Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:52 PM   #1

In front of our subdivision is a good sized pasture. Sunday I took a walk along the main road next to that pasture because I thought I might take some pictures of cows. Many here post fascinating pictures of deer and birds, but I figure that there's beauty in a cow, too.

I've ended up with 8 pictures - can't make up my mind which to not post. All of these were either on the cow's side of the fence, or just across it next to the road. What surprised me was how interesting one cow pasture can be, if one just looks a little closer.

First, the cow (K10, A*300). I have no idea what the various breeds of domestic cattle are (Hereford or something else?).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2

I took several pictures of various cows and calfs in the field and almost all of them showed a smaller occupant. Notice the blackbird in front of the cow - think it'sa Rusty Blackbird, but it might be a Brewers Blackbird.

The main water source in the pasture is a spring-fed pond. Last year this pond had water all year, but the winter has been very dry and it looks like the water won't last all summer. There's always a variety of ducks (and occasionallyother transit water birds) on it. - The pond is a long way from the road, maybe a quarter mile? K10 with A*300, and I wish I had a good TC for this. I wasn't going to post any of the duck pictures because they aren't the best - I need a longer lens for the pond - but thought they fit into the series too well to leave them out. This is close to a 100% crop - the ducks are not much more than large dots from the road, and you can't see enough to tell what they are without binocs or a long tele lens.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3

Looking a little closer, and lower to the ground, I found several unexpected occupants. I'm not sure whether these are ground squirrels of some sort or prairie dogs. They came up to take a look at me.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:06 AM   #4

A movement caught my eye not far away, and saw something looking out at me. I'm again not sure what this is, because the pictures in my guide don't quite match up to the two pictures I caught of this bird. Here is the first one, hiding in the (not very green) grass.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:08 AM   #5

When I didn't leave, the bird did. Both of these were with the K10 and A*300, and both are almost 100% crops. If anyone knows what bird it is, let me know - I'm sure it's something common.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:10 AM   #6

A smaller occupant, this time on my side of the fence. The roadside is natural - gets mowed down when the weeds get too high, but any flowers are wildflowers. There aren't very many this year, you barely notice them when driving by (at 60 mph). They are there if you look while walking along.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7

The next two are also flowers (my favorite subject). All three of them were taken with the K100 and my Phoenix 100mm macro lens. The K100 is in no way a "lesser" camera to the K10, I'd like to think of it as a little sister.

I think this is called a tree poppy, though it was low to the ground. It was apparentlyone of 3 flowers that wasunder consideration to be named California's state flower (the orange California poppy was overwhelminglyselected).
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8

Finally (last one, I promise), another flower. Don't ask me what it is, I have no idea. But it was one of the few bright spots of color along the road (the other type of poppies that are blooming close up at night and they hadn't opened yet).
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:19 AM   #9

WOW all of this in one trip. Mark this trip as a very gooood trip.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:19 AM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
When I didn't leave, the bird did. Both of these were with the K10 and A*300, and both are almost 100% crops. If anyone knows what bird it is, let me know - I'm sure it's something common.
Hi Harriet,

I'll take a stab at the bird -- Killdeer -- because of the black beak and the double black neck rings. I believe the other Plovers only have one.

Very good shots all, but I think my favorite is the last. The background looks like flames of vegetation.

The cow is also very well done, but I'm not much of a cow fan. . . I'd call it a Black Angus though -- since they seem to be all the rage at the supermarket. . .
but I really don't know. :-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote