Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2007, 6:16 PM   #1

Obviously a dumb question!

What I really mean is that I have an old M42 Pentax 50mm f2. Now, while I appreciate that an extra stop might come in handy, is it worth the aggro of being outbid on ebay? Or should I just get the M42 / K-mount adapter?

If the latter (which is probably what I'll do) has anyone bought one of these? I'm in the UK and it seems that all the adapters on ebay come from Hong Kong and I think I'd probably prefer to buy one closer to home.

Thanks

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2

Hard to say what to do. If you had a collection of M42 lenses it would be a no brainer to get the adapter. But if you have just one... and it's a 50mm f/2... humm. I'd think you could pick up a K M 50mm f/2 for the same price as the Pentax M42 adapter or maybe even less. Split the difference and pick up a M or A 50mm f/1.7 and sell the M42 50mm f/2 is what I would do.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:25 PM   #3

OK I'm not a Pentex user at this time so you may ignor me if you like

Two things you might want to think about though

one with these adapters you will loose meter function and the auto difram (you will have to stop the lens dowm manualy for ever shot..or shot wide open)

Two 1.4 lenses are popular for their low light capability but f/2 lenses are usualy sharper. this is true of every brand.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Two 1.4 lenses are popular for their low light capability but f/2 lenses are usualy sharper. this is true of every brand.
Perhaps f/2's are sharper with other lenses. But the Pentax 1.4 is sharper than the f2. Now I don't have the 1.7 but I have heard it could be a bit sharper than the 1.4 but not by much. However I have both the f2 and 1.4 and the 1.4 is much sharper.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5

I have the 1.7 in several flavors and have tried an f/2. All of the 1.7s are sharper. The f/2 I tried was an M lens so I can't speak to other varieties but I found it underwhelming.

I second the motion to look for a used 1.7 or spring for a new 1.4. They are certainly worth their current price with the rebate.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:00 AM   #6

If you plan on buying more M42 lenses then the adaptor makes sense.

I have the M version of the 1.4 and 1.7. If you are looking at this flavor, definitely buy the 1.7. Mine are the same once stopped down to about f2, but the 1.4 is too soft for my tastes wide open while the 1.7 is tack sharp. I understand that they changed the optics of the 1.4 at a later time, and the FA 1.4 is much sharper than the M (can't remember if I heard that they changed it at A or F version).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 1:28 AM   #7

IMHO I wouldn't bother unless it is an A 1.4 and you will get added functionality out of it

K-M and M42 pretty much the same things just more convenient mount (K)

Last I llooked on the F/2 level very little difference in cost on the 50mm's.....
Though the K-M's tend to be smaller and lighter.

I'd really suggest trying to snag a n A though..... they are impressive glass.... plus AE funtional
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 5:12 AM   #8
TDN

the fast Pentax-A 50mm lenses are indeed very good, like Hayward said, if you can pick one of these up for a decent price, you won't regret it.

As for an M42 adaptor, I have one of these (click), from the same seller.

Make sure you only get one that looks like this though. The ones that have a broader ring that comes out of the mount will not allow you to focus to infinity.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:51 AM   #9

i've got a m42 super tak 50/1.4 and a M50/2 if you are interested.
be sure you don't get an adapter with a collar on it. these will not let you focus to infinity. i've got several originals .
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:31 AM   #10

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Obviously a dumb question!

What I really mean is that I have an old M42 Pentax 50mm f2. Now, while I appreciate that an extra stop might come in handy, is it worth the aggro of being outbid on ebay? Or should I just get the M42 / K-mount adapter?

If the latter (which is probably what I'll do) has anyone bought one of these? I'm in the UK and it seems that all the adapters on ebay come from Hong Kong and I think I'd probably prefer to buy one closer to home.

Thanks

Keith
Hi Keith,

I'm in the UK, andbought one from HK recently, with no problems using Paypal. Roxsen was the trader, delivery took about 10 days, though I find this can vary quite a bit, I have had stuff from there in under 6 days. I just recently acquired the K100D, mainly because I had several M42 screwfit lenses lying around idle from my film days. Hope this helps. ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote