Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:35 AM   #1

From yesterday morning. K10D with a AF LD Tamron 70-300mm Lens.

Dawg

No. 1
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:37 AM   #2

No. 2
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4

No. 4
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:38 AM   #5

No. 5
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:41 AM   #6

No. 6
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 3:28 AM   #7

Some great flower shots,3,4 imho are the best

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:36 AM   #8

No. 3 is my favorite. Bearing in mind that I'm certainly no expert when it comes to anything in photography, but I do take lots of flower pictures. So take what I'm going to sayfor what it's worth - just one person's opinion. What I, personally, like to see in my own flower photos is a definite subject. What my eye is drawn to in your first one is the dead flower laying on the full bloom that is half-way cut off. I think your subject is the buds, but they are a bit soft, and there's too many other things in the picture frame that draw my eye away from them. It looks like many of my pictures where I can't quite make up my mind what I want to show - when there's two possible subjects and I try to include both of them, it never seems to work.

Just my opinion, but I've had better luck NOT using the rule of thirds with flowers. I find that I prefer pictures where theflower fills the frame, rather than having lots of OOF background. If it were me, for no. 2 I'd probably crop all of the top, some of the side and a bit from the bottom. I'd probably also crop a bit off the bottom of number 3, but that's my taste in flowers, rather than a "right answer" type of thing. I can't decide what it is that bothers me about with #4 - itSHOULD be my favorite one (love the flowers, framing etc.). Maybe it's just my monitor but it looks a bit soft orsomething.

I really like the sharpness and color of#5 (and it wasmy initial first choice)- butthefirst thing I noticed is the petals being cut off the top (a distraction). Just me, but I think I would have been tempted to crop the bottom and sides a bit, to make it look like Imeant to cut off all of the petals, or else shot thisportrait mode. It's very nice otherwise!

The last one appeals to me - I take similar shots quite often. However, they never quite look as good on the monitor as they did in real life, and I can't quite figure out how to make them work. If anyone else has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them - yours works better than mine usually do.

Please take this as what it is- just my opinion. Feel free to totally disagree with me, I'm certainly not an expert at these things (when someone asks me if I'm a photographer, I say "I'm not a photographer yet, I have a photography hobby"). One of these days I hope to take a photography class and have someone who is a real photographer tell me how what the answers really are as they apply to how I "see" the world.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:08 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
No. 3 is my favorite. Bearing in mind that I'm certainly no expert when it comes to anything in photography, but I do take lots of flower pictures. So take what I'm going to sayfor what it's worth - just one person's opinion. What I, personally, like to see in my own flower photos is a definite subject. What my eye is drawn to in your first one is the dead flower laying on the full bloom that is half-way cut off. I think your subject is the buds, but they are a bit soft, and there's too many other things in the picture frame that draw my eye away from them. It looks like many of my pictures where I can't quite make up my mind what I want to show - when there's two possible subjects and I try to include both of them, it never seems to work.

Just my opinion, but I've had better luck NOT using the rule of thirds with flowers. I find that I prefer pictures where theflower fills the frame, rather than having lots of OOF background. If it were me, for no. 2 I'd probably crop all of the top, some of the side and a bit from the bottom. I'd probably also crop a bit off the bottom of number 3, but that's my taste in flowers, rather than a "right answer" type of thing. I can't decide what it is that bothers me about with #4 - itSHOULD be my favorite one (love the flowers, framing etc.). Maybe it's just my monitor but it looks a bit soft orsomething.

I really like the sharpness and color of#5 (and it wasmy initial first choice)- butthefirst thing I noticed is the petals being cut off the top (a distraction). Just me, but I think I would have been tempted to crop the bottom and sides a bit, to make it look like Imeant to cut off all of the petals, or else shot thisportrait mode. It's very nice otherwise!

The last one appeals to me - I take similar shots quite often. However, they never quite look as good on the monitor as they did in real life, and I can't quite figure out how to make them work. If anyone else has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them - yours works better than mine usually do.

Please take this as what it is- just my opinion. Feel free to totally disagree with me, I'm certainly not an expert at these things (when someone asks me if I'm a photographer, I say "I'm not a photographer yet, I have a photography hobby"). One of these days I hope to take a photography class and have someone who is a real photographer tell me how what the answers really are as they apply to how I "see" the world.
Trust me I'm never offended by any comments about my photos. Lanscapes are what I do best but I've been trying birds and flowers for a little while now and I'm no expert either. Your comments and critiques are the reason I post my photos. If you did not give them I would learn nothing. Positive critisism and feed back is a desired element of my posting on these forum. With out it I would go along cluelessly and continue making the same lame mistakes with out knowing they were wrong. Saying that I also some times disagree with the comments made and after evaluation We will have to agree to disagree as each person has differing tastes. I do agree with most everything you've said. I post process most of my photos and sometimes can go overboard with them. These were not post processed that much as far as sharpening and noise reduction or cropping but there was some over doing in the noise reduction on a few of them. Also the charateristics of the lens makes a difference in the DOF, as well as the selection of the focus mode. When shooting flowers I usually opt for a spot focus and backing away on the zoom tends to make the center front of a flower bed in focus but the remainder blurred. This may be the same problem you're having with your broad shots...Not to mention shooting sometimes with too low an f/stop to overcome the shade and shadows. I do not follow a rule of thirds most times but wind up using it with out thinking as in the end I post what pleases my eye not what might be pleasing to every one. The rules so to speak catch up with you whether you wish to follow them or not it seems. LOL Thank you for commenting and helping me out. Together we can progress in this chosen endeavor. Again many thanks.

Dawg
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:36 PM   #10

Thanks for the explanation - the noise reduction is probably what bothered me on #4 (couldn't figure it out because the DOF looked fine). I usually add additionalUSM (or smart sharpen)to photos that I've run through Neat Image - I find it helps often (but not always). The other thing I've used on occasion is to sharpen, and then if there's an OOF background that looks too grainy, I'll use one of the blur filters to deal with it, rather than use a noise reduction program. It all depends on the shot - no hard rules (wish there were).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote