Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

Elk Calf In TROUBLE

This calf and his mother got separated by a sheep fence on their way to the high country for the summer. Looking at the photo his Mom is in the field on the other side of the fence and behind him. He wants to go to the right of the photo but that won't work because it is all sheep fence. I have to herd him to the left of the photo pass a little creek to a regular 5 wire fence which won't even slow him up and then he and Mom can continue their trip to the high country. A couple of problems I am standing on a state highway and I can't let him get on or across the highway.

Here is a very upset mother elk. She was hollering and every time a car would go by she run away from the highway about 25 to 50 yards then would work her way back to about 50 yards from the baby calling to him the whole time.

I got half way between the fence and the highway and started herding him towards the creek. Things are working good at this time I got him to the thicket at the creek. We only need to get him to cross the creek then thru the 5 wire fence and all is well.

He he is at the creek.

WE have a problem he is scared to cross thru the thicket and is turning towards the road.

I run to get on the shoulder of the highway and this did turn him back but then he took off the wrong way down the sheep fence. I went on the back side of the highway and took off to head him off. About 50 yards later he had stopped across from Mom and was pushing on the sheep fence. This gave me a chance to get on the other side of him and I started herding him back towards the creek. After the same thing happening 3 times he and I were both pretty tired so I backed off the pressure a little hoping he would go across the creek or lay down so I could go to town for help.

Here he is just before he finally went behind the rock and laid down. I waited a couple of minutes and went to town for help.

I recruited my wife and a young healthy hotel guest and back we went to finish the job. Ok now we have a plan and are ready to implement it. Rich our hotel guest is down by the fence I am 1/2 way between the fence and the highway and Barbara is on the highway and a herding we go. One time he panicked and tried to head to the highway and Barbara got him turned after slipping and falling down on the road. As soon as we got him across the creek thru the thicket he went thru the 5 wire fence and took off towards mom as she was coming towards him. Barbara is Ok a couple bandages on her scraped up knee. It was dark when the baby and mom got back together but I am pretty sure I saw them stop and look back from the top of the ridge on their way to the high country. My guess is mom was looking back to say thanks.

So far we have been pretty lucky with babies in trouble this year first the baby owl and now the elk calf and both are OK. If you missed it here is the link to the baby owl story.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2

Lucky mom and baby! Great pictures (as usual) but an even better story with a most excellent ending. Here I thought I was good because I always pull my car over to help a turtle cross the highway. The world is a richer place with you in it. Keep up the good work, both documenting and aiding the wildlife around you!
Angie I.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:56 PM   #3

spedangie wrote:
Quote:
Lucky mom and baby! Great pictures (as usual) but an even better story with a most excellent ending. Here I thought I was good because I always pull my car over to help a turtle cross the highway. The world is a richer place with you in it. Keep up the good work, both documenting and aiding the wildlife around you!
Angie I.
Angie thank you so much for such a nice comment. I understand about the turtle I would do the same thing.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4

It amazes me that you can get pictures while you are trying to herd that little guy. That first picture is outstanding, and thanks for a story with a happy ending.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It amazes me that you can get pictures while you are trying to herd that little guy. That first picture is outstanding, and thanks for a story with a happy ending.
Getting pictures will herding really was not diffulcult. I just don't get in a rush about most things and in this case trying to hurry would not of helped to get him where he needed to be. The whole idea was to keep him concerned enough to move but not to panic him and rushing would of made him panic. Plenty of time to get a photo or two. Thanks for commenting and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:28 PM   #6

Roger, you are THE MAN! You have a good heart (& an excellent eye, too!) I'm just curious about the elk. Are they just too big to jump like a white-tail?? Being in Southern Illinois, it is nothing for a 6 month old fawn to jump a fence like that. Or was it just scared & excited about being apart from Momma?

Thanks for sharing this awesome talent of yours!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:43 PM   #7

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Roger, you are THE MAN! You have a good heart (& an excellent eye, too!) I'm just curious about the elk. Are they just too big to jump like a white-tail?? Being in Southern Illinois, it is nothing for a 6 month old fawn to jump a fence like that. Or was it just scared & excited about being apart from Momma?

Thanks for sharing this awesome talent of yours!

Ron
Ron this young fawn was probably 2 weeks old at the oldest. At 6 months the fence would not even slow him or her down. Thanks for the nice comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:36 PM   #8

Well Done . Thank You.

Wonderful story, you should be proud.

The photos are good too. :-)
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:27 PM   #9

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Well Done . Thank You.

Wonderful story, you should be proud.

The photos are good too. :-)
Thanks Rodney since everything turned out OK it was a good effort. Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:06 PM   #10

Nice pics and a nice story Roger, good job.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote