Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Where is a good place to buy Hoya Pro filters. I need a circular polarizer and two UV(0)s in 52mm.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Larry,

B&H Photo in NYC is my recommendation. Good service, competitive pricing and a well established source among amateurs and pros alike.

I'm curious as to your search for pro filters. I have had good results with Tiffen brand products (all glass) from B&H (some even used) for about $10 a piece for UVs and no more than $20 for CP's. BTW, a linear polarizer seems to work just as good as a CP on my DL. You might even try your local Ritz Camera (or Wolf) for Quantaray branded filters. Quantaray is Ritz's house brand; the filters are reportedly made by Hoya for Ritz.

Hope this helps. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3

Over the years, I have learned that putting a $10 filter in front of a high quality lens does not improve the total quality of the image, but often degrades it.

Hoya Pros are hard, thin and don't remove much light, besides not adding to the lack of quality of my photographs (my skill level already does enough of that).

Larry in Dallas
Old May 27, 2007, 1:15 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Larry, I thought you were looking for "reliable inexpensive" filters (per the title of this thread)!

I guess it all depends on what kind of glass you are using them with. With my equipment is (DL with Sigma, Pentax (non-prime) lenses) I cannot see a pro filter enhancing the quality of the images a whole lot. For my applications, conventional filters seem to work OK!

Cheers, Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 2:34 PM   #5

i've used these guys for a few years. i highly recommend them
http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/cg.aspx

i use hoya also. not their best but what i find is good enough. i always get the HMC quality.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 2:40 PM   #6

larry,

i have a hoya purple label in 55mm i send you for $10. all you would need is a step up ring. the CP i have is a 67mm and i use it on practically all my lenses no matter what mm the lens is.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 2:21 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
larry,

i have a hoya purple label in 55mm i send you for $10. all you would need is a step up ring. the CP i have is a 67mm and i use it on practically all my lenses no matter what mm the lens is.

roy
Roy,

Thanks but I'll have to pass. Over all these millenia of taking pictures, I seem to have developed a patern for setting up and taking down my equipment. Using a step up ring will wreak havoc with it.

Larry
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:23 PM   #8

I was actually also looking for a good filter source. I've been taking lots of waterfall shots in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and I'd benefit greatly from an ND filter and CP.

Thanks for the link, robar.
fusion1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:49 PM   #9

Hi,

To answer the question "where do I get my filters from"? Well I used to go to camera stores to get them, But now seeing that the nearest camera store is over 100 miles from me I get them on eBay.

I just got a 52mm Circular polarizer ( Pro Spectrum 7)and a UV fillter (Nikon)for $10.00. The CP works great! I just tried it today. I doubt that I will be using the UV filter. So it may end up on eBay.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:19 AM   #10

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Over the years, I have learned that putting a $10 filter in front of a high quality lens does not improve the total quality of the image, but often degrades it.

Hoya Pros are hard, thin and don't remove much light, besides not adding to the lack of quality of my photographs (my skill level already does enough of that).

Larry in Dallas
However in certain conditions the best are just as bad as the poor.

I shot a lot of sunsets, and the protection is nice.... but evene a good filter will still yield and internal reflection of the sun (ghost sun) when shooting like 20 deg +/- right at it.

And since I don't have any $1000 lenses I have pretty much gone without, rish being preferable to bad images... much of the time unless I know I am going to be in a grimmy/wet environment and that not an issue.

And even a bright highlight reflection can cause that ghost reflection sometimes with a UV filter on front.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote