Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2007, 11:23 PM   #1

I've been experimenting a bit today (well, I joined NAPP and was reading one of their tutorials). I think I really like this for a frame, but would like some other people's opinion of them (slight variation of the same thing). Both pictures were taken with the K10 and A*300 a couple of weeks ago in Carmel (any comments about the photos would be welcome, too - I don't have that much opportunity to take ocean pictures).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Second one:

Another nice thing about doing it the way I did, the exif information is maintained.
Attached Images

Old May 27, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3

OK, how did you do it? It has been a while since I was at Carmel and your shots bring back memories. I think I have some film shots of Hurst Castle laying around somewhere.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4

Hi Harriet,

I like the first one better, with the shallower drop shadows -- and the ability to retain the exif is great for the purpose of posting on a forum like this. I definitely think that the borders add a nice touch finishing off the shots.

. . . so how'd ya do it?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 1:16 AM   #5

Scott - I think I agree with you that I overdid the drop shadow on the second one.

Done in CS2 - take the photo, double click on the background (changes it to layer 0), then use the crop tool to select the whole picture. Hold down alt and sizeone cornerlarger than the picture (resizes all sides). Use the layer styles (small "f" symbol at bottom of layers palette), choose "stroke" and size it however you want white border to be, and change the color to white. Before closing the dialogue, choose drop shadow and play with size and location. Close dialogue box for the layer styles and create a new layer below the photo. Choose a color to go with the picture, fill that layer and add any text you want on it. That's it (flatten and save as jpg).

Because everything is done on the photo file, rather than doing a frame and dropping a copy of the photo in it, it retains the exif information. It took longer to read the directions than it did to actually carry out the commands (several steps used things I've never experimented with before). Once I remember the steps it will probably take me longer to decide on a complementary color for the background than for the rest of it.
Old May 28, 2007, 4:15 AM   #6
TDN

Yep, first one does it for me too.

It's good that you chose white to go right next to the picture. I've noticed white or black works best for me. If you make an entirely coloured border, it'll end up distracting a little from your photos. But with the small white border, you don't have that problem

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 4:29 AM   #7

Good idea, and one I had read a few times, but not really done before.

Personally I prefer the 2nd one, but then I may be influenced by the spectacular shot in the middle.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:04 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like the overall composition of No. 2 and the frame really brings out the picture. No 1 is an excellent capture as well and for me look even better with a frame with a darker background (for more contrast). Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:05 AM   #9

Hi,

I like #2 Better. Why because the Outer color is darker and helps to make the picture stand out more.

Myself I prefer a heavier drop shadow, But it depends on the picture I use it with.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:30 AM   #10

H'
i like the pix. last time i was in carmel was the worse time of my life. the sea helped.

i've been using an action that i d/l . i like the frame it produces. for each of your color borders try giving them a bevel. it looks good. also this action bevels the image before adding the frame. i know i can make my own but this was sure simple.
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote