Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:14 AM   #11

Hi Lisa,

Welcome! . . . and you obviously have good taste in cameras. . .:-)

Looks like you have had quite a few great photo ops already, and you've taken advantage of them admirably.

Look forward to more contributions in the future.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:06 AM   #12

Welcome,

and what a series to begin with

hope to see more, and enjoy your new camera

Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:04 AM   #13

Thanks, Scott and Ronny!
Mtngrl..it is indeed a small world..wow..what are the odds,eh.I just moved here three years ago..wonderful small town in the valley..nice lake,river and a bison compound which I will be practicing alot at..
Rodney..I will pass along your compliment to Chybbies..he will show off even more now..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:54 AM   #14

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Scott and Ronny!
Mtngrl..it is indeed a small world..wow..what are the odds,eh.I just moved here three years ago..wonderful small town in the valley..nice lake,river and a bison compound which I will be practicing alot at..
Rodney..I will pass along your compliment to Chybbies..he will show off even more now..:-)
lisa
Lisa, It is so good to hear from you. Happy that you got a DSLR finally. How do you like it? I know I've enjoyd mine so much that since Feb. I've already shot nearly 8 thousand photos. Welcome to this forum.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:33 AM   #15

welcome, lisa
you made a great decision with the k100. it's a fine camera.
wish i had the wildlife opps you seem to have. grizz can stay home as far as i'm concerned tho.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:57 PM   #16

Hey Dawg..good to see you again!..wow..thats alot of photos..lol..but I can believe it..its pretty easy just to keep shooting (practicing..as I like to call it). I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours..:-)

Thanks for the welcome,Roy...yes..we are kind of lucky with the wildlife here..altho everyone keeps calling this bear a grizzly but as far as I know weh ave none in the wild here.I think she's a variation of a black..apparently they come in diff colours.Her baby was very light. Grizzley or not I knew enough not to get in between them..
Here's a pic I wish would have been sharper but he popped out for just a sec and caught me by surprise..lol..( I didn't even know he was there.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:35 PM   #17

Great shots, welcome aboard.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:39 PM   #18

Quote:
I think she's a variation of a black..apparently they come in diff colours.
You are correct in that there is a cinnamon phase of the Black Bear, which long ago was thought to be a separate species. I believe the color is a genetic recessive to the black color, so it is not overly common anywhere except in the mountains of Southern California, where the bear is introduced, and the first ones released were of the cinnamon phase. Biologistsknow this abnormal frequency of recessive traits as attributable toa "Founder Principle", wherein the traits of the population reflect the genetic makeup of the founders of that population. Probably more than you wanted to know.

You were luckyto be able to catch the cub in a picture, anyway. With the drought we have been having, the bears around here have been coming down out of the mountains in search of food and water. The TV people had a field day a week or so ago when a large cinnamon sow and her cub came down and raided the avocado trees in someones yard, and the owners didn't seem to mind.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:44 PM   #19

Great pictures, but I could do without the bears. They are getting to be a bigger problem than normal this year - one broke into a local store a couple of weeks ago, and there have been quite a few sightings already. We've also had several sightings of mountain lions, more so than normal. It's going to be a very long summer this year, so I sure wish I were up north with you. By the way, my hubby said that he has quite a bit of family (uncles, aunts and cousins) in Minnedosa, but he never actually lived there (he grew up further north, in Flin Flon). And for non-Canadians (or non-hockey fans), there really is a town called Flin Flon.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:51 AM   #20

Penolta..thanks for the info....apparently in that area there is a lighter coloured adult also.It's a great 45 minute drive thru there..moose..elk..bears..and last year for the first time in 25 years I saw a lynx..unfortunately sans camera.When I make the trek thru there..the camera is always on and ready(well..except that one time..ain't that always the way)..
Mtngrl..ahh..Flin Flon..the home of Bobby Clark (for you hockey fans)..A nice northern town built on rock..and gorgeous lake country.Worked there many times.Next time I am up there I'll take a couple photos for you..
Lisa