Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2007, 6:36 PM   #1

having heard that my 10 year old Sigma 28-200mm cannot be chipped I'm having to dig deep and buy a new zoom.

I had made up my mind to get the Sigma 70-300mm as it seems to have received good reviews (bearing in mind the price; cheapest I have found is 147GBP including delivery). But in looking for the best price I found a few reviews for the Sigma 28-300mm for not a lot more. Now, using that lens would reduce the number of times I'd have to change the lens. But ...

... what about the quality? I'm assuming that the shorter the zoom ratio, the better the lens.

Has anyone here had any experience with the 28-300mm? Is it any good? Is it worth getting instead of the 70-300MM? Am I just being paranoid about having to swap lenses? Am I asking too many questions and so wearing out the key with the question mark?

Thanks

Keith

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 9:52 PM   #2

Keith,
I don't own one, but the 28-300mm does not have a great reputation here. The general comment is that there are too many compromises in a lens with that wide of a range. The current Sigma 70-300mm APO has a pretty good rep and there have been a number of good shots posted here. I have an earlier APO model that does OK. I don't know if you could save money by buying it through a US source, I have seen it for about $200 here, which if my math is right would be about 2/3rds of your price but shipping would probably eat up much of the difference.

If you don't need the extra length, I think my Pentax 50-200mm produces sharper and more contrasty pictures thanmy Sigma.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:21 AM   #3

The sample of pictures I've seen from the 28-300 weren't all that great - if you want to go out as far as 300, stick with the 70-300 (lots of excellent examples posted here). I've seen lots of excellent pictures taken with the Pentax 50-200 (by others), my copy has a problem. I don't see the same thing with other people's pictures so it's probably a good choice. I haven't felt a need for anything between 200 and 300 (I have the A*300) so the combination of the DA 50-200 (very useful range)and a 300 prime is perfect for me. I'm always changing lenses, even with two camera bodies, and a little care with a rocket blower has taken care of any dust I've run across.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone here had any experience with the 28-300mm? Is it any good? Is it worth getting instead of the 70-300MM? Am I just being paranoid about having to swap lenses? Am I asking too many questions and so wearing out the key with the question mark?

Thanks

Keith
The 70-300mm is a very nice lens fpr the cost.....

BUT..... don't get anywhere NEAR the 28-300mmmm haven't had one on the K10D but did on my old Canon Rebel 300D and in wide open/low light any where near 300mm was really horridly soft AND dull contrast.

And in fact I forget who posted some 300mm shots and only guessed but said that has to be a SIgna 28-300mm (being so familiar with the low light look they have, and turns I was right. They do OK in bright daylight stopped down.... but you don't even want to us them above even 200mm in min light connditions.

On the other hand, I have been very happy with my recently aquired Tamron 28-200mm LD super.

Not perfect at over 150mm but infinately the better than the Sigma 28-300mm was even at 200mm

And it works just fine with the K10D in fact even in the P MTF optimum exposre mode.... as does the SIgma 70-300mm

An since I mentioned here is an exmple for today of the Tam 28-200... though all beit at the wide end (about 50mm). A little straight into still high sun flare but not really a negative factor.... looks much just like a sun ray. And friend turned up later pointed out I had gotten some gumk/smear on the lens so that might have been it too.

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:59 AM   #5

And at the tighter end (about 150mm) I try to stay away drom full 200mm on it... if there is reason to switch to my just 4x 100-400mm which does much better at 200mm.... Though tha Tam is still quite nice at full 200mm range...... again vs the 28-300mm pushed that to the far end
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2007, 1:42 AM   #6
TC3

Save yourself some money and get one of the Tamron 70-300mm from here at a silly price....you missed out on the price of 60 quid a few months ago.

http://www.tecno.co.uk/Products/Prod...px?SkuId=46072
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:59 AM   #7

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Save yourself some money and get one of the Tamron 70-300mm from here at a silly price....you missed out on the price of 60 quid a few months ago.

http://www.tecno.co.uk/Products/Prod...px?SkuId=46072
And many of the Tam and SIg lenses are very similar..... so just out of hand I'd say stay away from a tam 28-300mm too though never had or sure they make one.....

Likely Sigma hasn't in a while probably just a lot of old stock the still have.... that novices are sucker enough to buy still.... Sig (or both) would be smart to just discontinue them.... and not so compromise their oterwise well deserved reputations.

That is just stretching things too much.... actually amazed the Tam 28-200mmm does as well as it does be both wide to semi long zoom..... but the 28-300's are a disaster.

Not sure Sigma makes a 28-200mm but if they do its probably OK too..... as you are talking 7x vs really stretching things 10x vs 7x .

And some with say well P&S do fine at 12X..... MUCH shorter FL (like 7- 84mm)
That does not scale well to 10-125mm it would be in 35mm

And what most also don't see in P&S..... yes 12x but it is the smal physical scale and small sensor that makes that possible......

10x on 35mm is usually horrid unless you are spending BIG bucks.....such as the Sigma BIGMA 50-500mm.... but that is $1000

Budget lenses 4x (like my Phonex 100-400mm) is safe and for sure don't go over 7x.... OK just 3x more for the BIGMA..... look up logarhytmic progresion.... that's what starts to happen.... after 4x or so in 35mm things quickly stop being a linear 1 to X relationship compared to the tiny scale P&S's.

And why the Bigma is $1000 instead of $200 or less.

Old May 30, 2007, 2:54 AM   #8

Hi Keith,

Does your Sigma 28-200mm have an "A" on the apeture ring? If it does, why not use it? If the lens has the "A" on it it should be able to use it.

I have the both the Sigma 70-300mm APO and the Sigma 28-200mm (with the 62mm front lens) and I am very happy with the results from both of them.

I would NOT getthe 28-300mm. For me it is Too much zoom in one lens. The 28-200mm is at the max for zoom range for me.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:54 AM   #9

what body are you using

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:06 AM   #10

Thanks guys. I sort of knew that the 28-300mm would be a "no-no" but I thought I'd better check.

Having seen more references to the Sigma than the Tamron, I think that's the way I'll go.

Hayward - I just love those photos. I can't see a setting sun without pointing a camera in its direction. OK so they don't always come out. But when they do ...

TC3 - thanks for the link; that is quite a saving. However, I suspect that the Tamron is the equivalent of the non-APO version of the Sigma which is avaiable for less than the APO albeit not as cheap as the Tamron. But as I said above I think I'll go for the Sigma

Rudy - The lens is already set to "A" although I thought that related to the aperture and not the focussing. In any case Sigma have told me that the lens isn't compatible and cannot be re-chipped, hence my need for a new lens (or as it could be referred to - yet more bl**dy expense!)

errno_gmm - I have the Samsung GX-10
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote