Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1

I've been noticing the past week or so that when my batteries are getting ready to go, my photos on auto are getting very dark and the settings are showing -2.0 step compensation. The default is set to 0.0.

One time I had CRV3's in it, another time I had rechargeable Rayovac hybrids in it. Camera is the K100. This has happened probably half a dozen times in the past few weeks.

Probably easiest to see them at http://picasaweb.google.com/nhmom50/...oto102_lesson1to see the EXIF data. The third and fourth photos and the ones right below in the index of the ferns in the yard are some examples of what I'm talking about.

I thought it was because my batteries are getting low, because each time when I take out the batteries and either put in fresh ones or put the same ones back in, the auto photos are back to normal. But, my instructor tells me it can't be the batteries.

Any thoughts on this? It hasn't happened again since I put in a newly charged set of Rayovac's. But, would really like to know it is only the batteries causing the problem and not my camera. I've had it since August 2006 and taken close to 5,000 photos with it.

I did notice when I recharged the Rayovac's the other day that three of the batteries recharged in about an hour, but it took the fourth one about 4 hours. These four batteries have always been together, not switched with another set.

Thanks for any input.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:43 PM   #2

I don't see how the battery could cause the problem, but then I don't have a K100 either. It doesn't happen with my DS when the batteries get low and that uses AA's.

I had one rechargable battery go bad in a set and was forced to replace it because it started to cause the others to not work properly.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:56 AM   #3

I can't figure out how the batteries would affect the exposure, either. However, I HAVE noticed that with the K100 that my pictures appear a bit underexposed when the batteries are getting low. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough that I've wondered if the lack of power has an effect on the light meter or something. Just doesn't make sense to me at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:39 PM   #4

Makes sense - sort of.

If the light meter is getting low power, then it will not give the correct results.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:55 PM   #5

So, concensus so far sounds like I'm alone here. I've taken probably 180 photos on the newest charge of the same batteries and so far, no problems.

I had been getting hundreds (close to 500-600 sometimes) on a charge of these Rayovac's. I have three sets and not exactly sure how many times any have been charged. I've only charged batteries maybe 4 times since I got these, though. So, maybe once each or maybe always the same set. Not sure.

Do people identify sets of batteries? How would you label them? Wouldn't want to put a sticker on them. Or, write on them. Any ideas on that. Or, is it even necessary. In the past I only had two sets of rechargeables for my old p&s and just switched off with them.

I was going to wipe the contacts on the batteries and inside the camera (gently with a Qtip or something) to make sure nothing was making them lose contact. But, hate to mess with it if they are working for the time being.

Thanks, Patty
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6

Hi nhmom.

I have not noticed that with My K100. Since you have had it happen With both the CRV3 and the rayovacs, Then its most likely not the battery. But Stranger things have happened.
I am Not sure what you mean By identifing batterys. However I have 6 sets of NIMH batterys and each set is In a hard plastic case.
If you are refering To How often they were charged. I dont keep track Of that. I just make it a habit to chrge them all before I go shooting and if i have a dry spell. i just charge them all Once every few weeks.

BTW did you get the new charger and which did you decide on?

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:47 PM   #7

With my DS when the batterieis get low strange things happen, lots of different misoperations as the settings seem to go haywire.

Put in a fresh set of batteries in and everything comes back to normal.

I find the battery indicator on the camera to be useless as generally it shows full charge most of the time.

I allways carry a spare set of freshly charged batteries, with another set in the flash gun if I get desperate.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:49 PM   #8

With my DS when the batteries get low strange things happen, lots of different misoperations as the settings seem to go haywire.

Put in a fresh set of batteries in and everything comes back to normal.

I find the battery indicator on the camera to be useless as generally it shows full charge most of the time.

I always carry a spare set of freshly charged batteries, with another set in the flash gun if I get desperate.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:41 AM   #9

Thanks, Black Knight and philneast.

Yes, I've tried to think that one through too about it being the battery or camera. It seems maybe the camera needs a full (at least not draining) battery to work correctly. It's just that, in the past year using CRV-3's until recently, when the batteries were going dead the camera just quit working. Well, maybe time will tell. I might be shooting a lot this weekend so we'll see.

Except for the exposure not seeming to be right, I haven't noticed any other things going haywire. But, then I'm a real novice at this.

BK - you asked about the new charger. Yes, I got the 401. That is the one I noticed that 3 batteries charged about the same length of time, but the fourth battery took twice as long. I like it. It's quick even on slow charge. And, I like the fact that each battery displays individually when finished.

I guess my question on the battery identifcation was in reference to me maybe figuring out if it is a certain battery that might be causing the problem. As in the one that took so long to charge. I have the camera and the flash that each require 4 batteries. I have 3 (although, I thought I had 4) sets of the Rayovac hybrids. One set each in the camera and flash and one spare (it seems) right now. Also, carry a set of CRV-3's that would be used if I had no rechargeables working.

Thanks for the input. Philneast, at least I'm not alone in noticing wacky behavior when the batteries go low.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:04 AM   #10

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Do people identify sets of batteries? How would you label them? Wouldn't want to put a sticker on them. Or, write on them. Any ideas on that. Or, is it even necessary.
It is a good idea to have reasonably matched sets of batteries, so that the weakest one doesn't have current driven through it when it's getting low. This isn't as much a problem in cameras as in flashlights, for example, because the camera should have a shut-down voltage set so that it stops well before the battery's flat.

Another reason for, if possible, not mixing up sets is the high self-discharge rate of most rechargeables. If the batteries have different histories, they will obviously start in a different state of charge unless they're identical, and recently charged in the same way.

To identify the individual cells, I write on them with CD/DVD-marker pen, and repaint the number now & then. To stop the numbers rubbing off, don't rattle loose batteries around, wrap them up in neat sets, e.g., in a separate thin plastic document wallets, which makes a neat package and little to volume & weight

Good luck,

Alan T
Nice to meet you here as well in 'Challenge!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote