Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 29, 2007, 7:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rickst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,599
Default

Since I had to replace my computer, I was "forced" to begin using Vista. I use Paint Shop Pro X for my PP and they offer a patch (10.10) to add things needed for the software to operate properly under Vista.

Well, when I tried to install the patch, I received an error message that the installer couldn't find the file "Data1.cab" I have been going back and forth with Corel for over a week and a half, and there is still no resolution. They claim the file should be on my hard drive under C:\Program Files\Corel\Paint Shop Pro X\Installation Files, but the folder doesn't exist. Then they said it should be on my installation CD--again, the file does not exist on the CD. I finally e-mailed them screen shots of searches of the hard drive and CD tonight, but I had to send them to an e-mail address at Corel that may not even be read (I had to use this route since the web site support e-mail on Corel's web site won't allow me to paste the screen shots or attach a file.)

This is really frustrating...thank you Microsoft


Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 9:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NonEntity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Placid Florida USA
Posts: 2,689
Default

I don't know if you can blame Micro$oft for this one, sounds like Corel may be the one at fault here. I just checked my Paint Shop Pro folder and did not find that file either. I also ran a search for that file name and found it under numerous other folders but nothing relating to Corel and Paint Shop Pro that I could determine.

Sorry,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi Rick,

Thanks for another confirmation to not "upgrade" OSs -- I think if I were in your situation, I would have requested XP SP2, and if that weren't possible, I'd have just tried out Vista, and at the first serious glitch, I would have trashed it and installed XP.

Understand that I'm an OS reactionary, and switched to from DOS to Windows 3.11 in '95, Win 95 in '98, win98 SE sometime after Y2K, and to XP reluctantly only after most of the PP software that I wanted to use came out with new versions (with features that I wanted) that wouldn't run on 98 SE.

It just seems that once I'm comfortable with and discovered how to cope with an OS, and have a nicely working, stable system, they release the "latest and greatest" non compatible OS, that's usually got more issues than I want to deal with.

I usually don't need all the features and cutting edge software, and at least there's a wealth of knowledge out there by the time I do decide to switch. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you can blame Micro$oft for this one, sounds like Corel may be the one at fault here. I just checked my Paint Shop Pro folder and did not find that file either. I also ran a search for that file name and found it under numerous other folders but nothing relating to Corel and Paint Shop Pro that I could determine.

Sorry,
Tim
Quote:
scott wrote Hi Rick,

Thanks for another confirmation to not "upgrade" OSs -- I think if I were in your situation, I would have requested XP SP2, and if that weren't possible, I'd have just tried out Vista, and at the first serious glitch, I would have trashed it and installed XP.

Understand that I'm an OS reactionary, and switched to from DOS to Windows 3.11 in '95, Win 95 in '98, win98 SE sometime after Y2K, and to XP reluctantly only after most of the PP software that I wanted to use came out with new versions (with features that I wanted) that wouldn't run on 98 SE.

It just seems that once I'm comfortable with and discovered how to cope with an OS, and have a nicely working, stable system, they release the "latest and greatest" non compatible OS, that's usually got more issues than I want to deal with.

I usually don't need all the features and cutting edge software, and at least there's a wealth of knowledge out there by the time I do decide to switch. . .

Scott

i have to agree with both here. altho i never had a machine until '99 because i knew what it would do to me.. i was right.
personally, i think it's corels problem..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you can blame Micro$oft for this one, sounds like Corel may be the one at fault here. I just checked my Paint Shop Pro folder and did not find that file either. I also ran a search for that file name and found it under numerous other folders but nothing relating to Corel and Paint Shop Pro that I could determine.

Sorry,
Tim
Rick

I have To agree with Tim. I cannot Find the File Either . However i know what You mean. I usually am the first to upgrade to a New OS. This time however i was just So happy With XP Pro and several Of my Programs were not Vista ready,That I just said no to Myself. Unforunatly You had no Choice as your PC died.

Good luck getting It Running

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Sorry to hear about your computer problems - makes me VERY glad Best Buy was able to fix my laptop, so I didn't have to "upgrade." At some point I'll probably upgrade and buy CS3, but just not yet. I'm still trying to learn CS2 and there's a certain lens I want to buy, a monitor calibrator, several other accessories etc. - my budget just doesn't stretch very far any more...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your computer problems - makes me VERY glad Best Buy was able to fix my laptop, so I didn't have to "upgrade." At some point I'll probably upgrade and buy CS3, but just not yet. I'm still trying to learn CS2 and there's a certain lens I want to buy, a monitor calibrator, several other accessories etc. - my budget just doesn't stretch very far any more...
i'm very happy with XPpro. no upgrade plans. recently got an older spyder with OPTIcal s/w for $35. works great!! i'm very happy with it. as far as PS goes, i have cs2 but v5.5 is still mystifying me!! i don't think you can ever completely learn this program..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bluwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 592
Default

Hi,

It appears that the installer is only used when it is installed and then deleted. It is not found in version 11.20 either. It should be with the update or it uses windows installer to do the update.

Do you stll have a copy of XP? It seems that would be your alternitive. Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Rickst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,599
Default

My comment regarding Microsoft is that it seems insane to me to release an Operating System that is incompatible with relatively recent software releases.

I have no other issues with Vista--seems to be quite stable and, once you turn off a couple of annoying features, relatively intuitive. I have been able to download new drivers for all of my other equipment and software with no problems.I had no choice as far as purchase--it was already installed on the machine and XP was not available. I have XP on my old drive (converted to an ecternal hard drive) and I am considering setting up so I can boot in either XP or Vista.

Corel has been less than helpful with the issue. I have now begun a series of e-mails to their Customer Service group to try to rectify the situation--we'll see how they react.

Nice to hear that the files they claim are on my drive aren't on other peoples' drives, either.

I will keep you informed of my progress with Corel (or lack of it).
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

When Corel was a Mac program their customer service was lacking at best, so I stopped using it out of frustration.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:00 PM.