Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2007, 9:37 AM   #1

Hello all. My first post at the form. I've been lurking for a little while, but wanted to make 100% sure that I would be sticking to the Pentax system before registering. Well, getting the three DA limited primes (21mm, 40mm, 70mm) off ebay at a great bundled price basically sealed the deal for me.

So here I am, a VERY happy K10D user.

I'm posting to find out if anyone's lens information dissapeared with the 1.20 Firmware update? Ever since I updated, that info has dissapeared. It's not the end of the world, but often when I come back from a shoot, and have over 400 RAW files to sort out, I often like to look at them by searching the different lens I used that day, simply to see which ones were "more" sucessful than others.

Any info would be VERY much appreciated.

On a sidenote, prior to the 1.20 firmware, that would be the 1.11, my Sigma f/2.8-4.5 17-70mm was alway being written to the exif as the Sigma f/3.5-5.6 18-50mm. Very odd seeing the 18-50mm (which I don't own) showing up in the exif with an exposure recorded at 70mm :lol:

Thanks for reading. Hope there's a way to work this out.
Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

welcome to the forum. i have no idea what the problem is. are you sure it isn't the program you are viewing it with isn't at fault?? irfan, free, will open my pef files and it has an excellent exif viewer. what programs are you using??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3

What program are you using to import the files? I know that Apple's Aperture strips out lens info from the EXIF when you edit a photo.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 2:43 PM   #4

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
What program are you using to import the files? I know that Apple's Aperture strips out lens info from the EXIF when you edit a photo.

- Jason
why on earth would it do that??
is there a setting you can turn off to keep it from doing it??

roy
Old May 25, 2007, 3:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the responces guys.

I'm importing using either Camera Raw 3.7 or Lightroom. Saving as .DNG or .PEF have the same results.

Basically every photo I have using Firmware 1.11 has lens info. 1.20 Firmware never once showed lens information.

Hmmmmm...the hunt continues.:?

EDIT; I should also mention that I have tried just dragging and dropping my raw files from the K10D to my computer, and still no Lens info. So I'm very sure that this is happening in-camera.

I've thought about simply cleaning the lens contacts and the camera contacts, but I'm scared to do so:shock:
Old May 25, 2007, 3:23 PM   #6

when the card is in the cam and you are viewing the images as if they were on a separate drive do they comtain the info. i'm saying when you view them in camera before you do anythibg to them. viewing with widows explorer.
do you have a card reader?? if so, is the info in there??

roy
use an eraser gently on the contacts.
Old May 25, 2007, 3:57 PM   #7

I get the data in 1.11, but it isn't alway right, my Tokina ATX 28-70 f/2.8 comes up in the EXIF as a Pentax F 28-80 f/3.5-5.6. Even though it is there it is of little value when it comes to knowing what lens was used.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 12:12 AM   #8

I think there's something with Lightroom and the 1.20 firmware. I finally got around to upgrading last night (thought I might try out tethered shooting, just to see how it works more than anything else) and spent lunch playing around with both cameras and manual focus/exposure (another issue entirely). Lightroom now doesn'tshow the lenses on the K10, but they are reported in Photo Browser - though the Phoenix shows up as a Pentax lens (been like that since I got this version of Photo Browser). Annoying, though I would have used Pentax's software anyway because I wanted to see which picture I took using which metering mode.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I think there's something with Lightroom and the 1.20 firmware. I finally got around to upgrading last night (thought I might try out tethered shooting, just to see how it works more than anything else) and spent lunch playing around with both cameras and manual focus/exposure (another issue entirely). Lightroom now doesn'tshow the lenses on the K10, but they are reported in Photo Browser - though the Phoenix shows up as a Pentax lens (been like that since I got this version of Photo Browser). Annoying, though I would have used Pentax's software anyway because I wanted to see which picture I took using which metering mode.
That could definately be the problem. I checked with Photo Browser, and sure enough, all my Pentax lens information is there, but my Sigma lens don't show up.

Wondering if anyone has a link to the 1.11 firmware with the header changed to 1.20?
Old May 26, 2007, 12:48 PM   #10

If I remember correctly there are 2 issues here. 1) Pentax uses a Lookup table to identify it's lenses based on a number in the extended(?) EXIF . I suspect none of the other programs pay any attention to this field. The lens data, I believe is recorded somewhere else as well. This is what other programs use as an identifier.
W/ Pentax software, some 3rd party lenses have a value in the correct field but unfortunately can only be linked to a Pentax product.
What ver 1.2 software changed in the EXIF file is unknown, but apparently a field was moved. Some programs have a hard time w/ things like this Only a guess BTW.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote