Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 30, 2007, 9:44 AM   #11

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
Since I had to replace my computer, I was "forced" to begin using Vista. I use Paint Shop Pro X for my PP and they offer a patch (10.10) to add things needed for the software to operate properly under Vista.

Well, when I tried to install the patch, I received an error message that the installer couldn't find the file "Data1.cab"* I have been going back and forth with Corel for over a week and a half, and there is still no resolution. They claim the file should be on my hard drive under C:Program FilesCorelPaint Shop Pro XInstallation Files, but the folder doesn't exist. Then they said it should be on my installation CD--again, the file does not exist on the CD. I finally e-mailed them screen shots of searches of the hard drive and CD tonight, but I had to send them to an e-mail address at Corel that may not even be read (I had to use this route since the web site support e-mail on Corel's web site won't allow me to paste the screen shots or attach a file.)

This is really frustrating...thank you Microsoft

Everytime when we upgrade our OS, there are bound to be softwares not ready for the updating.
The software that I have with Vista are Activesyn (to my pda) & Wordperfect 8 (that is ancient anyway). These are those that I am aware of.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:44 AM   #12

Try this Rick,

Install your patches in order. You are using PSP 10, and I am assuming it is a fresh install. You need patch 10.10 to get it to work with Vista correctly. Install patch 10.01, then 10.02, then 10.03, and finally 10.10.

Hope it helps.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:11 AM   #13

Been there, done that a number of times. Fresh install, then update patches in order, etc.--same problem.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:12 PM   #14

Try disabling your anti-virus and then installing. If that still doesn't work, delete your anti-virus, reboot, try installing, then reinstall your anti-virus.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:46 PM   #15

Just got off the phone with Corel. They can't figure out what is going on, so they are going to give me (for my trouble) a free install of PSP XI which is "Vista Ready" out of the shute (the download version includes the Vista patch for XI). We'll see how this works.

The issue I have been running into is that when I profile my monitor using PSP 10.03 and set it as my default, when I boot PSP, Vista changes back to its "basic" color space and I can't tell if what I see on my monitor is anything like I will see from my printer or anything like what other people will see on their monitor. Hopefully, the Vista patch will solve this problem.
Old May 30, 2007, 8:33 PM   #16

I know that you probably bought a computer with Vista preinstalled. One thing to remember, though, is that most Micro$oft OS licenses allow you to install an older OS under the license. If you found that XP suited your needs the best, you could actually install that using the Vista license and still be legal. I dunno if that is any help but it might be an option.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:34 PM   #17

Steve's seems to be lagging tonight. Double post, sorry.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:29 AM   #18

I downloaded the new version of PSP last night--it works well. I can now calibrate my monitor and use the profile in PSP (rather than having Vista switch back to its "Basic" color space).

As I mentioned before, other than the PSP problem, I haven't had any issues with Vista. On my 2 gig, dual core machine Vista takes up about one-third of my RAM, but applications run quite fast (Vista does have more efficient memory management than XP). I still have the option of setting up to bott in either XP or Vista, and I may pursue that in the future.