Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1

I know this should be asked on the general question area, but I am more intrested in how my fellow Pentaxian handle there photos.

I am going through my photos backing them up MANUALLY into a dvd and it takes about 5 dvds to back up ALL of my photos taken with my Pentax DS/K100D. I had the cameras for about 2 years now. Now that I am shooting in RAW, I am taking A LOT of space on my hard drive. I have a really big 500GB backup drive but I also store videos and other multimedia contain in there too.

During the two year period, I never delete any of my photos except for those really bad one where you can't see anything. But anything in focus I saved. Since I am going through all my photos right now to backup, I notice that a lot of them are pointless shots that I won't even dare to show people.

So my question is, do you save all of your photos or do you delete them if it is not worth it?

From now on, I will delete all my random shot photo, especially the RAW one. I will also convert all my decent photos into jpeg and delete the raw. The one that I really like, I will keep them in RAW.

Really I am not concern about hard drive space because a 500GB internal drive can be bought for about $100 which is nothing. I am doing this just so I won't have to dig through all the bad photos when looking.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I know this should be asked on the general question area, but I am more intrested in how my fellow Pentaxian handle there photos.
Well all I can say is many are deleted on the spot where even 2.5" lcd says its crap.

NICE THING ABOUT DIGITAL... no shooting cost.... and again leave things on the card where reshoting short time frame of availability,to review, but even before home still on the LCD. dump more... some is just getting exposure right in non average conditions AE tries to do. (I LOVE THE FIRMWARE UP GRADE abilitiy of P mode having shutterr or apperture on one wheel of the 10D and EC/EV on the other very powerful and finger tip quick combo in non average (AE) conditions.

Overall I'd say at MOST I keep is maybe around 25% of what actually shot, sometimes less, and much of that still is just not bad, though still of interest as moment in time caught, buit nothing I'd ever put out there.... then your are talking 5% or less at that point... and any serious photographer would probably tell you released to the public for sale, or show 1% or less..

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:34 AM   #3

I see no point in keeping pictures that are second to the best one of the same subject. I usually take three or more frames of any subject and when back home I delete all but one. As Hayward says, that's the charmwith digital: nowwe as amateurs can afford to do as the pro's have always done and click away like madmen.

But – I'd never throwaway a RAW of a picture I want to keep. Bit by bit even I get better at post processing, and it happens that I go back to an old picture to post process it better than I did the first time.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:50 AM   #4
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I see no point in keeping pictures that are second to the best one of the same subject. I usually take three or more frames of any subject and when back home I delete all but one. As Hayward says, that's the charmwith digital: nowwe as amateurs can afford to do as the pro's have always done and click away like madmen.

But – I'd never throwaway a RAW of a picture I want to keep. Bit by bit even I get better at post processing, and it happens that I go back to an old picture to post process it better than I did the first time.

Kjell
same here, I delete the "almosts" and keep the RWA + processed files of the good ones
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:55 AM   #5

When just starting I kept every shot, but every year the amount of shots has been more than doubling.

Now with going for RAW+JPG I'm slowly switching into keeping only those I really like. The bad one's have always been deleted directly.

I've got the processed and originals in split directory's and if I ever run out of disk space I might start deleting then (have them on dvd and a usb backup drive), but propably go for another usb drive.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:05 AM   #6

You aren't archiving them to CDor DVD?

Boy you have a lot of faith in Hard Drives..... mine never stay there more than a month or two, and even then often in two places on different drives redundantly.

And when saved to DVD do TWO copies of different makes.... so less likey to physically fail at the same time... or at least different parts of the disc.

EDIT OOPS you did say DVD in there, but again I'd say be redundant about that too, if its anything you really care about. (And recopy them every 5 years or so no matter the disc lifteime manufacturer claims)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:54 AM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Kjell
Same here.

As to storing Them. After getting them on my PC. I immediatly burn to DVD-RW and to my Backup drive. I then do my deleates and PP. At that point that they are finished i Burn them to my finished DVD and again To my Backup drive. And deleate the first set.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:36 AM   #8

I really struggle with this. So far, I have:

320 Gig internal drive;
120 Gig External drive;
160 Gig External Drive;
250 Gig External Drive;
80 Gig External Drive.

I am close to having 1000 Gigs of storage, and I still wish I had more. The idea of backing up to DVDs worries me because of the format changes that have been made and may be made in the future--I don't want an unreadable format down the road.

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:04 AM   #9

25% of what I shoot never makes it back to my computer. Of the remaining 75%, about half of those get deleted. Most that get deleted are some of the multiple shots when I have taken 3 or 4 of the same subject (the worst two usually). Shots that I look at and say to myself "what was I thinking, or was I even thinking, when I took that shot?". Shots that are irreparably out of focus or exposure.

So, about 35 - 40 per cent remain in my archives.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:04 AM   #10

Oops, double post. Sorry!
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote