Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:00 AM   #1

I think I am about to upgrade from my well liked K100d to a K10d. Just goin to get the body and the grip. I already have the the kit lens, the tamron 70-300 di and some older pentax glass. Should I expect a big change in performance? I also may be looking for a flash. Right now the only flash I have is a Sunpak 383. Not sure how easy it will be to use on the k10. Any ideas? has anyone made the switch from k100 to k10?

Many thanks!
pcfranchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:11 AM   #2

I have both the K100 and K10, and am still using the K100 quite often. As far as image quality goes, the K10 has (my opinion) better AWB, but otherwise similar quality. When I first got the K10 I was evaluating two 50mm lenses (thought I should sell off one of them, but still haven't done anything about it). I posted a series of not very interesting pictures of tire tracks. Once both full frame pictures were reduced to screen size, I couldn't tell the difference between them. You could see the difference when they were blown up to 100% (I also posted some crops).

What does the K10 give you over the K100? Certainly more controls on the body (I change metering and AF points much more often now). I'll use Sv mode on occasion when I really want to use ISO 1600 (something I normally avoid) where I wouldn't bother if I had to go through a menu. The second adjustment wheel is nice and it's great that it is so customizable (though don't forget what you have customized it to!).

Another advantage to the K10 is going to be the new DA* lenses. I had a chance to play with one Friday (Pentax rep at my local camera store) and it will be very sweet. The focus mechanism is so quiet and you aren't even aware that it's doing anything before it locks on.

The main disadvantages to the K10 are it's larger size (I tried the grip on Friday and couldn't deal with it at all for normal shooting - not worth the money to me), and it isn't as good as the K100 at ISO 1600, if you do a lot of low light photography.

I love having both cameras, and have no intention of giving up my K100.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:23 AM   #3

Well I have no intention of selling off the K100. Seems like the 2 of them can play nice in the sandbox. I was hoping to like the grip. Double battery power seems nice too. What are you doin in the lines of a flash?

Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:40 AM   #4

I use FGZ 540 flash on K100D and it is awesome. The drawback is that it is quite big, not to mention the most expensive. Not very good if you plan using it on trips etc.

I have one question for those who either upgraded to K10D from K100D or even DL: how big of an improvement is the ISO100 over the ISO200 in terms of noise (if any)?

I might upgrade to K10D before the current rebate offer expires, unless I get in love with another lens, of course :-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5

WOW look at the size of that thing!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:32 AM   #6

ISO 100 is about the same as ISO 200 noise wise.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:06 PM   #7

ISO 100 and 200 are about the same noise wise, but the K10D does give more resolution for cropping.

That flash is as big as the camera, I never realized it was that large.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:17 PM   #8
TC3

I see no point in going from the k100d to the k10d. I like the better high iso performance of the k100d and to me that is a feature i like to use. Personally i would and will keep the k100d a bit longer till the next batch come out
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:57 PM   #9

If you are planning on two bodies, then it makes sense (yes, they do work together well). The only thing is that I sometimes have to think about which camera I'm using because a few of the controls are in different places (and of course, the K10 has a whole lot more options at your fingertips). In some ways I found it easier to have the DS and K100 as my two camera bodies since the only differencecontrol-wise was the SR switch.

I've not actually done anything about a flash - that's an area of photography I don't understand and haven't explored at all. About as far as I've gotten is how to adjust the on-board flash and to occasionally use a piece of vellum to diffuse it some.

P.S. - About the grip - some people love theirs, so the best thing to do is go hold one with it on. I'm not very big and have small hands, so the extra weight of the grip and battery is just too much for me to comfortably handle. The grip places my hand too low to comfortably reach for the zoom or focusing ring. I was disappointed as I'd like the controls for portrait shooting (flowers and such). I don't seem to have any trouble with the battery running out, so I don't feel a need for an extra battery (while I do with the K100).

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:29 PM   #10

Ok I just picked up the k10d body and grip. The love the build quality of the the body. The grip on the other hand feels a bit on the cheap side. The slide out batterye ot compartment is kind cheap. I also dont like the fact that I have to remove the grip to get to the body battery. Is that the way it works on other grips? How is the feel compared to other brands?

Phil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcfranchina