Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 22, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 454
Default

Sorry I haven't posted much lately. It's been a busy Spring, but I have been able to get out and get some pictures. I took this shot as I was going through a dense spot in the trail near Cowiche Creek. Take a good look and those that like to hike incool attirebeware. This was just at the ideal place for you to rub against as you walked by with bare arms and legs. Take a good look at it. It mightkeep you from havinga bad experience.

A few years back I got into some and spent the most miserable 6 weeks of my life. It won't hurt you badly, but it's a six week itch. Remember -leaves of three, let it be- Bruce





bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 3:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rhermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Antwerp - Belgium
Posts: 3,454
Default

Never saw one before, looks like a fun plant :? - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

when i was a kid in new orleans i got this all the time. i've had it up my nose and in my mouth. it's horrible. if you get it the best thing to do to get rid of it fast is to be sure you change your bed linens every morning. you can reinfect yourself and spread it by sleeping on the soiled linens. i've outgrown most of my allergy to it but still avoid it like the plague..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 9:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I can't get over the urge to spray it and kill it!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NonEntity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Placid Florida USA
Posts: 2,689
Default

I have not seen any since I was a kid, I don't think it grows here in central FL.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 9:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
JimInGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 307
Default

Covered up in that stuff this year around here. My experience was as a kid, it never bothered me. Now, I'll scratch with the best of em if I get in it.



Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have not seen any since I was a kid, I don't think it grows here in central FL.

Tim
tim,
this is all over the place in Florida!!!!!!!!!
poison ivy/oak/sumac love your semi-tropical environment.
it grows out of the cracks in the cement in new orleans..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

SoCal has poison oak instead of poison ivy. It's similar (leaves of three) and will change color to a very pretty red in fall. I'm one of the lucky ones - I don't seem to be allergic to it, though I don't touch it if I see it.

I'm pretty lucky - poison oak only grows to something like 4,000 feet elevation, and most of my hiking (and living, for that matter) is higher than that - between 5,000 and 8800 feet.

An off-topic little fact - dog fleas don't live above about the same elevation. My Golden was allergic to fleas and I always had trouble with him until we moved to the mountains - most effective flea treatment I found.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 6:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
NonEntity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Placid Florida USA
Posts: 2,689
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
SoCal has poison oak instead of poison ivy. It's similar (leaves of three) and will change color to a very pretty red in fall. I'm one of the lucky ones - I don't seem to be allergic to it, though I don't touch it if I see it.

I'm pretty lucky - poison oak only grows to something like 4,000 feet elevation, and most of my hiking (and living, for that matter) is higher than that - between 5,000 and 8800 feet.

An off-topic little fact - dog fleas don't live above about the same elevation. My Golden was allergic to fleas and I always had trouble with him until we moved to the mountains - most effective flea treatment I found.
Really? I have a Newfoundland that is allergic to fleas. Now that sounds like one more reason to move out of Florida!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 6:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
NonEntity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Placid Florida USA
Posts: 2,689
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have not seen any since I was a kid, I don't think it grows here in central FL.

Tim
tim,
this is all over the place in Florida!!!!!!!!!
poison ivy/oak/sumac love your semi-tropical environment.
it grows out of the cracks in the cement in new orleans..

roy
Well, I just hit google and you are right, Poison Ivy, Sumac, and Oak are all found in Florida. I did find thatPoison Ivyis not well adapted to the Lake Wales Ridge scrubland that is the dominant landtype in my area though. It is interesting, I used to have bad run ins with that stuff every summer as a kid in New England but I have not seen it since moving to FL.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:04 AM.