Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2007, 9:53 PM   #1

I took today off to once again try to get our TV fixed (still not fixed, I'm frustrated but that's another story). This morning I took a walk around the block with the K100 and the K-mount Takumar 135mm lens. As I was shooting some flowers over the fence, the owner happened by and let me walk around his lovely garden. I have no idea what all the plants were, but they were wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera bag with me (it was just a casual walk) and the 135 is no macro. These three came out pretty well, I think.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 9:53 PM   #2

Second one.
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2007, 9:54 PM   #3

Last one. I don't think this is as good as the first two, but the flower was fascinating.
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4

Beautiful flowers with lovely colors! Not bad at all for a non-macro lens.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 10:18 PM   #5

They are all great Shots. My favorite is the First one. I am far from an expert, but the second almost reminds Me of a Lily

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:37 AM   #6

I'm not an expert, but not that far from.:-)The first one is a poppy, the others are iris flowers (maybe also called Sword Lily in English). All are very beautiful, and your photos give them justice in that respect.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 9:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the identification - I had thought the third one might have been some type of iris, but wasn't sure. The first one isn't the type of flower that Californians think of then we think "poppy" but I've seen some poppies posted here that looked somewhat similar. My first thought was that it might be some type of tulip - tells you how much I know about flowers. The state flower is a California Poppy, and is a small wildflower that is bright orange. Not many of them this year, but we are seeing a relative - it's much the same but is orange and yellow (I've posted them before).
Old May 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #8

I think it's one of these American/British English things again. When you say it, I know what flower you are referring to and it is one of the flowers in the Papaver family (Escholzia californica). Apparently the name can also be used for the entire family.

I found this name for the one you posted here in my internet dictionary, the Swedish name is Vallmo, Latin Papaver, and it's the class of flowers used to produce opium and heroin (not this variety though).

Wikipedia adds to confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy

No matter what the name is, it's one of my favourite flowers and I grow it with pride in my garden.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 4:20 PM   #9

Mtngal, you have some great pictures here. Wonderful job of making due with what you had, that 135 lens. These pictures look better than some of the others macro shots.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 4:34 PM   #10

Came out pretty well you said. I think they are brilliant. Cant see how you could improve them. Great lens for detail. Excellent. Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote