Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2007, 9:58 AM   #1

What are you using for insect repellent? I always worry about the stuff affecting the plastic on my cameras--any advice?
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2

12 gauge
i'm in texas

:blah:
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3

Hey Rick

I dont use insect repellant any more..I stopped using it many years ago.

The active ingredient in most repellants, DEET does deteriorate a large number of plastics.. Keep it away from all your gear..

I dont think that the long term effects of DEET on humans has been determined yet, but for myself I stopped using it due to rashes & a general feeling of unwellness whenever I used the stuff..

There's no denying the fact that DEET-based repellants do keep the critters away..

If you are going to be exposed to biting insects on a regular basis, then might I suggest researching ways to increase your body's vitamin B content??..It is a proven medical fact that humans w/a high natural vitamin B content are not attractive to insects..I had a friend named Randy..When he & I were in mosquito country the insects would land on him & walk around on his skin w/o biting..Myself, however they would land & bite immediately!!

Hope this info helps.

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:20 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
12 gauge
i'm in texas

:blah:

Hey Robar!

Wouldn't a 20mm "Chainsaw" automatic cannon work better!!!!

Bruce

Of course, compared to the mosquitos in Alaska the ones in Texas are SMALL!!

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:22 AM   #5

..Didn't know about the B-Vitamin thing. Ivory soap, even in the hair, the morning before a hike seems to work pretty well. I've also read but never tested the dryer sheet theory, although I've friends who swear by them. Tie one to your belt loop and in theory at least your belt loop will be bug free

DEET scares me.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6

We gave the dryer sheet theory a test last summer & it worked pretty well ...for mosquitos. My wife & I took a walk in a state park Friday & last nite she asked me to take a look at her back & sure enough she had a tick embedded right at her bra strap. That surprised me because usually they like hair (which we both checked for after the walk & after our showers a couple of hours later) but ticks like anywhere that they can dig in. From what little that I know about Lyme disease & other tick bourne diseases, they are nothing to mess with!

Good topic for the season, Rick!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:02 AM   #7

I guess I'm on the same page as most of you. Deet scares me--both for the health and plastic interaction reasons. My typical garb when shooting in an area that is buggy is:

1. Hat--floppy brim (for sun and to keep bugs out of my hair);
2. Long sleeved rain jacket (keeps them off my arms);
3. Jeans;
4. Hiking boots with socks.

The problems with wearing this outfit is that it gets really hot if it's above about 75 degrees. I've seen some hats with built in netting for the head and face, but have never tried one (anyone using one?)

I haven't tested the dryer sheet theory, but I will give it a try. I take a vitamin B supplement every day (and have for years), so it will be hard to gage if it makes any difference.

Any other innovative ideas?
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8

I use a "DEET free" Herbal spray I bought 2 years ago from Menards I believe. Other home improvement stores might have alternatives to DEET as well. My beef is that it is not that effective and, for some reason, I am a mosquito magnet (Vitamin B??). It gets really nasty in the woods around here and even when mowing my lawn late in the day. I have no idea what will do to plastic thou.

The one I have reads "DEET free" Bite Blocker Insect repellent in a 4.7 oz (140ml) bottle.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:15 AM   #9

I know some people who swear by Avon Skin so Soft was a mosquito repellent but I have never tried it. The netting works fairly well but you still have to deal the the annoying buzzing whine and they will bite through the netting if there is any place your skin is touching it.

Sportsmans Guide had five packs of military surplus head netting (supply your own hat) pretty cheap recently, I don't know if they still have them. Unlike states with real weather, hunting season in FL means dealing with lots of mosquitos and I use netting and layered clothing. Aside from when I am hunting I use the DEET based repellents. I figure something else is likely to kill me before the DEET can but I did not know about the plastic interaction, so I appreciate the warning.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:30 AM   #10

tim, i was just going to post the avon link. only heard it works. there is another product like this but i can't remember.

bruce, thanks for the vitamin B info. i've always wondered why when others are being eaten alive that i have no problem. i'm not saying i don't get bit just not near as much as others. being from new orleans i can assure you i know all about mosquito's
we did have to use the mini gatlin down there:!:

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote