Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:25 AM   #1

I have a ist DL with kit lens and af-360 flash. I love Pentax, but I am constantly getting it wrong with focus and exposure when taking indoor pictures. On auto it will slightly over compensate and/or chose a low shutter speed (45) which blurs some of the shots. If I set the shutter speed at 90 it still requires me to play with the over and under comp setting to be happy.

I have very poor eyes and seem to miss the focus or miss a shot cause it takesme so long for the autofocus to find the image.

I know it is me, but I didn't seem to have the same issue when I shot with my film camera Pentax zx-5n with FA-28-70-aL KIT LENS. I have read a couple of books but nothing has solved my user error problem and inability to make the move to digital.

I know this is 100% operator error, and I am not the brightest bulb on the x-mass tree, but is their a tweak on the camera in ISO and/or white balance I should always make shooting indoors.

Would an upgradea newer Pentax resolve it?

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:13 PM   #2

Try using the flash in P-TTL mode, camera set to ISO 200 or 400, Manual mode Shutter 1/180th sec, Aperture f/4 - f/5.6, if close up (3ft or less) drop aperture to f/8.

Those setting should be well within the range of the flash in P-TTL mode, having the ISO up will allow for the flash to extend quite some distance and use less powerand therefore cycle quicker. A diffuser on the flash also helps with indoor shots.

Try these settings and shoot a few shots around your house indoors and see the effectiveness. You might have to dial in a little flash comp, but once you have the settings you should find they can be used consistently.

Poor focus can be a few different things, I have noticed that if I use the flash AF assist lamp for focus in near dark situations, it results in out of focus images. Don't know if it is front focusing or back focusing and doesn't always do it.

Also depending on your lens you are using can impact on the depth of field, shorter focal length are better option. Check your focus point are you using centre spot or area. I use centre spot all the time.

Hope this might help

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:49 PM   #3

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
I have a ist DL with kit lens and af-360 flash.¬* I love Pentax, but I am constantly getting it wrong with focus and exposure when taking indoor pictures.¬* On auto it will slightly over compensate and/or ¬*chose a low shutter speed (45) which blurs some of the shots. ¬*If I set the shutter speed at 90 it still requires me to play with the over and under comp setting to be happy.

I have very poor eyes and seem to miss the focus or miss a shot cause it takes¬*me so long for the autofocus to find the image.

I know it is me, but I didn't seem to have the same issue when I shot with my film camera Pentax zx-5n with FA-28-70-aL KIT LENS.¬* I have read a couple of books but nothing has solved my user error problem and inability to make the move to digital.¬*¬*
Your Pentax zx-5n with FA-28-70 use TTL which as far as I can see is more precise and less erratic than pTTL (DL & AF360).

Quote:
I know this is ¬*100% operator error, and I am not the brightest bulb on the x-mass tree, but is their a tweak on the camera in ISO and/or white balance I should always make shooting indoors.

Would an upgrade¬*a newer Pentax resolve it?
Upgrading will not help as all new dslr (K1ooD & K10D) use pTTL.

Try out Crash method and restrict your subject to the distance between 4 ft and 12 ft away.

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:00 PM   #4

thanks what is the crash method
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

I think "the crash method" refers to the hints suggested by crashman in the above post. I could be mistaken though, so this is just my interpretation of this conversation.

Best regards,

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:02 PM   #6

thepusher wrote:
Quote:
I think "the crash method" refers to the hints suggested by crashman in the above post. I could be mistaken though, so this is just my interpretation of this conversation.

Best regards,

-thepusher
Bowenp

Yes. Just do not crash anything. Yet.

Daniel
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:44 PM   #7

I wouldn't call it the crash method :lol: Just another method that I was taught.

I look at it this way,

Av mode lets you set the Aperture and the camera controls shutter for correct exposure.

Tv mode lets you set the Shutter and the camera controls Aperture for correct exposure.

Manual mode you set the shutter and aperture to what you want and the flash in P-TTL mode controls the flash to provide correct exposure.

The closer your shutter and aperture settings are to correct ambient light exposure the less flash required and therefore faster recycle times of the flash unit as the flash sometimes is just popping little pulses of light to achieve correct exposure.

You will know when you are pushing your flash because you will hear it when it goes off and it is recharging. (i.e "Silence of the lambs" when they are photographing the deceased girl)

Experiment and you will see for yourself. I have used 1/180sec and f/8-f/11 for flash in P-TTL mode for shots under 30cm without blow out.

Crash
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:24 PM   #8

cool ... if it works (I'm sure it will) I'll by your book ... :-)
Already has a great marketing name .. 'The Crash method".
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:01 AM   #9

I just had a play with mine and the shutter maxed out at 1/100sec unless I selected High Speed Sync on my flash unit.

1/100th sec is fast enough for portraits.

I found ISO400 and f/5.6-6.3 to be well within the flashes capabilities for ranges between 2-5 metres.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:03 PM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't call it the crash method :lol:¬* Just another method that I was taught.

I look at it this way,

Manual mode you set the shutter and aperture to what you want and the flash in¬* P-TTL mode controls the flash to provide correct exposure.¬*

Crash
Crash
If the mode is set to manual, the flash (AF360) will fire at full force if I am correct.

Bowenp
My AF360 has the spring popped out and since then it is NOT registering the correct FL anymore. Very erratic indeed. When you are using auto pTLL, does the FL changes according to the focal length of your zoom?
This is important if the flash is not recognising the correct FL it will definitely gives you wrong exposure. That I suppose is very easy for you to check

Daniel