Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:17 PM   #11

Hi Bruce

I am much like Ronny.

1. PC. P4-3.2 -1Gig and a 250GHD. Using a 19' Flat screen LCD. As of this moment it Meets my Needs. Would i Love to get a Better/ Newer Pc Sure but, there are other things in life to worry about.
PC-2: Laptop- Intel Pentium M 1.8 with 1gig of Ram and an 80G HD. This is my backup Machine. 90% of all editing Done on PC.

2 Thought about upgrading to Vista, but I decided that was not Nessacary. Using Win XP Pro and it Is Very stable. As far as Image editing programs. I have PSE 5.0, PSP10, CS2 and a full verison of Adobe Lightroom. For all My RAW images i Use Raw Shooter Premium( ISTDS) and the modified version for My K100D.

3: Periferials. 250G Usb Backup drive, Panatone Huey for moniter calibration, Sandisk 12 in 1 card reader. If needed 1gig thumb drive. If i every get off my Duff and go to Bestbuy and get a SATA Cable, I will Slave in my old 120G HD to My main PC.

3 Printer HP 8250. does a great job and seems reliable. Unless its just a Single picture, IMHO Its much cheaper to send the picture To an Online printer

4: 1/2 hour tops on PP

5: Since i dont have the K10D, i cannot answer that question

Phil

P.S. I Will agree on backing Up. I load my pictures on to the PC. Then Imediatly back them up to a DVD-RW and To my Backup drive. I also Leave them On My SD card.
After i have gone throught them and deleate or PP them. Any remaining, I then do the exact same thing again. However this time I will deleate from the SD card.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:34 PM   #12

1 and 3. I'm using a 2+ year old laptop for everything (Centrino, but I don't remember what processor, other than it is not a Celeron). Upgraded to 2 GB RAM - 1 MB is minimum but 2 is better, especially for K10 pictures. I use a 250GB external hard drive, and back up to a DVD as soon as I have enough for one. The external hard drive is relatively new - my laptop's HD failed and has been replaced. I use it's built-in card reader for transferring pictures (comes in handy for when I'm on the road). At the moment I have an HP Photosmart 8250 printer, but I don't print very many pictures. It seems OK, but not great. I use a 19" LCD monitor when I'm home, the laptop's monitor isn't very good. I'm not unhappy with the speed/capability of the computer at all, and prefer to have everything on the same set-up.

2. XP, and happy with it. When the computer dies I'll switch to Vista but I'm not in any rush. I mostly use Lightroom and CS2 and that seems like a good combination for me. When I finally upgrade I'll buy CS3 (and not use Lightroom)- there are a couple of interesting new features in it, but they aren't important enough for me to switch now. Been using Photoshop since Photoshop 3. The Pentax software is nice for some things - it's easier to find all the camera information with it. PhotoLab is competent and I was using it exclusively for a while when my computer was in the shop. However, it doesn't run well with K10 photos on a computer with only 512MB RAM.

4. I like playing with my pictures, so I sometimes take quite a bit of time with them. But that's because I enjoy it. If I'm not in the mood I won't spend so much time on them. I don't think about average time per picture, since I do this strictly as a hobby and something I enjoy.

5. Get as much RAM as you can. Two monitors would be nice, but I'd rather use the laptop.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:51 PM   #13

Thanks for all the answers!

Doesn't look like very many use the Mac.

When you compare the Mac to a PC, feature-to-feature, the two systems stack up extremely close to one another.

The problem, if you can call it one (money?), is that Apple does not sell "low end" entry-level computers.

By the time that you add features to a basic PC so that a fair comparison can be made, there isn't much difference in the cost between the two systems.

As far as software is concerned, most companies have stepped up to the plate to provide software for the Mac OS X operating system..For the software only available to run on the Windows platform, the newer Macs w/ the Intel processors allow you to run Windows in a parallel set-up along with the OS X programs with a utility called Bootcamp (?) (hope I got the name right!)..

The other thing that is different is that all the programs on the computer when you purchase it are "full blown"..They are not trial versions as is common on the PC..There is also not as many games & stuff on the Mac as the PC..More "real world" practical programs..Just my opinion..

With all the problems with viruses, malware, spyware, etc. a PC seems to be a problematic at best..You ALWAYS seem to have to be worrying about making the computer "run right"; instead of sitting down, turning it on (if necessary), & going to work..

Amazing all the things you can learn in less than a month..Did so by visiting the Apple Store (12 customers before the store opened at 10 A.M., midweek, in a mall), talking to Apple customers, talking to referrals by the store, lurking on several forums, & finally asking questions on the forums..

By the way, fully half of the 12 or so employees at the Apple store were over the age of 30..The woman who helped me was in her late 30's & could relate to my angst & ignorance over computers (I'm 53)..Several of the 4-5 people in the for tutorials / help that morning were between 60-75 years old!!..Totally COOL!!

For me that will be the main advantage to my purchasing the Mac Pro..Free tutorial help whenever you need it!!..I can't remember now if the free help is gratis (re. with purchase), or comes as part of the Apple Care extended maintainance package..Either way with my absymal knowkledge of computers the tutorialwill be of tremendous help.

