Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Been considering a bellows to use as well as my macro lens..<

Never used one in my film camera days.<

Any advice as to the advantages or disadvantages of a bellows?..I expect that they are more awkward/ bulky to use as well as the bellows itself being more fragile??..I'm also guessing that a tripod is a necessity??

Can anyone post any shots comparing a bellows to a macro lens?..Is the quality of the images the same/ better/ worse than the macro lens??

Any information will be appreciated!!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!! BE SAFE!!

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 11:49 AM   #2

I just won one on ebay, impatiently waiting for it to arrive. As I understand it it can be used with any lens, but preferably it should be a macro lens to achieve a flat field. If you can wait for a few days you'll get my hands-on review.

I also know Roy has one and has used it for "tinyer than tiny" bug shots.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 5:34 PM   #3

I had a set for a while, as I always wanted them when I shot film. Bought for £11 and sold for £25.

Took about a dozen shots before deciding they were a pain in the arse to use, so invested in a macro lens instead.

DoF is thinner than a sheet of paper, and focussing is more by luck than judgement.

That said, if you put in the time and effort very good results can be obtained.

Just my opinion.

Darren

PS Off camera flash is essential!!!

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 6:06 PM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I just won one on ebay, impatiently waiting for it to arrive. As I understand it it can be used with any lens, but preferably it should be a macro lens to achieve a flat field. If you can wait for a few days you'll get my hands-on review.

I also know Roy has one and has used it for "tinyer than tiny" bug shots.

Kjell
no, roy does not have one. i do use ETs sometimes. i've always wanted to try one out but as darren said, it looked like a real PITA to use. that's why i never bought one. if you are shooting in a controlled setting i can see it but the real world is hard enough at 1:1.

bruce, if macros are what you want to try, i'd suggest either a cheap macro lens or a set of ETs and a 50mm.. the 50mm i could set you up with for 31usd shipped. if you're in the US.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 7:59 PM   #5

I have one for my film cameras. They can be a pain but fun too if you like to experiment. I made an adapter that allows me to use my enlarging lenses.

They did make some old ones that had lens mounts that would tilt and swivel. That would be the way to go if you were lucky enough to find one. Spiratone made one. Minolta made one that many people adapt. And Nikon made one but like most stuff Nikon made in the early years it's considered a collectors idem and the price will be way out there.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 8:29 PM   #6

I have a Pentax versio, but it is M42, but then I hava a M42 50mm Macro lens.

I used it mostly for slide copying with film and have only experimented with it with digital. It works very well, but as was mentioned before DOF is THIN and you need something that doesn't move to make it work.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:23 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the information.

Not sure, but I think I want to purchasea bellowsso as to experiment if I can find an inexpensive one.

Does anyone have any current images using one??

Would anyone be willing to shoot comparison shots (macro vs. bellows)of a static object to help me decide??

'preciate it!!

Bruce
Old May 29, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
no, roy does not have one.
Hmmm, I do remember a closer-than-close shot of a tick, :shock:,and a shot of the setup with the bellows on a tripod and the tick in a glass bowl. Was it Tom??

Kjell
Old May 29, 2007, 10:04 PM   #9

There are several Pentax Auto Extension Bellows for sale on E-Bay.

I have looked at several of the information sites & am still confused! (normal state of affairs)(nothing unusual)!!

If I understand correctly the Auto Extension Bellows is for M42 screw-mount Takumar lenses; & the Auto Extension Bellows III is for K-mount bayonet lenses.

Does anyone know the correct answer??

Sorry if I seem to be belaboring the whole bellows issue. It's just that I am ignorant about the subject & am tying to ed-u-ma-cate myself about them!!

Thanks aplenty fof the help!!

Bruce
Old May 30, 2007, 12:18 AM   #10

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
If I understand correctly the Auto Extension Bellows is for M42 screw-mount Takumar lenses; & the Auto Extension Bellows III is for K-mount bayonet lenses.
I think you're right here. Auto BellowsA and Auto Bellows K are also K-mount. Most bellows on ebay are M42.

Kjell