Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2007, 9:40 PM   #1

2 coats at one time (Elk)

THESE ARE NOT Wild Free Ranging animals

K10D / BIGMA

I thought some of you have probably never seen a elk wearing both his Winter & his Summer coat at the same time. As you will see at this time of the year they are very shaggy and they do spend a lot of time rubbing against bushes and trees trying to get rid of their winter coat. I imagine it probably is itchy.

Also this IMHO is the prettiest time for Antlers I call it new velvet time. This is before they start to crack and shed and then he will be rubbing them on any thing available.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2

i'd think the velvet would be more irritating
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 8:11 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Roger, great pics (as always)! I especially like no. 3 (classic pose). You might try using some PP to get rid of the green tag on the elk's ear--then send the picture to National Geographic!!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 8:53 AM   #4

Very interesting series, Roger. I did not realize the dramatic difference in the two coats. Are these animals part of a captive breeding program trying to rebuild the species in your area? The elk has been reintroduced to Arkansas in the last ten years and is flourishing in the mountains of the Ozarks, particularly in the area of the Buffalo River.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 9:16 AM   #5

Beautiful shots Roger.

You're right, those antlers look amazing. I'd say a cross between velvet and silk.
Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:34 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'd think the velvet would be more irritating
From watching them out in the woods I have to agree the velvet is probably more irritating. The bulls rub on everthing in fact even take dow little trees trying to get rid of it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 26, 2007, 6:23 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Roger, great pics (as always)! I especially like no. 3 (classic pose). You might try using some PP to get rid of the green tag on the elk's ear--then send the picture to National Geographic!!

Jay
Hi Jay, thanks for the kind comment and for looking. I also like #3 the best of this bunch.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 27, 2007, 12:13 AM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting series, Roger. I did not realize the dramatic difference in the two coats. Are these animals part of a captive breeding program trying to rebuild the species in your area? The elk has been reintroduced to Arkansas in the last ten years and is flourishing in the mountains of the Ozarks, particularly in the area of the Buffalo River.
Hi Trojansoc thanks for the nice comment and for looking. These photos are at a Elk Farm they raise and breed them for a living. They sell the Antlers, Antlers ground up as a medicine (In the west, elk antler has been tagged for many years as an aphrodisiac that the Orientals use. A simple understanding of Oriental medicine may help to better explain why this is only one of the numerous health benefits associated with the use of elk antler.) Man of the elk farms sell the meat.

Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger