Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2007, 3:32 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My daughter competed in the Annual Burlington, KY Horse Show earlier this morning. I took about 75 pics and endedup with 10 keepers.

Jay

Not sure if I like this one better. . .

. . . or this one....I'd like some opinions from y'all.

I like this one as well, but am not pleased about the background. I was using a wider aperture and expected a shallower DoF.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 4:52 PM   #2

Personally I prefer the landscape orientation by a hair, but they are both great shots. Heck, print and frame 'em both; she is only this age once!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:02 PM   #3

Nice series fo photos of a GRET subject. IMHO #2 is my favorite. You done did gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 9:29 PM   #4

Number 2 gives the best view of your daughter IMO, but I really like the determined look on her face and control of the horse in number 3. All are some good shots of a memorable day.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:53 PM   #5

Think I like the second one better than the first one. The lighting was difficult and the background in #2 doesn't look as blown out (and therefore distracting) in the second one (even though there's more of it). It's also a view I like, though the horse in the first one is outstanding with his ears forward, and obviously interested in what you were doing.

Part of the problem with the DOF in the third one is that f6.7 isn't big enough to get a really small DOF, and you were much further away from your subject than she was from the background. I don't mind the background at all - but then, I've been to my fair share of horse shows and that's what they usually look like. She looks like she's having a great time, and that's what is really important.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:44 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Think I like the second one better than the first one. The lighting was difficult and the background in #2 doesn't look as blown out (and therefore distracting) in the second one (even though there's more of it). It's also a view I like, though the horse in the first one is outstanding with his ears forward, and obviously interested in what you were doing.

Part of the problem with the DOF in the third one is that f6.7 isn't big enough to get a really small DOF, and you were much further away from your subject than she was from the background. I don't mind the background at all - but then, I've been to my fair share of horse shows and that's what they usually look like. She looks like she's having a great time, and that's what is really important.
Harriet (and Tim, Roger & Jim as well):

Thanks for the inciteful comments. I was partial to no. 2 as well. Your comments have classified the first pic as one being one of the horse with my daughter on him, and the second being one of my daughter on the horse. I never noticed the ears on no. 1...all of a sudden I am beginning to like it. Now I can't make up my mind:?

I think I will take Tim's suggestion and print and frame them both!!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:56 AM   #7

Jay, I agree with the rest ....#2 is my fav as well! From that angle, it really gives the shot a good depth but then again, the whole series is very good. I just wanted to throw out the option of making a 2nd layer in photoshop & then cloning in the wall that she's riding next to (in other words, makethe wall taller than she is in order to take out the people in the background)

Congratulations, you have a fine young lady there. Anyone, that can interact with such a fine animalas that one, has a good heart!

Thanks for sharing!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:17 AM   #8

#s 1 and 2 are my favorites. IMHO #2 is a framer!

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:43 AM   #9

#2 for sure
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:46 AM   #10

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Your comments have classified the first pic as one being one of the horse with my daughter on him, and the second being one of my daughter on the horse.
Jay - I hadn't actually thought of it in that way, but you are absolutely right - the first one emphasizes the horse, while the second one emphasizes your daughter. Being someone who's owned horses and spent hours reading horse magazines I see both subjects equally (and without thinking about it). Print both of them.

Is the horse your daughters, or just one where she rides/take lessons?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote