Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2007, 9:46 AM   #1

Fuzzy emergency (Baby Owl)

A friend of mine that has a RV park down by the river called me and told me a Baby Owl was down on the ground and he didn't think it could fly. I went down and sure enough it was Fuzzy. Some how or another he had fallen from his tree by the nest and took off for the nearest cover which is the the RV Park by the cabins pretty close to the river. He was on a railing at the back of one of the cabins when I got there and Mom was yelling at him. He tried to fly up to the nearest tree limb but couldn't get much more than about 3 to 4 feet up from where he started. He then got back on the steps then up to the railing. I stayed back not wanting to interfere with him and his mom. After a couple of tries it was obvious he wasn't going to make it and he seemed pretty tired. By now Mom was only doing an occasional hoot and had stopped screaming.

Not a good place for him and he can't get up to a tree limb so I decided to call fish and game. They sent a officer up and asked if we would watch the little guy until the officer could get there. So now I am on Fuzzy baby sitting duty until the officer can get up to us from about 75 miles away. When the officer arrived it was getting close to dark and Fuzzy had had time to rest so he wanted to see if Fuzzy would try and get up on a tree. NOPE he couldn't make it but he did try. Now the chase was on. Fuzzy is pretty fast and was using bushes to try and hide in. finally Fuzzy is in a cage and on the way to the wildlife rescue place about 75 miles south of us. I checked today and he is healthy and doing fine and they expect to turn him loose as soon as he is ready.

While waiting I took some photos.

Here is Fuzzy on the railing

Closer

And Closer

The real close up

A very unhappy mother

Another view of mom

Here is a link to another thread about Fuzzy before the fall out of the tree problem

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 10:10 AM   #2

what a great opportunity to take advantage of.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3

Hi Roger,

You're a good man. Very nice work, from both photographic and humanitarian standpoints. I know that you were wanting some less obstructed shots of the owl baby, but I doubt that this babysitting duty was what you had in mind. . .

I think that your handling of this situation offers us a good lesson (in addition to some great pics of an unusual subject!) -- that there are organisations set up to handle wildlife emergencies, and it's best to leave things to those with expertise in these matters. Personally, I have the number of the local wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center in memory on my cellphone in case a situation arises where it might be needed -- haven't had to use it, but it's there. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4

Yes, this is an issue that is hard to deal with. In most cases if you touch the baby animal or bird the parents will then have nothing to do with them and they are on their own. If you don't do something, then they many times become food for some other animal or they starve to death.

Most times Fish & Game (DNR) here, will only step in if the baby is a species they are interested in such as Owls, Eagles and Hawks for birds. I have found that if you catch the baby bird in a fishing landing net and then transfer them from the net to a branch without touching them the parents will come back and take care of them.

Anyway, it is a great chance to take photos of birds up close on the positive side and even photos of the parents that will come much closer when protecting their young.

Good job Roger.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 1:26 PM   #5

i'd hate to have one of these POed at me. not sure who would win.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:49 PM   #6

What a cutie - glad you got in touch with the fish and game folks and he'll be properly cared for.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:38 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
what a great opportunity to take advantage of.

roy
Hi to YA!!! Roy. I try to remember to always take the camera when I leave th office. Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 24, 2007, 9:02 PM   #8

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

You're a good man. Very nice work, from both photographic and humanitarian standpoints. I know that you were wanting some less obstructed shots of the owl baby, but I doubt that this babysitting duty was what you had in mind. . .

I think that your handling of this situation offers us a good lesson (in addition to some great pics of an unusual subject!) -- that there are organisations set up to handle wildlife emergencies, and it's best to leave things to those with expertise in these matters. Personally, I have the number of the local wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center in memory on my cellphone in case a situation arises where it might be needed -- haven't had to use it, but it's there. . .

Scott

Scott I did get a few shots with no limbs in the way but it would of been better IMHO for Fuzzy to be with his Mom and me to miss the shots. Everything in the end will be OK Fuzzzy will be wild and free before to long.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 24, 2007, 9:04 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Yes, this is an issue that is hard to deal with. In most cases if you touch the baby animal or bird the parents will then have nothing to do with them and they are on their own. If you don't do something, then they many times become food for some other animal or they starve to death.

Most times Fish & Game (DNR) here, will only step in if the baby is a species they are interested in such as Owls, Eagles and Hawks for birds. I have found that if you catch the baby bird in a fishing landing net and then transfer them from the net to a branch without touching them the parents will come back and take care of them.

Anyway, it is a great chance to take photos of birds up close on the positive side and even photos of the parents that will come much closer when protecting their young.

Good job Roger.

Tom
You are right I wouldn't of even thought of touching Fuzzy. We are pretty lucky around here cuz we all know each other and if fish and game call us or if we call them its time to help. Tome thanks for commenting and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 24, 2007, 9:06 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'd hate to have one of these POed at me. not sure who would win.

roy
Hi Roy, no question about who would win a POed great horn or roger. The Great Horn Wins by a knock out in round one. Thanks for commenting and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger