Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 23, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1

Hi All,

Hot and overcast today, so I just took the K10 with the Tam 80-200 and the 1.7x AFA.

Went to the bird beach, and a number of birds came to drink, but there wasn't much bathing going on. . .

The best were a Cedar Waxwing. . .

And a male Goldfinch. . .

I went to run some errands, and while passing by the retention pond for a local hospital, I spotted this guy out of the corner of my eye, all the way across the pond. . .

Only got a couple of shots relatively close -- He kept spotting me moving and taking off. . .

Then some geese did a close flyby -- too bad the sky was so bland -- but then I would have underexposed the geese too much. . .

. . . And I finally got some baby ducks to line up nicely behind their mom. . .

Would have been better if they weren't 3/4 of the way across the pond when they finally got it together:-) . . . but you know how ducks can be. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2

A great series I enjoyed everyone of them. I have to pick the last one of the family as my favorite.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3

Nice shots Scott. Overcast days sure pull out the detail in white birds that is hard to get with bright sunlight.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:34 PM   #4

Love them all, especially the egret. The ducks are cute, but I think the first two are my favorites.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:03 PM   #5

all great but i like the family shot.

i ck the exif on one and saw that the cam's set at -2ev.
i find my DS over exposes a lot with my manual lenses. the same??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 8:38 PM   #6

A very nice set of shots. You have certainly found the right place for birding Scott. I would have to pick the second egret in flight shot as my favorite.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7

Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look --

Tom -- first time I've been able to shoot an egret without -Ev comp. I started out that way, assuming it would be like usual -- totally blowing out half of the bird, but the first exposure showed me that wasn't going to be the case.

Harriet -- I'm really shocked at the variety of species that I'm getting out of this 3 foot stretch of stream. It seems that it's popular with the best birds in the area.

Roy
-- I've found that the -2Ev is sometimes necessary in Av mode with even my FA*300 at the Bird Beach with direct sun, so I'm not thinking it's a MF lens thing. The only time there's really good light is around mid-day, and I have to shoot through a very small opening, which means that I can't choose the angle and the sun is reflecting off the birds and rocks directly into the camera's lens. The wet rocks and the birds' feathers are incredibly reflective at that angle, and I get large sections of totally blown highlights if I don't underexpose significantly -- especially with Goldfinches. I've even resorted to manual mode and -2.5 Ev on occasion, and still had significant hot spots from the rocks, though the feathers come out okay, and that's what I'm mainly concerned with.

Tim -- Bird Beach has been a tremendous find, and the hospital pond is a good location, a little too wide open for getting close to wary egrets and GBHs. I like the second Egret in flight also -- caught the wings just right and it was flying at a good angle -- I'm not very good at BIF shots, but these came out pretty good.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote