Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:54 AM   #1

Since I have joined Steve's Digicams I have not posted any photos..The reason is that I have been experiencing computer problems due to viruses/ spyware & the slowing down of the machine..Accordingly, Iam consideringthe purchase of a Mac Pro later this year to set up primarily for photo editing/ processing/ printing..

The reason I am condidering the Mac is that everyone I talk to says that it is more intuitive to use than a PC..I am not particurily intelligent about computers.

I am currently taking a series of classes atlocal community colleges to expand my inadequate knowledge of computers, as well as basic courses on Photoshop (I am a TOTAL novice)

I have the following Questions:

1. PC or Mac??..How is your computer configured (hard drive, RAM, etc.)??..Is there any thing that you don't have that you wish you did??..That you have that you feel you don't need/ are not using??..Is it fast enough for your current & future needs??

2. What OS are you using??..Happy with it??..What photo editing software do you use/ wish you had??

3. What peripherials are you using??..Card reader, scanner, printer??..

3. How is your printer set up?/..Color, B&W, or both??..Is it reliable??..How often do you print??

4. How much time do you average PP on the images that you take??

5. Is there anything specific to Pentax DSLR's, in particular the K10D that I need to know about concerning computer set-up/ usage??

Any info/ help will be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Hi Bruce - This is Bruce. I probably do it simplier then a lot of people. This may be good or bad. But to each his own. After playing with several RAW programs, I finally found I could do just as good a job with the Pentax software. I shoot everything in RAW now and delete what I don't like after looking at them in PPB. The ones I want to keep I use PPL and convert them to TIFF. These are about 13mb's, so I don't keep them after I am done.

I am one of those guys that has used Irfanview for years and like it, so I load the TIFF into Irfanview, crop the picture, resize, sharpen and save it as a JPG. I have found that most of the playing with contrast, saturation or tone, I can do in PPL before converting to a TIFF. I really don't do any post processing in Irfanview, just cropping, resizing and final sharpen. Most of the pic's I save to 1024 x 768, because that's what my monitor is set at. Really good reason huh.

Anyway, after playing with the JPG versus RAW thing for awhile, I finally decided I like shooting RAW and having the ability to do a lot of work in PPL if needed. RAW just gives me more latitude to play with my majorscrewups. For people that like to shoot JPG's, that is good too. Good luck to you- Bruce

PS - I forgot to mention that I only spend a minute or less usually in PPL. It's pretty fast once you get use to it.

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

1.PC, it is an AMD Athlon 640 3000+ and has 1GB of RAM.Two, 200GB hard drivesstriped, and a single 160GB for temp storage. Internal 16X DVDburner. External 250GB portable USB hard drive. 19" LCD monitor.

2. Running Windows XP, works good with the hardware I have. Adobe Photoshop CS3.

3.A Canon Pixma Pro 9000, a Canon Pixma i1600, an Epson R300, an Epson Photomate, and a HP Photosmart Compact Photo Printer.

3a. The EpsonR300 is my printer for printing on inkjet CD's. That is all I use it for.I use the Epson and HP Photo printers for running of 4x6 prints easily. Pop the card in and print kinda deal. The Epson is setup to do color and the HP is setup to do B&W. Works well for photos on demand when out photographing at events. The i1600 is my standard printer, use it to print letters, e-mail, directions, etc. The Pro 9000 is my bread and butter. If I am printing photos for a client, that is what i use.

4. PP depends on the photo and what I am trying to do. If it looks good out of the camera, I do a little USM andsave as a JPG. Takesabout a minute. If I really work over a picture I caneasily spend 10, 20, 30 minutes just depending on how creative I want to get and how long it takes forme tobecomeinspired.

5.Not anything K10D or Pentax specific. If you use Adobe get the latest version of Camera RAW if you shoot PEF.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:25 PM   #4

Welcome Bruce. I thought for a while before replying to this one.

1. PC or Mac? - A long time a go I would have agreed with your friends and said the Mac, as it was designed with graphics in mind. However, times change, and whilst everyone buys a computer for work, we all use it for various tasks. Looking at the costs involved, the Mac is a lot dearer to buy initially and the software is dearer (due to a small market) but it is easier to use and there are less problems with virus and spyware, as the kiddies can't afford them. You would be limited in some ways with the softare available though (a bit like Linux) - most programs are for a Windows based PC. For these reasons, plus several thousands £'s worth of software, I bought another Windows based PC a few months ago. Intel P4 (makes a change for me, usually have an Athlon) 1Gb RAM, 150Gb HDD and 300Gb External HDD. DVD Burner.

2. What OS are you using?Using XP. It is getting better, but Win98 was the best. I use Photoshop CS2. Very happy with it and no need to upgrade.

3. What peripherials are you using? Epson R220 printer, HP Scanner with negative carrier, graphics tablet.

3. How is your printer set up? Both. Very reliable. Print virtually every day, always onto A4

4. How much time do you average PP on the images that you take? How long is a piece of string? With my DL2 I used to shoot RAW, then spend from 5 minutes to 1 hour+ PPing. Now I have the K10D, I shoot RAW plus JPG all the time, so I can see and print immediately if I want.

5. Is there anything specific to Pentax DSLR's, in particular the K10D that I need to know about concerning computer set-up/ usage? Not particular to Pentax, but get as much RAM as you can afford and a big HDD. Then back up photos to CD/DVD. Then back them up again - had media fail a couple of times now.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:14 PM   #5

get the fastest processor you can and at least2GB of ram. i'm running an amd3200+ with 1.5GB and i know it'll do better with 2g ram. canon ip6000d printer. it's amazing for the $$$. prints look like from a lab. dual 19'' monitors(real nice). photoshop tools and palettes go on one, image working on on the other calibrated monitor.

i use to save as Tiff format (17-30meg each) until i researched some labs for printing. there are a few that only accept files saved as jpg at PS 10 level. they say there is no gain by using the larger file. i've tried it and tested it and it's correct. why use 17megs of hdd space when all you need is 2meg. i do retain my 10meg raw images however.

for software, if you don't want to spring for PS then get PSElements. i've never used pentaxs s/w as i've been very happy with ACR. i spend very little time on PPing. i've got a couple of very simple actions i've put together that work as a one button push. to me, if you have to spend more than 5 minutes on PP then you should have chucked the image in the first place.

just my 2¢ (alt+0162= ¢)

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:19 PM   #6

Hi Bruce

I am also fairly new to the forum, although I have posted one or two pics.

As for yor questions:

1) PC for me. The Mac is acknowledged as being more suitable but I'm an aging techno-geek so want the ability to "fiddle" with the hardware (even tho' I haven't done that for a while). It's a Pentium P4 3Ghhz with 1 Gb of RAM and 200Gb disk, DVD writer. I'd like more of everything and for it all to be faster and to have the latest graphics and sound cards. But do I need them? Nope!

2) XP, that's what came with the computer 18 months ago. Happy with it? I suppose so. Just a pity it's Micro$oft. Just can't be bothered to load Linux.

3) The main peripherals are a USB2 card reader that seems quicker than the built-in reader, an HP scanner, HP inkjet printer (altho' not yet tried printing any photos), a small graphics tablet (bought because it seemed such a bargain. Now all I have to do is find a good use for it), an external USB hard disk for backup.

4) Actually have 2 HP printers but both have the black cartridge plus 3-colour cartridge. Am thinking that when I start to print photos I'll replace the black cartidge in one of the printers with the 3-colour photo cartridge.

5) I only crop and resize at the moment. And then only when necessary.

6) Don't think so. Conventional wisdom says to use a card reader rather than wasting camera battery to transfer your photos to the hard disk. Also I would strongly suggest that you BACK YOUR PHOTOS UP onto CD or DVD. Of course, if you don't it's no worse than the bad old days of transparencies. I'm actually quite anal about it in that I backup to DVD and to the edternal hard disk (which is kept about as far away from the computer as possible).

Have fun

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:32 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
get the fastest processor you can and at least2GB of ram. i'm running an amd3200+ with 1.5GB and i know it'll do better with 2g ram. canon ip6000d printer. it's amazing for the $$$. prints look like from a lab. dual 19'' monitors(real nice). photoshop tools and palettes go on one, image working on on the other calibrated monitor.

i use to save as Tiff format (17-30meg each) until i researched some labs for printing. there are a few that only accept files saved as jpg at PS 10 level. they say there is no gain by using the larger file. i've tried it and tested it and it's correct. why use 17megs of hdd space when all you need is 2meg. i do retain my 10meg raw images however.

for software, if you don't want to spring for PS then get PSElements. i've never used pentaxs s/w as i've been very happy with ACR. i spend very little time on PPing. i've got a couple of very simple actions i've put together that work as a one button push. to me, if you have to spend more than 5 minutes on PP then you should have chucked the image in the first place.

just my 2¢ (alt+0162= ¢)

roy
I hear what you are saying Roy about the JPg images. I have just join a stock agency, and they will only take JPG level 12.

On a different subject, what graphics card are you using for your dual display. The ones I use at work are Matrox ones with a dual port (Fat connector!). Do you use this one, or are you using 2 separate cards?

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:45 PM   #8

Ok here goes

1. PC or Mac??..How is your computer configured (hard drive, RAM, etc.)??..Is there any thing that you don't have that you wish you did??..That you have that you feel you don't need/ are not using??..Is it fast enough for your current & future needs??

Just talking about the stuff I use for photo's - and at home
  • PC1 - p4 - 3GHz - 1Gb Ram - 400Gb disk[/*]
  • Laptop - Centrino 716- 1Gb Ram - 80Gb disk[/*]
  • Usb2 drive 160Gb -> contains the working space for the images
    so al the images I have (they can still fit on it) are located on this disk, as my document, and software projects I'm working on.
    [/*]
  • I work on the PC and Laptop to process them (whatever is free), use the PC as backup, and an extra 250Gb drive as extra backup.[/*]
At work I've got the same PC, less disk but because I take the 160Gb with me I do process some shots over there, if I'm fed up with working (just some breaks)

Still need something to automatic calibrate a monitor, am still thinking how I can get my boss to pay for it :G

2. What OS are you using??..Happy with it??..What photo editing software do you use/ wish you had??

• Windows XP sp2,
    Got the possibility to change to Windows Vista, but wil wait till I upgrade to a new. XP doesn't give me any problems so why change.
    [/*]
  • Photoshop CS3 (edit),
    [/*]
  • IMatch 3.6 cataloging images[/*]

3. What peripherials are you using??..Card reader, scanner, printer??..
3. How is your printer set up?/..Color, B&W, or both??..Is it reliable??..How often do you print??
  • Don't use a card reader just the usb cable, faster than the card reader in the laptop.[/*]
  • Got a HP4570c scanner but don't use it that much, used it for film[/*]
  • Almost never print photo's - just sent them to a printinglab - more kost effective and better quality than my Hp deskjet[/*]

4. How much time do you average PP on the images that you take??

• When I start at least an hour.[/*]
5. Is there anything specific to Pentax DSLR's, in particular the K10D that I need to know about concerning computer set-up/ usage??

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:56 PM   #9

1. PC--Acer Aspire 4400+ AMD Athalon 64X2 processor. 2 Gig of RAM;
2. Vista Home Premium OS. Seems to work fine;
3. My PC has a built in media center with card readers--works great. Printers--HP Photosmart 8250 and Canon Selphy for 4 X 6 prints. Canon Canoscan LIDE 20 scanner;
4. The HP prints in color or B&W. I usually print a few 4 X 6's and a couple 8 1/2 X 11's each week. Both printers are very reliable;
5. I usually average about 5 minutes per image with RAW processing and PP;

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:23 PM   #10

I remember about five years ago I heard a lot of graphics pro's complaining because their employers were switching from Mac's to PC's when upgrading to save money. Many of these same pro's later praised their new PC's. saying they liked them better than the mac's.

I have an outdated PC myself need a good camera first then I'll upgrade the computer. I have found that I like working with two monitors. I keep all the pallets etc. on one monitor and nothing but the image I'm working on on the other. I have found I like this better than one BIG monitor. It does require CS2 or better though for photoshop. It also works well for being on line if you use a messager of some kind.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote