Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:31 PM   #11

You decided not to buy – someone else decided to buy. What's the issue?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:58 PM   #12

Just seems nuts..... oh well hope they are happy with it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:58 AM   #13

It is an A* not an A, which is a big difference. If you can't afford expensive glass, don't buy it just like Kjell said.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:06 AM   #14

I think I finally understood Hayward's system for passing judgement on lenses and cameras.

Hayward has it = marvellous, a FIND, outstanding, unbeatable, do your dishes and laundry as well and is often given away on ebay byNICE people who are not in it for the MONEY.

Hayward doesn't have it = crappy, unworthy litter, a disgrace to it's MAKERS and buyers. Designed to STEAL the money OFF people who doesn't know bet...TER.

Have I got it right?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:54 PM   #15
TDN

Well, what Tom said a few posts above makes sence for this one. Supply and demand.

Also, consider this something like Zeiss glass for Nikon. Those T* lenses go for much more than this new, and they offer manual focus only aswell.

Note that 5 different buyers were willing to pay over 1000$ for it...

Yes it is way too expensive for you and me, and there are plenty of good, much cheaper alternatives, but once you're in the ballpark of buying 1000$ lenses...well I don't think you care much about an extra 100$ more or less.

Just look at the prices for Zeiss T* glass or Canon L glass these days... twice or 3 times of what this one went for.

Also note that Pentax does not have a newer Autofocus alternative for this one. The range skips from the FA* 85mm to the FA* 200mm.
That makes this the only star lens at 135mm...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:46 PM   #16

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Well, what Tom said a few posts above makes sence for this one. Supply and demand.

Also, consider this something like Zeiss glass for Nikon. Those T* lenses go for much more than this new, and they offer manual focus only aswell.

Note that 5 different buyers were willing to pay over 1000$ for it...

Yes it is way too expensive for you and me, and there are plenty of good, much cheaper alternatives, but once you're in the ballpark of buying 1000$ lenses...well I don't think you care much about an extra 100$ more or less.

Just look at the prices for Zeiss T* glass or Canon L glass these days... twice or 3 times of what this one went for.

Also note that Pentax does not have a newer Autofocus alternative for this one. The range skips from the FA* 85mm to the FA* 200mm.
That makes this the only star lens at 135mm...
Exactly!

As I mentioned several days ago in another post supply & demand always drives the market..

And, like you have stated, Pentax does not currently offer anything between 85mm & 200mm..

With the surge of people world-wide buying & apparentlyusing their Pentax cameras where else do they have to turn to to acquire lenses that Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, & Tokina do not have in their respective catalogs..

If there were other alternatives to bidding high on e-Bay to get what you want then I believe that people would pursue those paths..

Most people who know about cameras know that the Pentax lenses that have been rising astronomically in price arehigh qualitylenses..People have always been willing to pay for quality..As the saying goes, "Quality lasts"..

I myself have been guilty ofstarting threadsabout the high prices that recent Pentax lenses have been fetching..It will be interesting to see how high the most sought after lenses go to..

If the next several generations of Pentax DSLR cameras continue to allow full backward compatibility with even the M42 screw-mount lenses, then the demand for older glass in good condition will just continue to grow..

I dont think the situation will ease until Pentax has an adequate world-wide supply of the new lenses, & brings to market replacements for all of the discontinued A*, F*, & FA* lenses that are in such demand.

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote