Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2007, 1:05 PM   #1

After a week shooting with the K10D, I find myself more amazed each day by what the camera will do. I've clicked off more than 1600 shots with it, and I'm finally beginning to feel somewhat comfortable with its operation.

It took a few days to adjust to where all the controls are, but they are now becoming familiar. General impressions (comparing the K10D to the Fuji s6000fd I have been using).......tremendously better control of DOF....fast, responsive shutter....very crisp images.

Just a few shots from the first week. A couple of flowers:
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 1:06 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 28, 2007, 1:07 PM   #3

A woodpecker
Attached Images

Old May 28, 2007, 1:09 PM   #4

and a deer, (taken at about 80 yards with a Tamron 70-300)
Attached Images

Old May 28, 2007, 2:46 PM   #5

looks like you're having fun. the rain is on it's way. i'll be glad to see someone else get it for awhile.
i don't know how others do it but this is how i keep track of the thousands of images in my computer. i only shoot in raw so i have to process the shots. i use to name the processed image with a name like you have. that's ok when all you have to do is go thru a couple of hundred shots to find the original. i learned very quickly to leave the name of the processed image the same as it came out of the camera.
i'll save it as IMGP9756.jpg.. if i have 2 or more then i'll save it as IMGP9756a.jpg. or just as 9756.jpg. anything as long as the number gives me a way to track the original.. also when i first started i put all my files into one folder. now i have folders for things like pelicans,lake4/8/07, tucson trip, etc.
knowing the number always lets you use windose(search) to find it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 3:36 PM   #6

Looks like you have having a great time with your camera!

I tend to not keep all that many pictures on the computer. I leave the files named the way they come out of the camera, shoot raw, then burn them to a DVD when I have enough. I then use LR to print a contact sheet of the DVD and file them in a notebook. The DVDs are (more or less) chronological, so if I'm looking for a specific shot I'll refer to the printed contact sheet for the file name.

Since I've been using Lightroom, I've been exporting the pictures to an external hard drive in tiff format and leaving that on the drive. I can always use either Lightroom, Bridge or something else to review them. I was keeping just about everything in Lightroom, with keywords and so on, but found that too many pictures in the program and my computer would slow down significantly when doing any pp.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 3:59 PM   #7

I don't try to name anything like all of my shots. The ones I consider worthy of keeping close track of, I assign a name after editing and have a fairly elaborate system of folders and subfolders. (The K10D is my first DSLR....but far from my first digital) When I have a large number of shots, I do a quick review and cull before I start editing, pick out the best for further attention, and then save others that I might someday use in acamera folder in the appropriate category, using the camera assigned file name.

With soccer files, generally the largest number of pic files on my computer, I use an eight-character system in which the first two letter identify the opponent, the third letter boys or girls, the fourth Home or Away. The next three letters are a shorthand for the player's name, and a number fills out the sequence in case of more than one pic of the same player in the same match. (You can tell I developed file naming conventions back in the day when eight was the character limit.) All of the shots from that particular match are then grouped in a subfolder for that match. The camera shots from that match are then placed in subfolder inside that one
Old May 28, 2007, 4:12 PM   #8

both cool ideas.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote