Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:50 PM   #11

mtngal, put me in the category of those who love their grip. I'm a big man with very large hands. The extra hold of the grip makes the camera fit just perfectly in my hand, allowing me a great deal more stability than if I had to cram my hand into a smaller area. I have shot the K10 without the grip a few times just to compare and I'm far more stable with the grip.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:54 PM   #12

You didn't notice a drop in build quality between the body and grip? Not an issue to always be taking it off to get to the battery compartment?
pcfranchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:26 AM   #13

I agree with you about the "cheap" feel of the slide out battery compartment, but I like the overall feel of the grip.

The other question you raise I thought I would solve by setting the camera to use the grip battery first, then simply recharge the grip battery fairly frequently while only recharging the one in the camera occasionally since it would be a backup. However, twice I have had the grip battery run out on me and the camera doesn't autoswitch back to the one in the camera. In both cases the battery went without warning and without any indication on the battery level meter. Thus, to switch to the internal battery, I had to remove the grip. Seems an unnecessary hassle. It may be that I have something set wrong (I've had the camera less than a month.)

That, however, is the only "complaint" I have had with the K10. It's my first DSLR, and I have a lot of learning to do, but overall, it's wonderful.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:57 PM   #14

According to the manual, you can use the grip first then the body.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:54 PM   #15

I'm not sure if I will keep the grip on full time. Im normally a little crazy about caps and caring for my equiptment. How have you been caring for your grip while its in the bag? The cap on the top leads? The rubber pull tab on the bottom of the camera body? Any words of wisdom?

pcfranchina is offline   Reply With Quote