Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:06 AM   #11

Neat pictures so far. I like the Salt Lake City Temple, because it's interesting how you dealt with the vertical lines and perspective.

Ira - your black and white conversion is nice, too. Your old buildings are so interesting to someone stuck in the big city all the time.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:27 AM   #12
PDL

withdrawn.

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:17 AM   #13

Thanks for the comments on the temple, Sarah. I can't believe more people aren't posting photos. I love this topic.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:50 AM   #14

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I can't believe more people aren't posting photos. I love this topic.
Patience, patience... I'm just in the middle of finishing the school year, working day and night. Then I'll go out and see what I can find, we've got so many 14:th and 15:th century castles around here, and medevial churches, and a brand new Cultural House in town...:crazy:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:58 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Patience, patience... I'm just in the middle of finishing the school year, working day and night. Then I'll go out and see what I can find, we've got so many 14:th and 15:th century castles around here, and medevial churches, and a brand new Cultural House in town...:crazy:
Kjell
I will take my time as well. I had an over abundance of great arch pict in the recent trips to Israel and France. It is not that I have suddenly become a good photographer. Just happened that I could hardly screw up with the quality buildings/structures/subjects all around me last month.

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/france_trip_07&page=all

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/jerusalem_trip&page=all

You tell me how can┬*I go wrong with these snap shots

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23469550

For Toronto there are quality bldg but a bit difficult to find. These are the projects of these two weeks.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:50 PM   #16

Not trying to rush anyone, Kjell and Daniel. :-) I was just looking forward to seeing others photos for this as I love these types of shots.

I may change mine before the month is over. Depends on whether the weather changes any here or not. Been rainy and stormy for weeks now.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:51 PM   #17

Daniel - taking pictures of beautifularchitectureisn't as easy as you say. I've seen lots of lousy pictures of inspiring buildings, many of them taken by me.

I'm going to post this as my entry. I've been to this building several times and this is the closest I've managed to come to capturing it's uniqueness. The building is not yet open/occupied (they are stillworking onthe interior).

You are probably wondering what you are looking at, other than what appears to be a maze of straight lines at funny angles. The building is done in two parts, and there are inter-connecting catwalks leading between the two wings and between floors - it reminds me of a courtyard where people walk across the grass and create their own paths with no regard to symmetry.

But that'sonly part ofwhat makes this building so interesting. As you might havenoticed, there are cars parked under the building. That's not such an unusual thing - they build parking garages under buildings all the time. But that's not what they did - the 6 level parking structure was built in the 1960s (I think). They built the building AROUND the parking structure - you can see the corner supports on the far side of the structure, and used massive steel beams to span it. The two buildings are separate, with seismic joints between them.

The Maze - K10, kit lens.
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:43 AM   #18

A-MAZE-ing building!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:45 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Daniel - taking pictures of beautiful┬*architecture┬*isn't as easy as you say.┬* I've seen lots of lousy pictures of inspiring buildings, many of them taken by me.
Harriet
You have sharp eye for interesting form and structures. And your entry is. The point that I wanted to make is that, for me during last month, good architectural shots were so abundant that I did not even have to find it. They are there. Sort of in your face type and you can hardly go wrong with simple snap shots. Just getting lazy as it was my first trip to Europe.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:29 PM   #20

Kjell - love your pun!

Daniel - I hear what you are saying, but it still takes someone with a feel for what they are looking at and a good idea of how to make the most of it photographically to get a good shot. While having beautiful buildings might make it easier for a talented photographer, it isn't a guarantee for success. I can't tell you how many lousy pictures I've seen of Yosemite, a place where I once thought it was impossible to take a bad picture. I'm looking forward for what you decide to post because I'm sure it will be outstanding. By the way, I've learned a great deal from your Zenitar pictures, like some of the elements that make a wide angle shot interesting.