Again, THANKS for all the help from those who have posted!!

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:04 PM   #14

good gravy :? those all sound like sweet machines!!! Makes mine seem like a dino already.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:57 AM   #15

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Since I have joined Steve's Digicams I have not posted any photos..The reason is that I have been experiencing computer problems due to viruses/ spyware & the slowing down of the machine..Accordingly, Iam consideringthe purchase of a Mac Pro later this year to set up primarily for photo editing/ processing/ printing..

The reason I am condidering the Mac is that everyone I talk to says that it is more intuitive to use than a PC..I am not particurily intelligent about computers.

I am currently taking a series of classes atlocal community colleges to expand my inadequate knowledge of computers, as well as basic courses on Photoshop (I am a TOTAL novice)

I have the following Questions:

1. PC or Mac??..How is your computer configured (hard drive, RAM, etc.)??..Is there any thing that you don't have that you wish you did??..That you have that you feel you don't need/ are not using??..Is it fast enough for your current & future needs??

2. What OS are you using??..Happy with it??..What photo editing software do you use/ wish you had??

3. What peripherials are you using??..Card reader, scanner, printer??..

3. How is your printer set up?/..Color, B&W, or both??..Is it reliable??..How often do you print??

4. How much time do you average PP on the images that you take??

5. Is there anything specific to Pentax DSLR's, in particular the K10D that I need to know about concerning computer set-up/ usage??

Any info/ help will be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

Bruce

With me it has to be a PC. I been building PC since windows 98 and I just finish building this computer last month. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo e4400 overclocked to about the same performance as the e6800. Pretty much I made my $150 processor to be about the same speed/performance as a $700 processor. I have 2GB of ram, 2x80GB RAID 0 Hard drive, 500GB internal drive. At the time I have just about everything that I "need" but not everything that I "want". Want is different from need.

I am using windows xp pro and adobe cs2 for my photo work. I don't plan to upgrade to vista yet mainly because I don't have the money to buy it. Also I don't really see the need to upgrade to cs3 yet when cs2 is able to do everything that I need. Unless if I can get a killer deal on buying cs3 cs2 will do the job for me.

At the time I don't have a printer. I don't think I need one beause I hardly print out the prints that I shoot. The only thing that I have connected to my computer that is photo related is the memory card reader. It is a cheap one that I bought from frys and it seems to do the job.

My computer if pretty fast so I don't really need to wait that long to convert raw to jpeg. I just figure out how to batch process raw to jpeg and I don't see a any difference in speed between my computer and the Macs at school. When it comes down to PP, I take about 1 minute or so just to touch up some pictures that I want to keep. For the photos that I really like I can takes days to do because it is a never ending process.

I don't have the K10D but I have the K100D. If you buy a current computer, you shouldn't have any problem with using it with the camera. But as far as photosho goes you want at least 2GB of ram. This is one of the most important part when getting the PC.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:27 PM   #16
PDL

Sounds to me like you wanted a Mac from the get-go. Which is OK since Mac's are very nice machines. As for me:

Built the machine by buying parts - 3GHz P4 - 2GB RAM - very old Video card (128MB) - 149GB C: drive - 250GB D: drive - CD-RW burner - DVD-RW burner - OS is Vista Ultimate.

Software - Lightroom - PPL - Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 - various exif editors - and the Pentax codec (I can view PEF thumbnails and get basic information out of the PEF files).

Runs like a champ - I have been using MS software since the early 80's (DOS 1.1) - was on the Windows 95 and Windows NT beta (still have the beta and rtm CD's) - never had a virus and I am not stupidenough to fall for phishing attacks.

I also never - ever surf while logged on as an administrator - the only place I go is to MS for updates - that's it.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:06 PM   #17

PDL wrote:
Quote:
Sounds to me like you wanted a Mac from the get-go. Which is OK since Mac's are very nice machines. As for me:

Built the machine by buying parts - 3GHz P4 - 2GB RAM - very old Video card (128MB) - 149GB C: drive - 250GB D: drive - CD-RW burner - DVD-RW burner - OS is Vista Ultimate.

Software - Lightroom - PPL - Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 - various exif editors - and the Pentax codec (I can view PEF thumbnails and get basic information out of the PEF files).

Runs like a champ - I have been using MS software since the early 80's (DOS 1.1) - was on the Windows 95 and Windows NT beta (still have the beta and rtm CD's) - never had a virus and I am not stupidenough to fall for phishing attacks.

I also never - ever surf while logged on as an administrator - the only place I go is to MS for updates - that's it.

PDL

Greetings PDL

When I first started this "Quest" two months ago for a computer of my own that could be used for a variety of tasks, I was not even considering anything but another PC.

My main concern then, & now, was to spend as little time as possible trouble shooting the machine, and as much time using the machine as possible..To that end I was not even going to have an Internet connection so as to eliminated the major threat from viruses..

