Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2007, 5:10 PM   #1

a lester dine just went for 308usd on ebay. there's been a make offer for some time and people have been getting the viv105 for around 200usd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110129831061

dah,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 9:23 PM   #2

There was a Kiron 105 listed over in the Pentax Forums Marketplace. $175 Buy It Now. It went so quickly that in the two seconds I thought about getting it, it already sold. So much for being lazy paying off now! Only reason I paused for those two seconds, already have the Tamron 90mm Macro but what's LBA without wanting more lenses!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 9:36 PM   #3

Most people on ebay think they are gambling not bidding. I see things all the time that go for more than you could get one at the local wal-mart. I think they get caught up in it and just have to be the winner like it was a game or something.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:48 PM   #4

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
Most people on ebay think they are gambling not bidding. I see things all the time that go for more than you could get one at the local wal-mart. I think they get caught up in it and just have to be the winner like it was a game or something.
you're right!!
i usually have 30-40 bids in a week. it's because i've seen things never bid on thru out the listing. i missed a pentax 500mm f4.5 once by minutes. it would have cost me around 50usd shippingplus a 1ยข bid..
c'est la vie

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:12 PM   #5

I've started to wonder just how many people bidding on Pentax lenses are photographers who plan on using them, and how many are people that have noticed how much the price of these lenses have increased (essentially speculating). Maybe I should run an ad for a lens the SMC M zoom lens I have (think it's something like 24-50mm, it used to be my fathers lens and it's very soft) that is a lousy lens and see if someone would actually pay for it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:18 AM   #6

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
Yup .... going in I draw a line (and done some research or at least watching other auctions.

Yeah it does astound me on NEW stuff people often pay as much or MORE than MSRP.... go figure.

Then again of 8 lenses for my K10D on (simgma 70-300) is new the rest ALL used.... one from B&H the rest from Ebay...... best catch there a Pentax A 50mm f/2 for like under $20

I do my research though not just blind biddingor as you out it (senseless) gambling.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:22 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've started to wonder just how many people bidding on Pentax lenses are photographers who plan on using them, and how many are people that have noticed how much the price of these lenses have increased (essentially speculating). Maybe I should run an ad for a lens the SMC M zoom lens I have (think it's something like 24-50mm, it used to be my fathers lens and it's very soft) that is a lousy lens and see if someone would actually pay for it.
You could likely sell a melted Popsicle for more than one right out of the groecer's freezer (just say the image of Jesus is in the pudde :shock:

Many on Ebay have more $$$ than sense. (And actualy sadly not the axtuall $$$ they are actually spending.... just goes on the card.)
Old May 27, 2007, 12:29 AM   #8

mtngal, I really suspect that the frenzy of lens buying, and subsequent price inflation, is caused by people like me.

How many buyers of the K10D and K100D are first time DSLR buyers? These are people who choose a DSLR because of the additional flexibility it offers over top end P&S cameras. One of the selling points on which they chose the Pentax camera was the back-compatibility with 30+ years of Pentax lenses. They know that the kit lens is inadequate, but they don't know enough about lens technology to to make informed decisions, so they use the theory that more is better

With the popularity of the Pentax cameras, the market is flooded with relatively uninformed buyers who have only limited knowledge of market value. They want new toys to fill out their kit. I have been guilty of that, I know.

I have been fortunate enough to read these forums faithfully enough to learn that I should have a pretty good idea of why I want a particular lens before I bid. However, I suspect there are many who are interested in putting together an impressive collection in terms of numbers of lenses rather than quality.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:43 AM   #9

Or they can just not be bid on (not necessarily because they are horrid) and the then hey what am I gonn loose.... $20.... could just be a sexy looking paper weight

Or maybe a terrific bargain..... like my first A 50mm f/2 was.

Can likely also always resell it.... maybe for more by then.

Hard tp loose on a used Pentax lens.... with the MUSHROOMING K sales..... they will only be in more demand..... they aren't making any more old lenses :?
Old May 27, 2007, 7:51 AM   #10

I agree with Roy that prices on many lenses have reached silly levels and the price for the particular auction cited is higher than recent auctions for similar lenses. On the other hand, between the quality of the construction and the incredible sharpness of the lens I would argue that the lens is WORTH what it sold for and probably more. I know I would not sell mine for that price, unless I already had a replacement lined up for less.

You know the other big thing that is driving these prices is places like this forum and websites like the Cult Classics page or Stan's Pentax page. It is easy to do the research to find out if a lens is "great" and those are the ones that are going through the roof, not the crap lenses. Also, while we all know that photography is about more than the equipment, if someone on this forum posts a great pic taken with a certain lens, you can bet that there are a dozen people searching ebay for that lens within 24 hours fromthis forumalone.

Tim

PS: Early on I actually discussed buying ebay stock with my wife. I told her it would never work long term, it would attract too many crooks and fold up. <sigh>
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote