Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:24 PM   #11

Thank you all for your replies and comments. I haven't tried this technique in low light condition (or indoors for that matter) or with flash. I'll take some shots tonight. This is indeed one sharp lens!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:02 AM   #12

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Last night I read some threads discussing the "focus trap" technique used with MF lenses. Since I happen to have a 50mm prime MF lens from my old SLR days, which I haven't used much with my K100 because I kept missing focus
Just out of curiosity an A or M 50mm Until I got a 1.4 A 50mmm I addored my 1.7.... and the once Kit F/2 before that but both the 1.7 and especially 1.4 blow it away. But the f/2 because they were "kit" are prevalent and darn cheap bargains, still even with everyone now after old Pentax glass.

And prime differences with in the 100D and 10D..... pentaprism.... can't say I never miss manual focus with the 10D but especially with a bright fast lens like the 1.7 or 1.4 even in dim light rarely. (usually more of a not noticed DOF issue when not shooting squarely) The AF blip confirmation is nice but as that is center point only, not always where I intend to focus... again especially in narrow DOF situations.

Focus trap has its aplications as long as you don't need a particular moment of exposure.... and great for static stuff, unless again a shallow DOF you was to focus between two points to get most of interest in focus vs just nearest AF tends to do.

Fore square static and scenics like this absolutely a boon, especially on the smaller dimmer mirror VF's.

By the way something I have never heard mentioned of the 100D, does it like the K10D if SR is on at power up with and A, M or M42 lens goes right to the set SR FL screen?
That is very convenient, at least for prime lenses which all my MF/A/M are.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:44 AM   #13

Hi Hayward, my 50mm is an SMC-A lens. My only complaint is withthe focal length limitation. It's OK for portraits but not wide enough for landscape and not long enough for wild life photography. Yes, the K100 has the same feature as the K10D. As soon as you turn it on and it detects a non-AF lens, it prompts you to set the focal length. Now, my question is, if I have my 50mm on, should I set it to 50 or 77 (75 is not an option and I don't understand why)? The reason is because the 50mm is actually 50x 1.5 so it becomes 75mm but I'm not sure I should be making the conversion myselfor the camera will do it. If the camera does it, I should enter 50mm. Any thoughts anyone? And talking about features, my fav is the third position of the on/off knob, which takes a sample snapshot of the image (if you set the menu accordingly) w/o recording it. I use that all the time to check exposure and composition before taking the real photo. It saves me tons of space on my memory card because I end up with mostly good images.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:20 PM   #14

From my reading of things, you should set the SR to the FL of the lens, as a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens on digital and film. Just the angle of view changes.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:18 PM   #15

Darren is correct, focal length never changes, it is a physical property of the lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:43 PM   #16

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It has been mentioned in this forum several times to my certain knowledge.

Darren
you're right darren but i think it's been well over a year except briefly last fall when i could not attain it with my 500mm.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:27 PM   #17

robar wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It has been mentioned in this forum several times to my certain knowledge.

Darren
you're right darren but i think it's been well over a year except briefly last fall when i could not attain it with my 500mm.

roy
Hi Roy,

I know I've at least mentioned it at least three or four times in the last 6 months. I remember one thread where Daniel was trying to shoot chickadees in a feeder and Bigdawg had posted some hummingbird shots. I'm pretty sure there were others also relatively recently.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:16 PM   #18

Is there any way to get this to work with a DL? I could have sworn there was a setting to turn off the shutter actuation until the object is in focus, but I can't get it to work with my M42 takumar.

TIA!
fusion1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:30 PM   #19

this should work with the tak. you have to have the cam set to AF. that's the trick.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:55 PM   #20

I set the camera to AF-S and set it to AF on the body. When I used the kit lens, the shutter will not fire until it's in focus. With the Takumar on there, even with focus confirmation enabled, it will still fire off shots.

If I'm simply going to have to wait until I get a K100D, no problem. If it's something I'm doing wrong, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys.
fusion1420 is offline   Reply With Quote