For a 53 year old man who can & has done virtually every type of home improvement repairs, & worked as a professional carpenter, painter, & machinist in my youth; I seem to have had toomuch fear/ respect for computers..The two that we have owned over the past 4 years have suffered from constant malfunctions, viruses, malware, & slowdown.

Part of the problem is due to my 70-something mother playing on-line games, & making basic mistakes..However, a good portion of the blame/ responsibility for all the problems lies squarely on my shoulders as I screwed up both computers by typing in improper commands due to my almost total ignorance about how they worked.

However it happened, the first computer's hard drive had so many viruses on itat one point that the person who built it for us had to replace the hard drive.

The one that we have currently also got infected to the point that we replaced the Norton anti-virus program w/ AVG Gold..Since replacement we haven't had a single virus..This is due in part to new procedures/ Internet habits as well as the software.

After all the money spent over the past 4 years on two "basic" computers, upgrades, software, & paying professionals to fix our mistakes, I decided it was time to start educating myself about computers..Not to mention all of the help from relatives & friends..

I started taking summer classes at the local community colleges on June 2, & won't be finished until sometime in September..I got home today (June 9) after my second 9-hour Saturday class..Todays class was Basic Windows XP..I learned so much today that I didn't know previously that it almost makes me want to cry/ scream/ shout Halelujah!.

The only reason that I even looked at the Mac's at all was a good friend insisting that I "just go to the Apple Store & take a look"..I had all of the misconceptions already mentioned in this thread..Not because I had any actual knowledge about Apple/ MacIntosh computers..My "knowledge" came from listening to others speak about them.

When the saleswoman told me that I didn't have to worry about viruses, malware, etc., I thought she was just bullsh*****G me!!..Then after spending some weeks talking to actual owners, & perusing the Internet looking for information I realized that she was substantially correct in what she had told me.

It seems that due to Apples very small percentage share of home computer sales the people who spend enormous amounts of time writing virus programs concentrate almost all of their efforts on writing programs to infect Windows-based software..They do this apparently so as so derive the most satisfaction in causing harm fot the amount of time spent creating these programs.

The few that have been written to date for the MacOS either have patches that are virtually 100% effective in blocking the virus, or Apples in-house virus-blocking software in the OS already does the trick..

Anyway, after reading several hundred posts all claimimg the same thing, as well as speaking to close to two dozenMac usersin the Baltimore area, I tend to be leaning towards a new Mac Pro with OS X , in conjunction with a new "clean" PC running in parallel with Windows on it..The PC will have on it the software that isn't available for the Mac..

Sorry for the long post, but these are my thoughts as of now..If I felt that I could build a computer myself w/o ruining it I might try some of the things that you other posters have talked about..I am several months away from a new purchase so I am going to learn as much as possible before buying.

Thanks again for all the advice & info!!

The people on this forum are really GREAT!!!!!

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:32 PM   #18

I wouldn't buy a mac and a pc together unless if you really need both or if you just have a lot of money. You said that you want to get a pc to run programs that mac won't run. I think that is not needed because when it comes to photography, almost every program for PC can be bought for a mac or something very similiar to it. Really 90% of the windows program (not just photography) have a mac alternative to it. So I wouldn't worry about a program that only runs on windows.

Also that thing about macs and virus. With macs you don't have as much virus but it does not mean that you can't get a virus. But if something does go wrong with a mac it will be more to fix it if it's not under warranty. First of all, the upfront cost of a Mac is a lot more expensive compared to a PC for what you get. The replacement parts on the mac that is not shared with a pc is a lot more expensive, like the motherboard(Logic board on a mac), IF you can find a place that sells it.

With PC, if any parts goes out, you can find a cheap replacement at just about any computer store...that is if you know how to replace it. But I am sure you can find a kid down the street that can replace it for you for $20 if you supply the parts.

If you are still going to school and have a school ID, you can get a pretty good discount from the mac store if you decide to go with a mac.

If you are planning to get a PC, I would wait until fall if you can because that is when most of the PC goes in sale.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:49 AM   #19

I use a -

1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 Mac Mini with 1 GB
Tiger 10.4 Operating System
Philips 190B LCD Monitor
Canon Pixma iP 3000 Printer
Photoshop Elements v3

I don't need to worry about spyware, viruses, etc.
I got sick and tired of continualy updating my virus scanner and my 3 differant spyware checkers on my old PC that ran XP and AMD 3200 with 2 GB. I don't want to be a security expert, i just want to create, so I love using my Mac, it's as fast as my PC, even though it's only a 1.25 GHz.

Of course the latest Macs are even faster with Intel and you can run Windows , Linux, whatever in Parralels or by Bootcamp.

A friend of mine recently bought a PC with 3GHz and 1 GB plus a cheap LCD, this cost her $ 1299 with no software. Sure you can buy $800 deals but these are junk.
My Mac Mini, LCD cost the same but came with Tiger OS and iLife (iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD and GarageBand)

Photoshop elements is a little dearer for windows
Photoshop cs3 is the same price for Mac or Win
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote