Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1

Trying new photographic subjects is always good, and I always learn something from it. So this month's challenge is a topic not many of us here explore on a normal basis. There's been several areas of photography I've either been thinking of exploring or have started to explore, and this is will push me into actually doing something about one.

Photographs can be whole rooms or buildings, or details of a building. Pictures should be taken this month - while I think it's harder to have a topic first and then find a subject, I've always learned far more from the experience than just going back through old pictures to find something suitable. The learning experience is whatI find so valuable on this board and with these monthly challenges.

Here's a picture I took today to get things started. Some background - there's a fitness program where I work, you can earn things like tee-shirts for walking a certain number of steps. So every lunch time I walk somewhere to take pictures (killing two birds with one stone). Today I happened to find myself by a lovely old building which dates back to the 1920's (old in California terms), and realized that I had never been upstairs (used to use one hallway as a short-cut and that's about it). Rather than take the elevator (since exercise was half the point of being there), I walked up the stairs, only to find this window at the third floor landing. I ended up walking all around the third floor checking out the stained glass that lit the four staircases of the building, a totally unexpected surprise.

P.S. The building can be modern, old or whatever. One entry per person but you can change your entry if you take something later on that is better. I'll probably change this one later on in the month, since there's this brand new building that I find fascinating. I just need to figure out how to capture it's uniqueness in one picture.

P.P.S. Took out the stained glass window and am posting another building below

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:45 AM   #2
TDN

nice choice!

I'll be exploring the city to see what I can find
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:56 AM   #3

great,,, one of my 2 banes

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 2:08 PM   #4

Mine, too, Roy. Think of it as a learning experience. Straightening vertical lines is acceptable (good practice since there's sort-of a trick to it), but not required.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:16 PM   #5

Well, I guess maybe I should adjust the rules a bit, since it seems this isn't that popular a topic. So I'll open it up to architecture taken with a Pentax camera within the last 3 months.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:34 PM   #6

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:09 PM   #7

Here's one of mine. The Salt Lake City Temple.

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:23 AM   #8

OK, with the last three months opened up, here is one of mine. If I get something new this month I may replace it. Castillo de San Marcos, St Augustine.

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:37 AM   #9

Here is my entry, taken yesterday:

The extreme contrast of the early afternoon sun gave a rich tonality to the simple black and white conversion so I left it as it was rather than try to brighten it up. The house is in a small community (we call them "outports") called Moreton's Harbourthat was once a prosperous fishing village but is now mostly just a collection summer residences.

This particular house is 140 years old, the door frames are only 5'8" so I have to duck (hit my head twice). As you can see it once had electricity, but now it is wood stoves and oil lamps, a definite step back in time (forget about indoor plumbing folks).

Enjoy

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:13 AM   #10

Ira,

Nice shot. I forgot it is almost school yr end and you are busy. Likely you will post more after school is over

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote