Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:35 AM   #11

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I know this should be asked on the general question area, but I am more intrested in how my fellow Pentaxian handle there photos.

I am going through my photos backing them up MANUALLY into a dvd and it takes about 5 dvds to back up ALL of my photos taken with my Pentax DS/K100D. I had the cameras for about 2 years now. Now that I am shooting in RAW, I am taking A LOT of space on my hard drive. I have a really big 500GB backup drive but I also store videos and other multimedia contain in there too.

During the two year period, I never delete any of my photos except for those really bad one where you can't see anything. But anything in focus I saved. Since I am going through all my photos right now to backup, I notice that a lot of them are pointless shots that I won't even dare to show people.

So my question is, do you save all of your photos or do you delete them if it is not worth it?

From now on, I will delete all my random shot photo, especially the RAW one. I will also convert all my decent photos into jpeg and delete the raw. The one that I really like, I will keep them in RAW.
I save majority of them temporarily in my hard drive . Later on relocate them to DVD . They are stored chronologically with note as to where they were shot. 30 cents for around 4.5G of storage is cheap.

Daniel, Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:26 AM   #12

Black Knight, I hope you're not using DVD-RW for long term storage. Those discs are far less reliable than standard DVD-R and DVD+R.

I recently began converting a lot of my RAW files to DNGs using the free converter from Adobe. It doesn't take very long to do, it doesn't appear to throw away any data, and it cuts the file sizes in half. I'm not sure if it's equally effective at compressing all RAW files, but that's how it is on my K100D PEFs.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:45 AM   #13

As I have progressed in this hobby I find myself being more and more selective about what I keep and stuff that I discard now may have been the best of the lot seven months ago. I don't delete many in camera, unless memory card space is an issue, but when I upload into my computer (through Picasa) I immediately cull 30%-50%. If I were to go back to my earlier folders I would discard hundreds of shots that were "good enough" then but don't really measure by my current standards.

I still shoot mainly jpeg so storage is not quite so much of an issue. I built my computer with a mirrored RAID and my wife and I back up to each other's computers through the home network. I know I need to start burning DVD backups but I have not gotten around to it.

I would like to get a home server at some point down the road.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:17 PM   #14

I record and archive all of them in numerical order. Then after processing the very good ones I burn them also to CD. I always make a backup copy of everything and store them in a saftey deposit box. Every 5-6 years I will need to re-copy to whatever new technology is out there. Cost is so low compared to film that it is funny now remembering how much I used to spend on development costs. I keep all of them to remind me of how far I have come in my development. Sort of a progression table.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:04 PM   #15

me too, if it's crap, why keep it??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:55 PM   #16

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight, I hope you're not using DVD-RW for long term storage. Those discs are far less reliable than standard DVD-R and DVD+R.

I recently began converting a lot of my RAW files to DNGs using the free converter from Adobe. It doesn't take very long to do, it doesn't appear to throw away any data, and it cuts the file sizes in half. I'm not sure if it's equally effective at compressing all RAW files, but that's how it is on my K100D PEFs.
Hi Corpsy

Nope. At years end what i have is archived to DVD-R discs. And i only Use Taiyo Yuden media.

Thanks

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:14 AM   #17

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I still shoot mainly jpeg so storage is not quite so much of an issue
I generally store stuff to DVD's by month.... sometimes 2 months fit on one, but again even JPG there have been a couple of months it barely fit on one and had to do some further culling.

And again after probably deleting 70% by then

Then again my current K10D is only 4 months old and already approacking 11K frames.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:00 AM   #18
PDL

deleted duplicate message
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:02 AM   #19
PDL

I copy my SD cards to my Wolverine flashpac 700 - never directly from the SD to the main box.

From the Wolverine I burn DVD's (no post processing - just RAW).

I copy the images off of the Wolverine to a folder (using the Wolverine numbering system) on my primary PC hard drive. Then create another folder by month and copy the RAW files there - so far that makes 4 copies - unfortunately2 of them are on the same device.

The DVD's are stored away for a later day.

When I do PP - I convert the images from PEF to their final output (JPEG) for printing or display on computer screens. I burn a DVD periodically of my "Working" folder that contains final web and print output files.

Now as to RAID, backup, archive and disaster recovery - four different subjects.

RAID provides fault tolerance - not backup. Lose enough spindles and your just as dead as not having RAID.

DVD's provide backup of images as does making copies of images on other spindles (by spindles I mean separate hard drives - single spindles can have multiple partitions but if you lose the spindle, you lose all the data). It is rare to have two spindles die at the same time (I had 2 drives die on a 5 spindle RAID 5 array - so it does happen)

Archive means the data (in this case images) are stored off site for a specified period of time on media other that the source. EG. DVD, CD, Worm, Tape or even paper (printed images). That way the data can be recovered regardless of the target hardware. This also requires that the data is not OS, Vendor or program specific.

USB hard drives are not a good means of archive - hard drives fail - they are the most often failed component of any large data management system. USB may only be a standard for a relatively short period of time too.

Now as for disaster recover - this means a Backup of the OS on a device that is refreshed on a regular basis. USB drives are a good way to go here. In my case I create a OS based backup with system state to a USB drive of the system drive (in my case using Windows Vista Ultimate - the built in Backup utility) once a quarter. I wish I had done this on my Windows 2003 server - yesterday its C: drive crashed - bummer. (Just try and find a 20GB drive these days)

Any way - once you have your disaster recovery disk - you can quickly restore your system to its pre-crash state (including installed software) in short order. Much faster that doing a clean install and reloading all your software.

So - in conclusion - Take the image. Store the image on the Wolverine (which is getting full and will be reformatted shortly) burn a DVD off the Wolverine (RAW archive). Copy to main computer HD - copy to monthly folder. PP out of the monthly folder. Move to working (or work in database of Lightroom) - save final output.

Burn DVD of monthly folders and Working folders on a "WHAT THE FF-- AAHH SHooT (replace the oo with i) basis. What I need now is a small NAS with about 1.5 TB - and I do know where to get a 10TB NAS for less than 12,000 USD, now with that I would not have to get rid of anything.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:47 PM   #20

Hi,

To each his/her own. I keep memories and scrap the rest. They are copyied on both an external hard drive and CD/DVD.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote