteries to see if they are up to voltage. Many inexpensive volt/ohm meters have testing positions for different battery cells, and may be a handy thing to have. If you don't have one, you can go to Radio Shack and they'll test them for you (just don't listen if they tell you that the batteries aren't any good and you have to buy a basket full of their batteries as a replacement :-)).

It could be that your charger is fried or defective. One of the reasons that I went ahead and popped for the Maha C401, even though it's a bit pricey, is that it's recognized by many as one of the best chargers of its type available. Instead of either one circuit for all four batteries, or two as is very common, it has a separate circuit for each of the four batteries. and a separate light which turns green when each cell reaches full charge. It might just be a marketing gimmick, but I have reasonable confidence that each of my batteries is fully charged when I take it out of my charger. It's important for me to have that confidence, and since it's not let me down so far. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote