Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2007, 3:52 PM   #1

The crow is on the ground now.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 4:00 PM   #2

i hate these birds. i've got the first heron's nest in quite a few years. these nasty thing always raided and ate the eggs and young in the past. if i see any they will definately be turtle food. nice shot tho.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:24 PM   #3

Hi Tom,

I think these are great. I've never seen a young one -- probably because if I did, I thought it was something else. . .

Not too many crows around here lately -- I've only seen a few this year, and virtually none last year -- I hear that a virus got many of them, along with Bluejays, House Finches, Grackles, and perhaps a few other species in particular. Most of these, especially the Grackles, are making a major comeback this year around here.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:53 PM   #4

i hate crows and grackles!!!! gawd, this is coming from a guy in animal rescue.. i just have my limits.. hope they both make good turtle food!

roy
EDIT: i'd probably take the pic and then step on it.
i'll also bet i'm going to get a lot of flack for that statement. lol
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:14 PM   #5

Looks like is is plenty hearthy to me. #2 is my favorite.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:59 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
i hate crows and grackles!!!! gawd, this is coming from a guy in animal rescue.. i just have my limits.. hope they both make good turtle food!

roy
EDIT: i'd probably take the pic and then step on it.
i'll also bet i'm going to get a lot of flack for that statement. lol
. . . You're a complicated man Roy! . . . but I think I know what you feel. . . there are just some things that a person can't stand!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:11 AM   #7

Tom - your crow pictures are really good! 1/90 secand 300mm??? Was that handheld (looks like it must have been). Wow - wish I could do that!

My crow picture from today isn't half as good, but if you don't mind, I'll post it anyway. Is this one of the reasons why many people don't like crows? This fellow was quite bold - he was in the middle of the street and didn't move for any of the people walking by on the sidewalk. I stopped and pulled out my K10, which still had the Phoenix 100mm macro lens on it, and snapped this. He didn't like me paying attention to him (birds always know when I'm looking at them trying to snap their pictures) and he flew away right after I snapped this.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 1:34 AM   #8

Yes they were hand held-thaks to SR.

You did a great job of getting the detail in the feathers of your crow, which is most of the problem with black birds.

Actually I don't like crows either, but the young ones trying to learn how to fly with the parents yelling at them was too cute to pass up. I think their tail feathers are too short since when they do try to fly they are out of control and crash into things.

Now that I think about it I am not sure they are cute either, but they make good subjects for photos.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:21 PM   #9

Hey Tom and Harriet,

Both of those are great shots with lots of details. The blue eyes are neat on the baby crow, I wonder if they will stay this color, I had thought of crow eyes as yellow but it may just be one more thing I am only noticing since getting into photography.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:48 PM   #10

I'm impressed with your technique and steadiness, Tom. Thanks also for the complements on my crow - it's the first time I've managed to have something more than a black blob in the picture. I think I got lucky because the marine layer hadn't burned off completely, so the light was very diffused (no direct light).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote